PDA

View Full Version : Which is the Strongest AXLE???400ex???

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 07:32 PM
hey, i bent my stock axle on a 35 foot double. i over shot it by a little less then 20 feet and land way too much on the right rear wheel. I am looking at the heavy dutyb/c i dont race, just trail ride. so really i want to know why i should buy the eliminator over the heavy duty??? is it worth it. how much stronger are the both over stock, how much stronger is the eliminator over heavy duty??? do they way more or less then stock? They all break and bend, which one will last the longest and were is the cheapest place i can get them from? please post replies or email to raptorrascal660@yahoo.com or AOL IM me at capthowdyon400ex

bmw500hp
11-30-2003, 07:38 PM
lol, just make it easy on yourself and buy the best axle made...RPM Dominator :D

JOEX
11-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Most people here will say RPM is the best, I don't have any personal experience with ithem myself. Lonestar will come in a close second. Both have a full lifetime warranty against bending or breaking. Durablue has a pro-rated warranty.

If you're hitting jumps that big i'd suggest at least the Lonestar, they can be found for about $335. I don't know the current pricing for RPM.

Joe

trailburner
11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Lonestar or the RPM Dominator......Ther both ALOT better than stock!!!

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
rpm is too expensive and out of my riches! lonestar over durablue why???

JOEX
11-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 660r2a400ex
A much better warranty. That is why I chose Lonestar.

Joe

trailburner
11-30-2003, 07:57 PM
lonestar has a better waranity....When I bent my durablue they said if you don't have the receipt your "SOL".....:mad:

pnut420
11-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Doing 35 foot doubles you should be fine with either the durablue or Lonestar, if you are going to run it at +4 width on the axle, I would get a lonestar or RPM, cause a duablue at +4 isnt a whole lot stonger than a stock, if you land on the right rear with a +4 vs +2 it will put alot more pressure on the axle....

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 08:06 PM
yeah thats why i was thinking durablue heavy duty. its 2 1/2 times stronger then stock at stock lenght...is 2 1/2 times stronger that much more stronger, ? i found it for $235 here at c & d

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 08:09 PM
just curious question if you land any double right...it will never mess ur axle up will it? i mean even if its 200 feet!!! if you land it smooth on the landin pad it always feels smooth its bad landings thats messing my axle up right???

bmw500hp
11-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Warranties differ among the manufacturers of axles.

Currently the only (true) lifetime guarantee is offered by RPM. Other axles operate on a pro-rated basis. You may pay a bit more up front for the RPM axle, but in the end, IF you manage to bend it, you can be assured of a prompt and courteous replacement

...might consider a few overtime ours an investment in "peace of mind"

bend #2 on any other aftermarket axle might set ya back $225.00 bucks plus the shipping...:eek:

JOEX
11-30-2003, 08:17 PM
DURABLUE:

Warranty Policy Information
When you purchase a Durablue axle, you receive the added value of a warranty. The added value is for the future; beyond the moment you purchase the product. It entitles you to certain privileges and support. This warranty does not mean that you will never bend or break an axle. You will. It does not mean that you get unlimited free product forever. Below is a “nuts & bolts” look at the warranty.

What is covered?
The axle shaft only is covered for bending or breaking. Flanges, spline wear, hardware and/or surface finish are not covered. Heavy Duty Series axles are covered for six months. Eliminator Series axles are covered for as long as the original purchaser owns the axle.

What if the axle is bent?
If the axle shaft is bent less the .187" tir (total indicated run out), it will probably be straightened. This will not result in a weaker axle. If the shaft run out is more the .187 tir, it will probably be replaced.

How long is my warranty period?
Your warranty period is as long as the original purchaser owns the axle. If the axle is sold used, the warranty stays with the original purchaser. In other words, if you buy a used axle, it has no warranty.

