PDA

View Full Version : Temperature dropped, bike running bad- TRX250R

Live2Ride300
11-29-2003, 03:06 PM
I had my quad running great yesterday, it was around 50-65 degrees, I had a 165 main, needle clip on second notch from bottom, air screw two turns out and it ran great all day, well today its snowing out its about 25-30 id say. It was running like hell so I jetted up, I didnt have a 168, so I tried a 170, which is probably too rich, but I thought Id try it, I put the needle clip on the 3rd notch from bottom and set the air screw at 2 turns out, its still running like hell and backfiring, what do you guys think I should do? Thanx!

cals400ex
11-29-2003, 04:40 PM
going from 2nd notch from the bottom to 3rd notch from bottom is actually lowering your needle, thus making your jetting leaner. if it was running good on the 2nd from the bottom, i would put it back there. does it seem to be running like crap at idle, 1/2 throttle, or full throttle?? is it backfiring when your not on the gas but decelerating?? by the way, which bike are you talking about?

Live2Ride300
11-29-2003, 04:56 PM
I put TRX250R in the title, lol. It runs fine at idle. It is backfiring upon deceleration, half-full throttle it runs like crap.

cals400ex
11-29-2003, 05:09 PM
sorry about that, i obviously didn't read the whole title. i would move the needle back to the 4th position and possibly richen up the fuel skrew. however, if it is running bad at full throttle, your mainjet is probally wrong. try to do a plug chop and see what the plug looks like. also, make sure you don't have an air leak on either side of the carb or on the exhaust somewhere.

hondafox440
11-30-2003, 10:16 AM
I don't believe the 250R has a fuel screw. Those are on thumpers only.

But yea, moving the clip up is actually leaning it out. Drop it back to where you had it and test it. Did you richen the pilot at all? You also mentioned that you did not adjust the air screw. That should be the first thing you do when you rejet. Hell, I adjust the air screw every time I ride my 125. The air screw really determines how well the bike will respond to the throttle. If your air screw is more than 2.5 turns out for the bike to be running at optimum, you need a smaller pilot. If it is less than 1.5 turns out, you need a larger pilot. If the bike bogs (rich), turn it out, and if it surges (lean), turn it in.

Live2Ride300
11-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Turns out the positive wire on my coil got shorted out, I fixed that and she fired right up! Thanx for the help guys!