PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle?

m250r
11-30-2003, 04:09 PM
I was thinking about buying a twist throttle for my 300ex. The thumb throttle always makes my thumb really sore and stiff. I am going to be racing next year and I was wondering if I should get the twist throttle or if I should just stick with the stock thumb throttle. Give me your opinions.

11-30-2003, 04:16 PM
personally id rather have a thumb throttle. To me it makes me feel like i have more control. But dont base ur opnion off of a dirtbike or a motorcycle because it isnt the same on a quad if ur curious buy one and try it out.

sparky450AR
11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
i think they suck on fourwheelers, but some people love them

Tommy 17
11-30-2003, 07:49 PM
i find them dangerous on a quad... bc u have a whole other axis with the extra 2 wheels that it throws ur arms aorund alot more... i found myself always pinning it wide open in the ruff stuff when i didn't want 2... i got off that quad fast and will never ride with one agian...

Narly R
11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by m250r
makes my thumb really sore and stiff.

You need to ride more.;) I have this same problem if I dont ride everyweekend. DONT get a twist trottle.:ermm:

Toadz400
11-30-2003, 08:16 PM
DO NOT get a twist throttle! if you want a twist throttle, go and buy a dirtbike and never ride quads again!:mad: haha, jk

i personally don't even like twist throttles on dirt bikes, i just don't feel safe when each time you hit a bump or turn you rev it up. i rode a 229ex with a twist throttle (yes they are 229's), and i crashed it because when i was going up the hill i started leaning back and the throttle stuck wide open, swerved to miss a tree, ended up hitting the axle on it causing me to roll down a hill and bend the axle.

if you are formally a dirtbike rider...then i guess your natural choice is to go with a twist throttle. i just believe thumb throttles belong on quads, that's why they come stock, and twist throttles belong on bikes.

Aceman
11-30-2003, 08:21 PM
I have a motion pro twist throttle and haven't had a problem with it yet. No problems with accidentally overrevving the quad at all. I hated having a sore thumb after riding for half a day.

flyin#5
11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400

i personally don't even like twist throttles on dirt bikes, i just don't feel safe when each time you hit a bump or turn you rev it up. i rode a 229ex with a twist throttle (yes they are 229's), and i crashed it because when i was going up the hill i started leaning back and the throttle stuck wide open, swerved to miss a tree, ended up hitting the axle on it causing me to roll down a hill and bend the axle.

lmao, that was great "he missed the tree!, oh crap! *back end hits, rolls down hill, just lays there*"

quad_racer_19
11-30-2003, 09:31 PM
i have a pro grip twist throttle put on my quad. at first i had a bit of troubles with over reving it when hitting bumps but then in about a week i had no problems at all... i just have some spills in the whoops

stupid driver
11-30-2003, 10:40 PM
i like the thumb throttle on the quad way better than the twist. the best thing you can do is ride more, or get one of those hand strengtheners for your thumb. I have one for wrestling, and it really helps out w/ the thumb fatigue

Iamgone
11-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Have had about ten years experience with both......each has strong and weak points......my advice stick with thumb throttle and try a thumb saver first......:cool:

hondaman440
11-30-2003, 10:56 PM
my father is big into twist throttles so every bike i had or have has had one on it. I actually feel safer with a twist throttle, but I was born with one in my hand!:D I'm sure each one has its pluses and minuses, so make the decision for your self, but be safe!

Mofo Racing
12-01-2003, 08:44 AM
If you do get a twist throttle, please take your time and get used to it. I got on my friends bike and he had a twist throttle. After six cartwheels and a very mad friend, I learned that it wasn't for me. Boy he was mad too. He just put his new fullbore plastic on and sat there, watching me roll his bike. :devil:

wilkin250r
12-01-2003, 09:28 AM
It really comes down to personal preference, I really don't think they are "dangerous" It's far more dangerous to ride something you are not comfortable with.

I had a twist on my quad when I first bought it, and I couldn't stand it. I switched it after a week.

My buddy, however, cannot stand thumb throttles, he feels they are unsafe because you can't hold on with your full grip.

So, the question becomes, do you prefer six or a half dozen?

Derno24
12-01-2003, 09:34 AM
I have one quad with a thumb throttle and one with a twist. They do have plusses and minuses for each. I ride all the time, but I have small hands so during a harescramble my thumb will sometimes cramp. I have gotten used to it.

The twist feels great to me on the corners I just like being able to keep both hands fully on the bars. I also like in muddy conditions not getting alot of mud on the grips.

Oh well it is really about preference.

gimp419
12-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Unless you've rode a twist A LOT then putting one on for MX is crazy. The problem with a quad is that it will not hold you on like a bike. A dirtbike is designed to hold the rider in the riding position, hence the seat curves up in the back. When I get a little tired on the track I hold on with the tips of my fingers, if I had a twist (and I've tried it) I'd be giving it the gas when I don't want to. If you plan on trail riding then maybe a twist would be the best way to go, but for MX unless you are in awesome shape stick with the thumb!

