PDA

View Full Version : Favorite front end setup

4TraxRider
12-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Hey guys, just wondering whate everyones thoughts were on what long travel setup everybody likes most and why. I'm really leaning toward the Lobo ll front end or the Laegers T-pin with Elka Quadrate shocks. Does anybody here run any of those setups, if so how do you like them. I'm open to any suggestions on what works and what's hype, I race amateur MX and need somthing a little more than my old +2 with Ohlins set-up, and I've got about 2600 saved up for a front end. Thanks ahead of time.

muff
12-01-2003, 12:56 PM
I will be picking up a long travel setup tomorrow, Walsh a-arms and PEP shocks, in my opinion this is a top setup

I have been to Walsh's shop, and seen him and his brother race, their quality is really high and they are cool people to talk to

the top of the line PEP shocks are the big can ressies,

www.walshracecraft.com

the a-arms are $1100, the shocks are the same for compression adjust. for dual adjust suspension it's 4-500 more

$2200 ish for the a-arms and shocks, this also comes with walshs tie rod ends

http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/images/yam450parts/yfz450PEPzpsFront2.jpg

one of my friends has LT housers and quad rate elkas...they were nice but not as smooth as the PEP/walsh setups I have seen

YLW400
12-01-2003, 01:02 PM
I am running +3 Gibsons with 19" PEP ZPS and love it..Granted I have never ridden another quad with aftermarket stuff...Wait I have ridden an EX with +2 Housers and 16" Axis and it felt awesome too.....Just about so awesome that I really couldn't tell too much of a difference, but I am not "A" rider either....

Juggalo
12-01-2003, 01:03 PM
my faves the T-pin but i like the gibson too

slosh13
12-01-2003, 01:11 PM
i dont have alot of money to spend on a front end, but ive been working my ***** off to get one. Im looking at the JB Racing/ PEP lt or the LSR/TCS LT setups

KandK952
12-01-2003, 02:12 PM
The setup that I use and really like is a PRP LT front end, using 19" PEP ARC ZPS shocks. (they are the ones with the big reservoirs and 8 click adjustable compression) These shocks I think are the best you can buy, however... they are really expensive if you want to have rebound adjustability too. I think they retail for like 1500, and PRP's a-arms cost I think 800. They turn really well and have a lot of travel. Or you could get Walsh a-arms, they are probably the very best a-arms you can buy from what I have heard, plus I have ridden on one set. you wont go wrong either way.

Dave400ex
12-01-2003, 02:31 PM
I would really like to try a Roll Design front end. If not Roll, I would go with a ArsFX/Axis setup or Elka/Houser setup, unless I could get an Elka/Arens setup.

EvilJester400EX
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Laeger T-pin is the top setup as far as handling, so I've heard. I don't like Elka shocks very much though. If it was me, Laeger T-Pin and Axis, TCS, or PEP.

seven
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I have a +3 burgard long travel with Tcs 19inch shocks and it works great. I have never been on a shock as smooth as this. It sucks up everything with ease. I havent nit any big jumps with it yet but im sure it will be awsome. I highly recomend the TCS!

4TraxRider
12-02-2003, 08:19 AM
I was talking to Walsh for a while at a few races this season and i liked his stuff a lot, but there was a long wait and it was very expensive. I really like the Laegers T-pin the more i read and see them, i'm still a little tore between what shocks though. I've ridden two TCS setups, and they felt stiff and harsh. My buddy just got a set of PEP's for his YFZ and nobody can come anywhere near dialing them in and the ride height is all screwed up and he had to send them back twice. Elka and Axis is the only brand I haven't tried yet, but is seems not many people like them. I'm calling Axis again tonight and probably make my decision tomarrow. Any other opinions would be great, thanks a lot guys.

YLW400
12-02-2003, 08:26 AM
I Would honestly say if you went with Axis, PEP, or Elka, you will be fine. I run every weekend with guys that run all 3. I personally run PEP. And one guy had a problem with a rear Elka, sent it to them and had it back within 2 weeks I believe. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them...

pnut420
12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
My buddy just got a set of PEP's for his YFZ and nobody can come anywhere near dialing them in and the ride height is all screwed up and he had to send them back twice.

Im sure Derisi or the Quad shop could get them dialed first time on almost any shock... You should be able to adjust the ride height on the front shocks, mine have a clip you can take out and out up like 3 more notches to make it ride lower. PEP are awesome, so its not a PEP problem..

My brother has PEP and I have Works and as far as trail riding they both are pretty close, but on the MX track I expect the PEP to do alot better, the Works did bottom once or twice.

Ride400exj
12-02-2003, 04:48 PM
best set up is a Lonestar DC-4 Arms and pep 19" shocks and BTW you dont gain more then a 1/3 of a inch with so called long travel and with the 19" shocks and arms u get a better handeling bike because of how the shocks set so close to the end of the arm talk to a pro or elka pep <peps are works body's and springs with pep made valve's> axis works u dont gain more then a 1/3" give or take a little< thats were i got all of this info from> and i dont have this set up but i have ridden them many times on the yzf450 witch is a great bike for now<hint hint>

seven
12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
You only gain with long travel with more room for valving and oil. You really dont gain any extra travel its more accuratly called long shock.

muff
12-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Ride400exj
<peps are works body's and springs with pep made valve's>

yea I think I see the resemblence now :confused:

http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/images/yam450parts/yfz450PEPzpsFront2.jpghttp://www.mountainperformance.com/images/shocks_works_many_1-final-800.jpg

you say LT is just a long shock...yea, but over this longer range you have more room for the shock to be plush and slowly start to stiffen as the shock decompresses

seven
12-02-2003, 07:41 PM
You mite be thinking of TCS. When they were first brought out they did use works body and gutted them and put there own valving in.

Santo DeRisi
12-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Hey guys, just wondering whate everyones thoughts were on what long travel setup everybody likes most and why. I'm really leaning toward the Lobo ll front end or the Laegers T-pin with Elka Quadrate shocks. Does anybody here run any of those setups, if so how do you like them. I'm open to any suggestions on what works and what's hype, I race amateur MX and need somthing a little more than my old +2 with Ohlins set-up, and I've got about 2600 saved up for a front end. Thanks ahead of time.

I would go with a Lobo or a ARS FX front end and Definately go with Custom Axis front shocks b/c of quality and durability!