PDA

View Full Version : Stock replacement steering stems

nuclearkielbasa
11-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Suppose a reputable aftermarket company was to produce a "stock" replacement steering stem that was made from 4130. You would be able to use all of your stock hardware (bar clamps, etc) or maybe even upgrade to something slightly better or even "pro-taper" style, billet clamps for an additional REASONABLE amount?

Then, suppose you could buy such an item for around $100 or around $180 with clamps?

What I'm talking about is a stem that would be almost identical to your stock stem, but it would be made from 4130 and the welds would be high quality instead of the mass-produced garbage that Honda shamefully put out.

I know there's an aweful lot of guys out there who are sick and tired of the only available replacement stems costing in the $300 range.

So........ who would be interested? Reply with your comments or PM me.

Thanks!

muff
11-29-2003, 10:15 PM
interesting....but advertising isn't free on here :(

as for expensive stems if someone is looking for a nice antivibe stem on the cheaper side they should check out burgard, just around $215 with the clamp, which isn't to bad if you ask me

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p45e6f1b86a3443524c781fac958dd2d1/fbbef4e4.jpg

nuclearkielbasa
11-30-2003, 08:25 AM
I'm not advertising now, am I? Just asking a marketing question about what the public wants. Maybe since you just bragged up your Burgard stem, and since they're your sponsor, the administrators should delete your post as "advertising?"

I find it interesting that since this forum has gone to their "no advertising" policy, there is a severe lack of input from most of the companies who would give out good advice.

Your loss!

Notu400ex
11-30-2003, 08:27 AM
yea, I bought two burgard antivibe stems. They are real nice quality. I got one for $175 using buy it now on e-bay and the other was $200 through burgards website. I used the factory upper bar clamps. They supply the lower if you stick with 7/8" bars (factory size).

Hey but $100 sounds even better. If you do antivibe then don't even sell anyone a stock size. Make it +1/2" at a minimum or the lower bolts will hit the tank plastic.

muff
11-30-2003, 01:44 PM
hmm, maybe you haven't be on here long enough to realize that Burgard sponsors the site... and no i'm not sponsored by him, I actually don't have any real sponsors, just some good connections :devil: (pappy)

if theres a decent product out there for a good price why not let people know about it? thats what this site is all about

maybe i read your original post wrong but from what it sounded like to me you were trying to drum up some customers for your steering stem business, if you are just trying to see if theres interest on here thats cool, if not then apropiate actions will take place :macho

also why not try to make an antivibe stem as well? I'm sure there would be a big market for people who are looking for an antivibe stem but not for the $400 lonestar price

nuclearkielbasa
11-30-2003, 02:16 PM
My only purpose in making this thread is to see how much interest there would be in such an item. We all know that the current options of steering stems out there are outrageously priced, with the exception of only a couple. (Burgards are actually priced a little more fairly, I think, depending on who you buy it from)

For myself, I think there are probably a lot of people out there who would just dig it if they could buy a higher quality stock replacement stem without having to spend $289 and up for a so-called "anti-vibe" stem.

That's all I want to know..... who would be interested. NO advertising of any sort, just a little marketing question.

trx400ex
11-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Stock ones are only 60$ they are actually not that bad of a stem. They will bend yes, but if the stem is super strong your frame will bend instead. Frames are alot of money but the worst part is tearing the whole thing apart and putting it back together on a different frame. Ive done both and pulling out the 60$ stock stem and putting another back in is the easiest way. That said, i bought a aftermarket chromoly 4130 antivibe for my 400ex last year. I bent it just by riding it, by that i mean my quad was never upside down... I guess I just think that for stems if your not a racer and are not interested in the anitvibe and plan on flipping down hills stock is a very good value. On my MX biles i will always run a antivibe chrommoly stem, i like the anitvibe idea, and theey usually dont see as much rubber up time as a trail bike might.