ThyJuGGaLo
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Personally i like the twist throttle better

"We have been spending many hours ATV riding and have had the chance to ride quads equipped with a thumb throttle and quads equipped with a twist throttle. For short rides, the thumb throttle is acceptable. For long rides, I definately believe the twist throttle is superior. The twist throttle may not be a good option for beginning riders, but if you spend some hours on your quad you will become accustomed to the twist very quickly"
--off-road.com

sickyellow400ex
12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
i think twists are bad on quads cuz i was riding my friends banshee with a twist and i almost killed my self cuz it stuck and when it hit power band i kept twisting it more and more, it was scary

ThyJuGGaLo
12-01-2003, 06:49 PM
yeah but it stuck, a thumb throttle could stick

sickyellow400ex
12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
true but i still dont like them, but that me

Tom Lynn
12-03-2003, 09:15 PM
I have a twist and personally i love it I feel like i have excellant control with it and i would have it no other way!!!

motoboy66
12-03-2003, 10:58 PM
I think a lot has to do with past riding habits. I rode dirt bikes for about 10 years before I got my EX. It only took about 2 months before I put the twist on. I find that I have better control, maybe because thats what I learned on, but thats my opinion. I know my buddy hates riding my EX. The one best thing about the twist os that you never have to worry about anyone wanting to ride your EX much.

Todd

400exOCCRA
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I think if you're riding MX, freestyling, or just goofing off, twist throttles are a bad idea. They are NOT altittude friendly. With a thumb throttle you have much more control. I race XC and find the twist type to be really good for this format. In XC racing I've found that anything that makes you tire out less is a good thing, and I was never able to get my thumb into shape.

When you start off with a twist throttle, you'll need to learn to steady your hand on it, and always be conscious of what position it is in, holding it in the "off" position when you are slowing, turning, jumping. If you grip too hard or too sloppy, every little bump you hit will cause the thing to twist slightly and you'll be revving the motor when you don't mean to. Its something that you have to manage at all times on the bike, but after time it becomes second nature.

I made the mistake of making my first experience with one a 1.5 hr XC race. I got my front in the air too much on a jump, it shifted my weight to the rear of the bike and by instinct I put the death grip on the handle bars and it just rapped the throttle out, so when I landed the bike shot one way, while I went another. But, it doesn't take a whole lot of time to really get the hang of it. Just start off slow, and get the hang of holding it in the position you want it in at all times, and within a couple of weeks you'll like it.

12-04-2003, 05:01 PM
i could ride all day long and my thumb would never get tired,.. but then again i have pretty big hands...

i have rode a dirt bike with a twist and every time i hit a big bump i would pin it by accident so i guess that could be pretty bad in some cases.

if i was riding flat track, TT, or something like that i would run a twist, but anything else i would go thumb

Kilabanshee
12-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Yeah i just got a twist throttle for my ex. It helps alot in racing xc cause you can stay on the throttle more without getting bad arm pump.

BIGRED400
12-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Just took off my Twist after more mods to handle it........Quads = No twist...........you might like it but I did"nt

kenny
12-07-2003, 04:38 PM
nobody likes my twist.i cant handle the thumb.a buddy and i switched quads one day me and the thumb did not get along i felt like i did not have as much thumb control.ive seen people wreck my dirt bikes in the years on twist.its like they are uncoordinated and cant let go of the throttle.with their wrist well below the bars needless to say the ambulance came to take care of my buddy.he dont like twist either.

f1502nv
12-08-2003, 01:12 AM
i didnt like mine......i took it off after 2 mins of riding at the track!!!

but its like they said......its all on past experiance.......i rode jet skis forever so im use to the thumb!!!!!!

Derno24
12-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Everyone keeps saying the same thing just different ways. IT IS ALL PREFERENCE. :D

JustRace
12-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Derno24
Everyone keeps saying the same thing just different ways. IT IS ALL PREFERENCE. :D

Thats exactly it. I have done some really aggressive trail riding and the twist didn't slow me down at all, and I was able to keep up with my 4 friends riding 125 dirtbikes. The only time I had a problem is when i decided to take the scenic rout on the trail do to a stump.

Tom Lynn
12-16-2003, 12:18 PM
You buy what you want and if ya dont then dont

Nausty
12-16-2003, 10:33 PM
don't do it, trust me. Do a search if you want more info because there is a lot of threads over this.

They are very dangerous and very awkward imo. I got the scars,stitches and skin grapht to prove it.;)

Derno24
12-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Again it is all your own opinion. I have both on 2 different quads and niether bothers me. Took a little getting used to but better in the end

hondaexryda
12-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Ya thats true twist throttle is more dangerous, cuz i got cr125 and when im hitting whoops fast sum times u loose control and bring your wrist back and fall back, then u go fast and you can CRASH, i almost couple times lol