PDA

View Full Version : R clutch covers

airheadedduner
11-30-2003, 04:03 PM
Is there a difference in clutch covers between R years. I just bought a cover for my R and it is different then the 86 cover. I don't know what year the cover came off of but it looks like it needs a smaller spacer that goes on the kick starter shaft. I looked in my mauals and they don't show any difference. At the dealer we looked on the microfiche and it didn't show a difference between years. I am stumped?? Everything else is the same.:confused:

2004TRX450R
11-30-2003, 06:03 PM
All '85-'89 ATC/TRX250R engines use the same cover.

Narly R
11-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Do you mean it doesnt go on the kick starter shaft all the way?

rrider250
11-30-2003, 08:25 PM
the difference is that the 88-89 for shur have a seal for the kick starter. they are the better ones.

airheadedduner
11-30-2003, 11:39 PM
This cover is not the same. The indention where the spacer on the kickstarter shaft goes is not as shallow. You go to side it on and it hangs up on the spacer. It can't be a pre 85' cover cause thoose are aircooled. It hangs up on the spacer and needs at least 3/8s of an inch more to go on flush. Everything else is identical.

rrider I don't undertand what you are saying. The problem is on the inside of the cover. If I take the spacer out it goes on fine but then the kick starter gear can flop around at will. It is a stock cover. I just don't know to what.

2004TRX450R
12-01-2003, 01:40 AM
I didn't say pre '85. '85-'89 are all watercooled and the only difference in the clutch cover is the color. Is the spacer you are talking about the one that goes inside the spring and it has a slot cut in once side? If so make sure the slot is slid over the portion of the spring that goes inside the shaft. If it isn't it will stick out to far and not let the cover go on all the way. Plus it could let the part of the spring that goes into the shaft come out then your kick starter won't return properly.

airheadedduner
12-01-2003, 09:19 AM
It is the spacer that slides over the shaft after the gear that hangs up. The last part of that shaft assembly. I was just saying it is not pre-85, not directed at you. I wish I could post a pic on the cover but where there is room for that spacer on the cover the indention is not as deep. Everything else is identical. I don't think this is an R cover anymore, my be a CR cover?? Wish I could post a pic.

2004TRX450R
12-01-2003, 09:57 AM
The CR covers are completely different. If everything matches up it must be a 250R cover. Make sure the kick starter shaft is in all the way right. The little tab on the inner gear should go uner the plate on the center case and the groove in the spacer has to slide over the part of the spring that goes into the shaft. If they aren't then it won't go in far enough.

airheadedduner
12-01-2003, 11:05 AM
I can take my other cover and slide it on and it goes on fine. If you look at this other cover(again I wish I could post pics) the part where there is room for the shaft is not as shallow. I measured it, it is about 3/4 of an inch thicker. I don't know what this goes to but it otherwise is an R cover:confused: It has casting marks on it and everything. The only diff. is that one part on the inside of the cover.

2004TRX450R
12-01-2003, 11:29 AM
wierd! I'm not sure what is up with it. I'm pretty sure they are all the same. I'll try to remember tomorrow at work to look it up and see if it shows something different in the parts fiche.

airheadedduner
12-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Thats why I am so confused:confused: Eveything is identical except that one spot is thicker on the inside. My books shows no difference in years, I thought they where all the same. This is the last part I need and I can fire it up too:mad: :(

rrider250
12-01-2003, 08:09 PM
sorry guys im tarded

Narly R
12-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Ya that is weird, I dunno man, good luck.:ermm:

Witz
12-02-2003, 08:39 AM
The covers are not the same between all the years. If memory serves, the '85-'87 covers are different than the '88-'89 covers. The boss inside the cover is "thicker" on the '88-'89 covers and the kickstart gear has a longer shoulder built into it on those years. The '88-'89 does not require a spacer like the earlier models did. I believe it has a hardened washer between the gear and boss on the cover.

So to answer the original question, if you have an '88 cover to use on an '86 kicker gear, you can make it work by cutting a custom length spacer to fit between the gear and the boss. The other option is to get the '88 gear.

airheadedduner
12-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Witz
The covers are not the same between all the years. If memory serves, the '85-'87 covers are different than the '88-'89 covers. The boss inside the cover is "thicker" on the '88-'89 covers and the kickstart gear has a longer shoulder built into it on those years. The '88-'89 does not require a spacer like the earlier models did. I believe it has a hardened washer between the gear and boss on the cover.

So to answer the original question, if you have an '88 cover to use on an '86 kicker gear, you can make it work by cutting a custom length spacer to fit between the gear and the boss. The other option is to get the '88 gear.
:D :D Thank You!!:D :D

2004TRX450R
12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
I checked and it shows the spacers on the kick starter shaft are the same for all years but the kick starter shafts and the cover is different for the '88/'89 years. I don't know if it is because of color changes or physical changes though. Just that there are two different part numbers listed.

Witz
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
If you look closely at the microfiche, the spacer is not the same for all years. In fact, the big spacer is only used '86-'87 and there are 2 different part numbers for the kickstarter gear. The spacer is not needed on the '88-'89 because effectively part of the spacer is built into the clutch cover and the rest is part of the kicker gear on the '88-'89.

airheadedduner
12-03-2003, 09:19 AM
I looked at the microfiche and it showed the same for all years:confused: The one my dealer uses must be out of date. My dad is just gonna take the spacer with him to work and spin it down on the lathe. Should do the trick. I think I might have him spin it down a little farther and run the hardened washer too.