PDA

View Full Version : BIKE runs FULL THROTTLE...AHHH!!!

400exbiggun
11-29-2003, 08:32 PM
ok, this is in my tecate...i just got the topend in, and my friend came over and wanted to hear it run. I didnt have the filter on, the fenders and seat were off to, and i forgot to hook up the kill switch too...(oh man) so i sprayed a little starter fluid, and she just started FULL throttle and would not stop, i gave it gas and it did nothing, so the only thing i could do was pull the plug cap...oh man that was a SHOCK:eek:

so any1 know what it was? on my old kx it used to do that when the choke was on, but thats not it

and do you think it did anything to my motor...i mean it was running FULL throttle in neutral for its first time alive:(

Guy400
11-29-2003, 08:46 PM
All your intake boots tight? Are your cylinder gaskets leak-free? Could also be crank seals. Take some carb cleaner and start the quad up again. Start spraying around the intake boots where it bolts to the cylinder and see if the revving drops. If it doesn't start spraying around your base gasket. If you spray around a gasket or intake boot and the idle temporarily drops than that's where the leak is. It sounds like you're sucking air somehow.

400exbiggun
11-29-2003, 08:51 PM
then thats it...i guess i was in a rush and forgot to put on the clamp that holds the carb to the intake boot

it can be as simple as that?

and do you think that anything happend to the motor at all...seing how it was so new?

4TraxRider
11-30-2003, 07:17 AM
That is definately it, the air was leaking in and making the miture very lean causing the engine to rev. If it didn't die on it's own it should start back up and be fine.

Atreyu
11-30-2003, 08:23 AM
It could be detonation. Do a search on it, I don't fully remember what causes it but it happened when I had my blaster.

NTPRacing#19
11-30-2003, 11:25 AM
nah you would def have known if it was denotation lol. its not detonating that would cause that, guy400 already nailed it on the head.

Jay300ex
11-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Sounds like an air leak, probably the intake boot. Detonation isn't very likely because when he pulled the plug cap off it would still be running.

Jay

hondafox440
11-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Jay300ex
Sounds like an air leak, probably the intake boot. Detonation isn't very likely because when he pulled the plug cap off it would still be running.

Jay

I don't think so. Detonation is pre ignition, meaning the fuel is ignited too early because of too little octane. It requires spark. I think you mean dieseling, which is when the engine compresses and combusts the fuel with no spark, like in a diesel engine.

BlkSnShn
11-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Did you have your carb apart? if so make sure you didn't put the slide in backwards.

400exbiggun
11-30-2003, 04:05 PM
thanks guys, i got it together and started her up, she took off then calmed down, but it was smoking like a mofo, i have no clue, and arent tecate's suposed to SCREAM...this was like a blaster...lol...but i only got it in 2nd gear cause i didnt wanna do nothing

and im also awaiting new pilot and main jets

and is it possible to install the slide backward? cause it ran like ****, then my friend pulled the carb off and it looked like there was gas in the air box boot:confused:

400exbiggun
11-30-2003, 04:07 PM
sorry forgot something...and is it natural in 2strokes that when they run out of gas...they rev like crazy

cause in my old kx80 when it ran outof gas it took off and i hit a tree once, and the same thing happened with the tecate (but i just pulled the clutch and hit the kill switch)

i know like my blaster just died when the gas ran out, do did my ex and my other bikes:rolleyes:

NTPRacing#19
11-30-2003, 05:36 PM
yes when they start to run out of fuel they actually run lean and start acting like rocket ships. but another thing you want to be careful of is if you jet it for a summers day then you run it at say 45 degrees out and it almost rips your arms off, STOP and rejet cause it will run awesome then seize up on yah cause it was to lean. cold air is denser so you gotta richen up the ol gal

Jay300ex
11-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I don't think so. Detonation is pre ignition, meaning the fuel is ignited too early because of too little octane. It requires spark. I think you mean dieseling, which is when the engine compresses and combusts the fuel with no spark, like in a diesel engine.

Yes you are correct, I was sorta thinking off the edge (dont know why) and considering that the engine would preignite because of a hot piece of carbon or gasket material that might have been there, that is when it will run with no plug cap ( experienced that one before).

Say for instance the compression was raised so much that the engine required 110 octane to be ran in it, and he had 87 octane, that might cause detonation. But running at full throttle, IDK? If it detonated, I think the most you might hear would be the horrible ping from the flame fronts colliding. But it still sounds like an air leak.

400exbiggun
11-30-2003, 08:47 PM
yup i think i fixed that, i jsut put a clamp on the carb boot...hahaha...and that fixed it.

now it smokes so im going to run 93 octane and a 40:1 ratio insteas of 32:1, and i havent really 'got on' it yet because i dont wanna ruin it with too small of main jets and pilot jets.

wilkin250r
12-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
and do you think it did anything to my motor...i mean it was running FULL throttle in neutral for its first time alive:(

That'll seat your rings!

Actually, there are a few people out there that actually recomend that you rev the crap out of it the first time, although they always suggest you warm it up first!

If it didn't seize, then you didn't do any damage.

airheadedduner
12-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Pre ingnition is the fuel charge fireing because of hot spots in the cylinder/piston/head due to excessive heat cause by to much compression, lean fuel charge, or to much timing advance. There is no spark involved. A buildup of carbon on the piston or a gouge in the piston or head can also cause a hot spot.

Diesels run on preignition basiclly. It is controlled though. Now better then before with the refinement of direct injection.

Jay300ex
12-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That'll seat your rings!

Actually, there are a few people out there that actually recomend that you rev the crap out of it the first time, although they always suggest you warm it up first!

If it didn't seize, then you didn't do any damage.

Yea that's MotoTune's method. The engine has to be FULLY, and I mean FULLY warmed up, you go for a ride, variate the throttle openings and just work your way to full throttle. You have to let the engine slow the bike down, not pull in the clutch and stop, this allows pressures to suck cylinder and piston particals into the oil. Its a really interesting break in method that is suppose to give you more power in the long run.