11-30-2003, 03:46 PM
yea umm desert toys makes a two peice stem so that if you do bend the top part its only 125 bucks to replace it instead of 250 of the whole stem

muff
12-01-2003, 05:31 AM
I also forgot about arens stems, his are $239...still not a bad deal either, granded its more than a stock stem, but the quality is there

trx400ex I dont see how you could have bent your stem without having a 500lb guy jump on one end of your handlebars :confused:

I've rolled my lonestar 5 times now, once has been end over end, and the others have been sideways with no probs yet, I didn't pay the rediculous price of $400 for it tho, and got it cause the shop i go to had it in stock

12-01-2003, 10:31 AM
mezsaro motorsports makes a replacement stock stem that excepts the bar mounts. It's exactly what nuclearkilbasa is talking about. cost isn't too much either I don't think..

pnut420
12-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah alot of free advertising going on here and it is hard to regulate it, although you are not technically advertising, you are giving out price figures and asking people to PM you if interested, sorta free advertising if you ask me...

And the stock steering stems are junk for a reason, for your average Rec rider you will not bend the stock one, and if you do bend the stock one it might be for the better, cause it could be your frame cracking or even a $70 set of handlebars, I would rather replace a stem than handlebars, grips, remove throttle housing, or even risk cracking the frame.

nuclearkielbasa
12-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Yeah alot of free advertising going on here and it is hard to regulate it, although you are not technically advertising, you are giving out price figures and asking people to PM you if interested, sorta free advertising if you ask me...

Here's a newsflash for ya, sherlock. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, not a frame builder, so who am I advertising for?

I'm doing a little asking around to see what people would like to see if I can't maybe plant a seed or two to get a quality product on the market at a reasonable price.

Thank you, but I'm sick of the BS on this site and I'm done giving a rat's *** now. Good bye.

hook
12-06-2003, 11:11 AM
DONT GO AWAY MAD JUST GO AWAY:(

LazeR
12-06-2003, 02:41 PM
What if you flip it end over end only once down a hill from it being on the wheels to being on the wheels again! I bent both my stock steering stem, and my stock handlebaars!

quadrider400
12-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
What if you flip it end over end only once down a hill from it being on the wheels to being on the wheels again! I bent both my stock steering stem, and my stock handlebaars!

You can bend the stock handle bars by looking at them :grr: I rolled my quad down a 75' hill stopped by a tree, hooked a rope on to a truck pulled it up.....
Stem was bent to chit.... had 8 guys leaning on it and got it straight.... that was 2 years ago I have yet to worry about replacing it.....

I do carry spare tie rods and steering knuckles:eek2:

Ex'r Marlin
12-10-2003, 11:23 AM
My 2 cents...

To those that feel the prices are "out of hand", IMO, the prices are not that "out of hand". I have an aftermarket stem that is in the $300 range, and I feel the craftmanship, quality, testing, and features are well worth the price, I would do it over again in a heart beat. (Maybe it is because I have the "anti vibe" that makes the stem worth it, or maybe because it gives me better geometry).

Maybe I am off the right track here, sorry, just had to vent a little.

Note: I really like the thought of the Desert Toyz steering stem... Cool concept. (I see they are out of Peoria, Arizona... Very interesting).:)

jlhughes750
12-10-2003, 11:57 AM
ECATV will take any stock stem and replace the tube with a cromoly tube, for half what a new stem costs!!!!! U can even retain the stock bar clamp. R,400ex,300ex,250X etc.etc.etc.

Bend your honda stem, send it to them as a core and they'll send u a rebuilt stem!!!!!that won't bend as easy next time!

later, J

honda400extreme
12-21-2003, 12:57 PM
I bent my steering stem just 2 days ago i ordered a stock one the same night it bent from www.servicehonda.com $53.00 shipped and everything. I thought it wasn't a bad deal.

12-21-2003, 03:54 PM
honda400extreme,

when you get those lte duals let me know how they sound. :)

12-21-2003, 05:05 PM
my stem has been bent for awhile now...i need a either new stock one or an aftermarket one...just dont wanna spend nething over $150

muff
12-21-2003, 05:58 PM
the cheapest aftermarket ones will be a $215 burgard or $239 arens...both prices include the clamp