PDA

View Full Version : gearing-ice drag races

speedy400
12-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Hi, every year I go in a atv ice drag comp. on a lake near by, this year I'm going to try out ice studs in the rear tires with tubes. Last year I used carpenter screws and that worked fine but I'd like to try something diffrent this year...anyways, last year my gearing was stock with 22 inch rears and I had jet kit, mega max2 slip on ,UNI filter, open lid with the rear fenders and seat off... it worked just perfect for me,its a 1/8th mile length strip. But this year I'll have 20 inch tires(only useless ones I have) and I have a lot more motor mods than last year... Do you guys think a 16 tooth in the front and 38 rear will top out to fast? thanks very much-darren

BTW I got second last year, lost 1st by .2 mph

Smokin 440
12-01-2003, 06:43 PM
i would say try 16/36 and lay out an 1/8 mile and see where u top out before you put screws in the tires. Also get actual ice screws, they will hook up a lot better

Good luck....

speedy400
12-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
i would say try 16/36 and lay out an 1/8 mile and see where u top out before you put screws in the tires. Also get actual ice screws, they will hook up a lot better

Good luck....
thanks, I'll try that gearing out... BTW I did say I was going to put in ice studs(for snowmobiles) in the rear tires this year.thanks, any more opinions?-darren

BTW if anyone has any 36 rear sprocket or a 16 front they'd like to sell to me for cheaper than new, I'm intrested.

skemp
12-02-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm going with 16/36 gearing and 18" rears this year speedy. I didn't get beat last year and hopefully won't this year either if things go my way. I really don't know about using studs, but it is your deal. I am going to play a little bit more with gearing to find the best combination, but just do what was said and figure out what you can run and be topped out by the end of the track. I think I ran like a 69.8 last year as my best run. It's a lot of fun, good luck!