PDA

View Full Version : race cam

ThyJuGGaLo
11-30-2003, 07:38 PM
i heard that if you put a race cam in your quad you can hardly just let it idle or it could **** something up, is this true?

trailburner
11-30-2003, 07:44 PM
NO!!.............as long as you get a drop in cam like a "Hotcam" you should be good to go......

stupid driver
11-30-2003, 10:25 PM
if you mean just kinda putt around or sumtin, its not gonna want to go very well. The powerband will be up in the rpms, not down low. As far as screwin up your motor, it wont. Only if you get a cam that needs harder rockers or sumthin, then you may have problems.

cals400ex
12-01-2003, 08:35 AM
i don't have any experience with a cam needing rockers, but on break-in, you won't want to let your bike idle too long. just keep the rpm's up a bit. i doubt your will skrew anything up.

400exBro
12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
so cams that require hareden rockers and HD springs i can not let it put around at low rpm??? i am either going with the TC cam or Splash n dirt cam, the one requires harden rockers and HD spring kit...

ThyJuGGaLo
12-01-2003, 03:35 PM
what cam should i go with if i want to put around the yard, or if i want to take it to the track for the weekend

400Ex_Rida
12-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Hotcam stage 1, or XR cam

wilkin250r
12-01-2003, 05:12 PM
No, that's not it at all. There are two different aspects with a high performance cam, and you are confusing them into one...

During BREAK-IN, it's no a good idea to let it just sit and idle for an extended period of time. You need to get into the upper RPMs to properly break-in the cam.

Later on, AFTER the break-in period, you can go ahead and let it idle all you want. However, with a really aggressive race cam, you man not have as much power in the lower RPMS as you used to. It takes a while to explain, but the same characteristics that give a race cam MORE power in the upper RPMS, it makes LESS power in the lower RPMs. So, even though it won't actually hurt your motor, you may not be able to just putt around like you used to.

Don't just look at the "peak" performance of a cam, look at the entire spectrum. If you ride trails, and consistently use your low-end power to climb hills and putt around, you do not want an all out "race" cam because it's not suited to your type of riding.

norcalatver
12-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Talk to a reputable engine builder and explain what it is you want out of your atv. They will be able to lead you in the right direction. FDO built my 493 with a totally radical race cam and it will putt all day, race all night, and has gobs of low end torque. Mike at FDO knows his stuff and can lead you in the right direction.