PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore questions????

steveatv3
11-29-2003, 12:32 PM
I want to get a 416 kit for my 400ex, and i dont know if I should do it?

Will this really screw up my reliablility, wil i need stronger engin struts, and will i be blowing head gaskets?

How hard are they to put in, i just called a dealer and they said they want 450$ to put the SOB in im like no way because the kit cost less then that..

TELL ME YOU OPINONS....what kind of pipe should i get

UglyMotha™
11-29-2003, 12:40 PM
uh, what's an engin strut :huh

Juggalo
11-29-2003, 03:03 PM
while your in the motor you might as well swap out the old blinker fluid to some high grade dot 12. also the muffler bearings probably need to be changed or at least lubed. and to handle the extra stress from the 416cc's you might wanna swap your green powerband out for a red one.

steveatv3
11-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Hey Juggalo, how bout you talk in english

UglyMotha™
11-29-2003, 03:49 PM
so uh, where are the engin struts :huh

steveatv3
11-29-2003, 03:51 PM
the pin thimgs that hold the cylinder

Glow Plug
11-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
while your in the motor you might as well swap out the old blinker fluid to some high grade dot 12. also the muffler bearings probably need to be changed or at least lubed. and to handle the extra stress from the 416cc's you might wanna swap your green powerband out for a red one.

don't you think a rainbow colored one would work better?

Juggalo
11-29-2003, 04:25 PM
i'm not a fan of the rainbow ones because they are universal. the red ones are optimized for use by hondas only.

YZ400EX
11-29-2003, 04:37 PM
c'mon guys, why dont you just give him an honest answer instead of pulling his chain..Steve just put the kit in yourself..you will need to have you existing sleeve pressed out and the new one put in. The 440 kit is pretty much the biggest kit you can go with and still be reliable. The 416 would be a good choice, but do all the labor yourself and just have a machine shop press in and out your sleeves. The dissasembly and installation are easy and if you need a reference just get you a manual..you also may want to get a stronger head gasket and replace the timing chain while you are in there. If you can afford it replace the cam too..You will feel a huge difference..

cool 300ex
11-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Why a 416 thats not even that big i would go with a 440kit. You see them in dirt wheels for $239.95. Also its not a stroker kit so you wont lose much reliablility.

UglyMotha™
11-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 440EXGUY
c'mon guys, why dont you just give him an honest answer instead of pulling his chain..Steve just put the kit in yourself..you will need to have you existing sleeve pressed out and the new one put in. The 440 kit is pretty much the biggest kit you can go with and still be reliable. The 416 would be a good choice, but do all the labor yourself and just have a machine shop press in and out your sleeves. The dissasembly and installation are easy and if you need a reference just get you a manual..you also may want to get a stronger head gasket and replace the timing chain while you are in there. If you can afford it replace the cam too..You will feel a huge difference..

sorry, there's no sleeve swaping for the 416 and if i was you i wouldn't be recomending him to do the work

and steve those pin thingys your talking bout, i'm assuming those are the head studs that you are refering to depending on the compression you go with will determine whether or not you need to replace those with the 416

mikeboone
11-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Have a friend come over to help. Remove the rocker cover, head, and cylinder. Call C&D racing at sponsor logo above and order: Hotcam Stage 1 or 2 and JE 416 piston in 10.8:1 compression as well as top end gasket kit. All this is around $300 more or less. Have a competent machine shop bore your cylinder ( no re-sleeving required) Have a friend put it all back togther with help from Service manual. This will give you a very nice hit on power and still be able to run pump gas. No HD cylinder studs needed with this piston.

steveatv3
11-29-2003, 06:56 PM
thanks buddy