What is the warranty on a replacement axle?
If you require a replacement axle under warranty, that replacement axle is warranted for as long you own the axle (you must be the original purchaser). If it should require replacement, you will be charged $175.00 plus freight. In summary, the first axle replacement is free. Any replacement thereafter costs $175.00. This special pricing is near cost and is a great value to the customer, as they will pay only "cost" for as many axles as they consume. This also allows Durablue to stay in business and support its warranty policies (Durablue is the only axle maker to still be in business after 20 years without any name/business changes which are commonly used to disallow warranty claims).

Who pays shipping?
The customer/owner is expected to pay all shipping costs. As a result, you can specify any UPS service you desire (air, ground, etc.).

How do I make a warranty claim?
If you are the original purchaser, clean the axle so that it is not dirty and/or greasy. Keep all nuts, bolts, rings, wheel hubs and/or other hardware. If you send the hardware and it is lost in shipping, you will be required to purchase new replacement hardware. Durablue is not liable for lost hardware. Include your name, address and phone number. If you wish to prepay return shipping and avoid a COD fee, include your credit card number and expiration date. Without prepayment information, we will ship COD, requiring a Money Order for payment. Straighten able axles are straightened and others are replaced. If Durablue is out of stock of the replacement axle, Durablue will ship as soon as the axles are available.

Can I upgrade if the axle needs replacement?
You may upgrade from the Heavy Duty Series to the Eliminator or X-33 or from the Eliminator to X-33. You will pay the difference in the suggested retail prices (plus the $175.00, if applicable).

May I take my warranty claim to my dealer or distributor?
You must deal directly with Durablue. The dealer or distributor is not authorized to give replacement parts nor make any warranty related decisions. Some dealers may help you by shipping the parts to us on your behalf.

How do Export customers (outside the USA) access the warranty benefit?
Due to shipping costs, bent axles are excluded from the warranty. You must have them straightened locally. To claim a warranty on a broken axle, you must return the center section of the shaft (about 12” of the shaft is sufficient). Include a copy of your original invoice with your name, address and phone number. You must also include a credit card number & expiration date for return shipping. Customers whose axle has been previously replaced under warranty will be charge $175.00 US plus the freight. Unless specific instructions are received, Durablue will ship the least costly method available at the time.

Dealers and Distributors
DO NOT give replacement axles without authorization from Durablue. Durablue will not be responsible for your actions with respect to the warranty. For instance, if you replace a straightenable axle, you will receive the straightened axle back. You now have a used axle rather than a new one.
DO NOT return product as “no fit” or “defective” when it has been used. You will not receive credit for used product (when in doubt, request an RA number). If a warranty applies, follow the instructions above.

Products | Warranty | Dealers | FAQ | Cool Links | Contact Us | Home
Dura Blue Inc.
20521 Crescent Bay Dr., Lake Forest, CA 92630
(949) 770-5533 • FAX: (949) 768-4273

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
LONESTAR:

LIFETIME WARRANTY
Thank you for purchasing an AXCALIBAR RACING AXLE (the first Professional Racing Axle). LONE STAR RACING would like to explain your AXCALIBAR AXLE warranty so that you know exactly what you have purchased and how you're protected. The AXCALIBAR RACING AXLE is guaranteed not to bend or break for as long as you own it. This means if you bend or break your AXCALIBAR RACING AXLE jumping or landing wrong, you are covered under this warranty. If damage to your bearing surface occurs due to bearing housing failure, your warranty is voided automatically.

AXCALIBAR RACING AXLES that are returned for warranty defects must be accompanied by a return authorization number. If your AXCALIBAR RACING AXLE has a lot of run out (bent) we will straighten it; if it is broken, we will replace it with a new one. You must return your AXCALIBAR AXLE along with your warranty claim form directly to LONE STAR RACING (freight prepaid). In most cases the same day that it arrives, your AXCALIBAR RACING AXLE will be processed and re-shipped (freight collect) back to you. There are some cases that may take more time, for example, if special inspection and procedures are required.

LONE STAR RACING shall not be liable for any loss or damage, direct, incidental or consequential, arising out of the use of, or inability to use this product caused by any defect in the product.

