PDA

View Full Version : 04 400ex's: 38mm carbs right from honda

slates74
12-01-2003, 02:41 PM
I discovered while looking on honda's site that for 2004 the 400ex's come with 38mm carburetors according to the specs part of the site, check it out. Previous years came with 35.5mm carbs.

Juggalo
12-01-2003, 02:50 PM
uhhhh we already knew this already.... and doesn't prove if its really true or not cuz it may be a typo

slates74
12-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks for making me feel like an *** man, sorry that i didnt realize everyone on this night knew this already, as it was news to me

300XFST4602
12-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
uhhhh we already knew this already.... and doesn't prove if its really true or not cuz it may be a typo

I think it is true cause there was a kid on this sit that ha da friend that just got an 2004 and he said it took his piped 2001ex......

Juggalo
12-01-2003, 04:33 PM
slates sorry i wasn't tryin to make ya feel like an *** i was just tellin ya, if i didn't do it somebody else would have.

personally i don't believe it, i don't think they'd use the same part number if they were different.

cals400ex
12-01-2003, 09:25 PM
yeah, i don't think anyone on here is positive one way or another if they still have 35.5's or 38's. by the way, it is very possible that a stock bike can take a piped one. when i was stock i took a 400ex with pipe, jetting and k&n filter. there is a lot more to it than the size of the carb. i had 5mph on this bike on top speed. we were both clocked with the same motorcycle the same night. why did i simply smoke this kid?? my throttle cable is adjusted and his isn't. also, i have seen many piped bikes slower than stock ones due to the simple fact that they don't jet their bike correctly. too many people around here don't change the stock jets after modding their bikes or they get a mainjet way too big (because you know, bigger is always better :rolleyes: ). i have beat several piped bikes, even on top speed, when mine was stock. too many people think their getting a big gain out of their pipe without jetting or jetting wrong. i personaly think it is in there heads they are getting this gain because for one, the bike is louder, for two, there is more vibration, for three, they just put a performance product on so there is definately more power. jetting, throttle cable adjustements, weight/size of tires, tire pressure, sprockets, etc. all make a difference. i am not disproving the fact that the new bikes don't have bigger carbs, i am just saying a stock bike can take a piped bike more often than many people think. anyways, i would like to know about the carb for the record. :D

pnut420
12-01-2003, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cals400ex
QUOTE]

Damn man must be tired after all that typing :devil:

cals400ex
12-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cals400ex
QUOTE]

Damn man must be tired after all that typing :devil:

yeah, i am pretty tired. i have typed quite a few long posts tonight. i have to get off before i get hooked to this site even more. i need to go study microbiology. fun fun

pnut420
12-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
yeah, i am pretty tired. i have typed quite a few long posts tonight. i have to get off before i get hooked to this site even more. i need to go study microbiology. fun fun

Im doing my **** tomarrow. These forums suck cause they are way to addicting.

04EXdude
12-02-2003, 05:04 AM
Here's my theory on the matter; Honda wanted to give the 400EX a little boost in HP to counter attack the Z400 without spending a butt load of $$$ because they have the 450R coming. The reason dealers act like they don't know about this change could be
1. They need to push the 03s out the door.
2. They don't want to take any sales away from the 450R.
3. The bigger carb had too little HP gain to notice.
4. Maybe they didn't get the memo.
When I bought my dealer did try to push an 03 but I insisted on the 04. Even he said he didn't know of any changes. Again, this is all in theory...........
:confused:

12-02-2003, 06:24 AM
I think the whole 38mm carb is.................http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bullchit.gif

Somebody call honda directly and speak with the 400ex engineers and find out..

ZSK
12-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Just a thought but has anyone actually put a micrometer to the carbs and settled the debate?

4TraxRider
12-02-2003, 08:04 AM
I just had my carb of my 04', and had the old stock carb off of my 01' EX and they look identical, if that helps at all. The bell sizes are the same to my eye.

ZSK
12-02-2003, 08:28 AM
What about the inside diameter, both intake and exhaust (in from the airbox out to the engine)?

86atc250r
12-02-2003, 09:11 AM
The bell sizes are not important... My FCR39 has identical bell sizes to the stock carb. The inside bore of the carb is the important factor.