PDA

View Full Version : Need Board's Help-14T or 16T Sprocket?

kymo99
11-30-2003, 03:43 PM
I have a stock 400EX, except for a FMF slip on exhaust. Stock tires and rims. I am currently running a 15T front sprocket and the stock rear sprocket and am unhappy with my current set up.
When I am riding in the woods, it seems like first doesn't pull quite long enough. Second gear seems okay, but third is too much. I am constantly shifting between second and third. Would like to have a wider range in first or second or both.
Also, I have a couple of steep hill climbs that first wraps out too quick for without giving me enough speed to get up them. And I don't have enough of a start space to get to second and be on the pipe in the meat of the hill. The hills that I usually do are steep creek banks that aren't real tall. Usually about 20 feet high with a break back at the top.

Would the 14T basically do away with first for me and make third more usable? On the hill climbs, would second come up quicker and rev up sooner giving me the proper momentum to clear the break back?

Or, should I go to the 16T and extend the range of 1st so that I am using 1st and 2nd more instead of 2nd and 3rd? Will a 16T front give me the extra juice in 1st to pull my hills in 1st without shifting to 2nd?

What should I buy? Or should I just stay with what I have (15T)? Thanks in advance for your input.

11-30-2003, 04:14 PM
id keep with what you have...a 14 tooth front sprocket will make all the gears run for very short time & 16 will make it so that wheelies are near impossible & that fun stuff. 1st gear will also give you little power.

PHIL_B54
11-30-2003, 04:37 PM
i know you may not want to spend the money, but i would say to buy both. i thought that i would love the 14th from what everyone said.. and i thought that the 16th would be worthless for anything but gravel roads and it comes down to it i dont really like the 14th except for riding tight trails and stuff with my 4X4 friends, and i really like the 16th when i know i wont be doing any tight stuff..but the best of both worlds is stock gearing.
there is not one person on here that can tell you what you will like, and for around $35 you could have both

11-30-2003, 04:41 PM
get an aftermarket air filter if you dont have one. like a uni or k and n, also on the gearing i would buy both and see which you like best and change them out for diferent riding

bmw500hp
11-30-2003, 11:29 PM
phil b54 is exaclty right. Your parameters are to broad to nail down any one gearing combo as perfect. Objectively, only you can decide.

If your hitting short 20' hills without much run and you want to do them in second gear for max wheel speed with a short approach, then the 14/38 may be your answer.

It's doubtful a 16 would do this in 1st although the 16/38 is cool in open areas.

1 14/39 will pull in 3rd but you lose necessary time in the torque curve. This is a good combo for what your doing if you have 22" rear tires.

Translation: Buy both sprockets!

Mofo Racing
12-01-2003, 08:27 AM
I bought a 14-tooth sprocket for my bike. I had 22inch holeshot xct's on the rear and I loved the change. But, when I put my 18 inch turf tamers I hated it. I have a WB rev box and I can't stay off the rev limiter. Plus I feel like I'm topping out at 35mph. Anyway, I hate to cop out but I say get them both and see which one best suites your needs. My 2 cents.