This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties, either expressed or implied.

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 08:37 PM
DuraBlue Heavy Duty Axles...how are they, anyone see anone run this axle, i am a trail rider, maybe do racing 2 times a year. we have a trail with a 35 foot table top from peak to peak, 7 feet high ramp 6 1/2 foot high landin pod...are other ramp is wierd, up hill with a 6 foot pile of dirt blendin in with the hill so its like a 20 foot ramp but your in the air going up hill and land going up hill...then we have many 3-5 foot single ramps that you flat land...i dont think we need and special high dollar axles after all my bike is all stock besides looks and nerfs. so let me know if you think the durablue heavy duty will hold up good, its got a 6 month warranty.

Out_Sider
11-30-2003, 08:45 PM
just get the durablue HD axle..if my stock axle were ever to break that is the axle i would buy. Theres nothing wrong with that durablue axle because its stock width and stronger. It should hold up to your type of riding.

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 08:53 PM
everywhere i look up the heavy duty axles they say for non-jumping riding type??? why, we jump with our stock axles and the heavy dutys are twice as strong so why not jump them???

JOEX
11-30-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure how I bent my stock axle but I think is was from landing nearly straight up and down off of a fairly small jump. I wasn't more than 4'-5' off the ground. Any axle will bend with the right(well wrong) circumstances:p

I think they say not for jumping because of their lame warranty.

Joe

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 09:48 PM
maybe, i hope...i mean bad warranties suck(i dont know anything bout it) but if its a bad warranty we cant do anything about that. the heavy duty just sounds the strongest to me... i mean i like freestyle riding, we got one big double in the woods and thats all we do(for now anyways). I hear you want the stock length for fresstyle jumping. is this true? plus the shorter an axle is the stronger it will be, is this true? will a good rear spring or suspension help save my rear axle or put more preasure on it?

JOEX
11-30-2003, 10:05 PM
First off let me tell you i'm no expert on this and I can't help you on the freestyle stuff at all....

I will give you my opinions though...... How one company describes it's own products is arbitrary.... Any comapny can manufacture a product at a certain (low) standard then beef it up a bit and call it heavy duty. It is a marketing stratagy IMO.

What proves a product is word of mouth not words in a magazine or catalog.

I belive basic physics will prove that a shorter axle wil be 'stronger' than a longer axle. I know there are many variables involved..... And an improved rear suspension and proper riding style will help;)

Joe

pnut420
11-30-2003, 10:26 PM
everywhere i look up the heavy duty axles they say for non-jumping riding type??? why, we jump with our stock axles and the heavy dutys are twice as strong so why not jump them???

The only reason it should ever say not for jumping is if it is a Flat track and will never see any jumping. If they did say no jumping then thats a lame axle...

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 10:36 PM
I ain't looking for a sweet *** unbreakable axle, i am have $250 i found a heavy duty on c & d for $235. it says this about the axle... Heavy Duty Axle
This axle is a recreational level axle that is twice the strength of the stock axle. It's a cost effective choice when reliability is a prime conern. A DuraBlue Heavy Duty Axle is recommended for non-jumping type riding. It is zinc finished and has a six month warranty against bending and/or breaking

1) now if its twice as strong why cant i jump it?
2) It's got that chrome look and will look trick on my bike!
3) my axles bent and looking for a cheap way the cure this problem.
4) the only reason my axle is bent is cuz i messed up one time, I dont plan on messing up anymore, it was my first time, i have hit the ramp over 200 times now and havent messed up since.
5)If i dont cure this problem quickly, can it mess up my sprockets and rear breaks, or anything else? It wobbles badly!
6) I don't understand why it says no jumping, my stock axle too beatings from 12 feet high flat landings and only messed up b/c i messed up , this axle should work fine right, or shoould i just by a stock one...what do you thinks better?

bmw500hp
11-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
First off let me tell you i'm no expert on this and I can't help you on the freestyle stuff at all....

I will give you my opinions though...... How one company describes it's own products is arbitrary.... Any comapny can manufacture a product at a certain (low) standard then beef it up a bit and call it heavy duty. It is a marketing stratagy IMO.

What proves a product is word of mouth not words in a magazine or catalog.

I belive basic physics will prove that a shorter axle wil be 'stronger' than a longer axle. I know there are many variables involved..... And an improved rear suspension and proper riding style will help;)

Joe

lol the nickname "durablow" didn't appear by accident.

660r2a400ex
11-30-2003, 10:44 PM
I knoew every one has there own opinions..is this true though. why would a durablue break and faster then a lonestar, i hear lone stars are worse then the next day i hear durablue sucks..i hope this aint true cuz my friend just spent $400 on a durablue and he never ramped before and we he gets it on he says he's gonna ramp...i hope his bike down break when he ramps b/c he'll never ramp again. but guys dont forget I am only paying $235 for this axle, it has a 6 month warranty...if it dont bend or break within 6 months it aint gonna. i dont race i do the same **** every day...hit our double and do freestyle.

JOEX
11-30-2003, 11:01 PM
It seems to me that you want someone to justify you decision to buy a Durablue axle. I am not trying to push any one product on you, must giving my opinion. I'm sure Durablue produces a fine axle that is stronger than stock. Many people have had great success with their axles. Giving what you have posted, you jump a fairly large jump. That should be enough to upgrade to a better axle. It doesn't matter what a company says abpout it's own products. It is called MARKETING!

1) now if its twice as strong why cant i jump it?
Because the warranty says so.

2) It's got that chrome look and will look trick on my bike!
Does that reallly matter?

3) my axles bent and looking for a cheap way the cure this problem.
Buy a used stocker.

4) the only reason my axle is bent is cuz i messed up one time, I dont plan on messing up anymore, it was my first time, i have hit the ramp over 200 times now and havent messed up since.
Noone plans on missing a jump! :)

5)If i dont cure this problem quickly, can it mess up my sprockets and rear breaks, or anything else? It wobbles badly!
Yes, yes and the bearing and carrier too!

6) I don't understand why it says no jumping, my stock axle too beatings from 12 feet high flat landings and only messed up b/c i messed up , this axle should work fine right, or shoould i just by a stock one...what do you thinks better?
Any piece of metal will bend if hit right/wrong. It depends on what is more important, Lay out the $'s now for good axle or lay out the $'s for an ok axle and spend more $'s to replace it.

It is up to you;)

Joe

Juggalo
12-01-2003, 12:59 PM
look, dura-break axles suck. their weak (especially the heavy duty) and have crappy warrenties. you clain to have bent your stocker on a small jump which i find hard to believe cuz i have overshot a 65+ foot double by almost 15 feet and comin down from 25 feet in the air it didn't bend my stocker. will a durablue hold up for you? probably. if your not jumpin big. why does it say no jumping? to cover their asses. if you break it jumping they won't give you a new one. if you read the EX manual it says no wheelies or jumping in that too but its just somethin to cover them. nobodys gonna tell you durablues are a good axle cuz they aren't. RPM is the best followed by LSR. you asked what the strongest axle was- its RPM. if you want the strongest buy that (actually buy the dominator 2 thats the strongest) but if your gonna go with the durablue just get it. it might hold up it might not. i just know i wouldn't trust one on my quad

660r2a400ex
12-01-2003, 01:08 PM
i think i am getting the heavy duty durablue, but may get a cheap lone star if i can find it no more than $300

big bad beny
12-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Get a RPM it the best AXLE on the markit my brother has one and it is 8 years old and it has never been bent so i would go with that one if i were you. Dont get a lonestare it is weeker that stock.

Toadz400
12-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by big bad beny
Dont get a lonestare it is weeker that stock.

some people need to be sent to concentration camps...

and learn how to spell too...

86atc250r
12-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Axles.... Everyone's heard something or has an opinion...

Theres nothing wrong with that durablue axle because its stock width and stronger.

First off, do not assume that an aftermarket axle is stronger than stock. The stock 400EX axle is very, very strong - it's strength is in it's ability to flex.

2nd.... What's wrong with Durablue axles? Well --- many things can be wrong & it would take a metallurgist to to analyze the properties of the metals used to tell the differences between brands - but one thing I can tell you is Durablue Honda Axles commonly break on the sprocket side. Why is that? Because of the sprocket hub retainer clip they use. It is very, very large, which requires a large groove to be machined into the axle. This creates a very weak spot that is prone to breakage.

RPM and stock use a very small retainer clip that doesn't weaken the axle nearly as significantly. I can't remember the design of the lonestar axle, so I can't say much about it.

From what I've seen, it doesn't take much to break a Durablue axle - I've seen plenty break on landings that were not that stressful. I have never seen a stock axle break - only bend & still yet, it takes a really bad landing to bend a stock 400EX axle significantly.

One other thing - don't be fooled by the Durablue excuses on their website about why their axles fail so frequently on Hondas - totally bogus. If this were true, the other brands (and stock) would have breakage trouble & that is simply not the case.

660r2a400ex
12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
so you are tellin me the best axle out there is stock??? well at least its better then durablue

86atc250r
12-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Depends on your application - the stock axle is very good. It can even take wheel spacers in a pinch as long as you don't do any real nasty landings.

If you want an extended axle - I'd stay away from Durablue for the reasons mentioned. Personally, I use RPM and stock axles on my quads...

PhilMoore
12-01-2003, 09:21 PM
I was doing a 40 foot double at a local race. I made it many times no problem on my 400EX stock axle. I got a Durablue X-33 for the extra width. I broke it on the 3rd race after I installed it on that same double. (About 45 minutes of actual use) I called Durablue for a replacement. "Gary" told me the 400EX is a "rigid" quad and the hollow axle was also rigid and caused it to break:huh. He then told me they would not have a replacement unit for three to five weeks. I told him I was not sure I wanted another X-33 anyway because when the last one broke the person behind me could have gotten hurt from the flying wheel with a broken axle shaft sticking out of it. He offered to send me an Eliminator, which I took. But I did not get any refund, so basically I paid $450 for a Eliminator. The Eliminator has not bent or broken or given me any trouble since.

However, I bought a Lonestar for my Banshee as I will never buy a Durablue again.

pnut420
12-01-2003, 09:24 PM
I got a stock axle I can sell and a stock carrier that you could put new bearings in. I got the durablue axle cause I needed a +4. It wont ever break though cause Im going to have my rear shock upgraded by Derisi. :huh . Im not doing anything big right now so the durablue will be ok for a couple years.

660r2a400ex
12-02-2003, 06:32 PM
i think i am going with the heavy duty durablue and later get a nice rear shock to help it out!

pnut420
12-02-2003, 06:50 PM
i think i am going with the heavy duty durablue and later get a nice rear shock to help it out!

If you get a durablue axle, its good to get a different carrier or at least replace your bearings while your at it.

03400EX_Nacs
01-17-2004, 11:38 AM
i havent had any experience with either but i am fixing to get a lonestar axle :D and i heard durablue were like durabreakable and i would choose lonestar over anything personally

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-17-2004, 11:42 AM
you can't go wrong with lsr or rpm. i have ran both....each of them treated me good with no problems, so i can go either way. i chose a lsr for my yfz simply because i know it will work good on my quad, and it was cheaper. rpm's prices are getting a little high for my tastes. i wouldn't trust any other brand besides those two though.

k2-dawg
01-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
lol, just make it easy on yourself and buy the best axle made...RPM Dominator :D

What he said. RPM IS THE BEST!!!

shamisc
03-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
A much better warranty. That is why I chose Lonestar.

Joe

JOEX, Do you have the anti-fade hub with yours? I just ordered a new LSR axle and anti-fade hub and was just wondering if the hub was any good?:confused: