PDA

View Full Version : Got it apart, Now can I put it back together...

JhallettEX
02-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Well it all comes apart pretty easy, I hope I can put it back together now. I will be installing a JE 416 10.8:1 and a XR400 cam with viton valve seals. My cylinder will be done tomorrow and I will begin the work of getting it together. Is there anything I should remember or do when I start. Please, any help would be appreciated.

beerock
02-13-2002, 06:50 PM
lube the cylinder with oil before you put the top end on.

400MXer
02-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Wow, that's a sweet exhaust system, is that the DELUX system.........Folgers really know's how to make a quality exhaust can....lol.

sly400ex
02-14-2002, 08:51 AM
I'm in the exact situation myself right now. Do you really have to re-adjust the cam chain tensioner? Any tips on aligning the cam, as far as timing? Should the gasket kit "A" cover all gaskets required for the top end rebuild? You guys have to have some good advice!!!;)

Blackguywithouta400
02-14-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok lets see, Lets start with Gasket kit A will do what u want it will give you a new base gasket and a new head gasket, then turn around and order the xr400 head gasket to get that little more compression. The cam chain tensioner should be taken out. Just remove the two screws it will make it a lot easier to install the cam. Make sure you’re at TDC when u take it apart so you know where the cam lobes are i think they are Up i could be wrong. Then as far cam timing i would zip tie the cam gear to the chain, that way you wont lose you timing, then when you install the cam the timing will be correct at TDC the little lines on the outside of the cam gear should line up Parrallel to the Deck of the head make sure you use lock tight on those cam bolts. Make sure you get the spring and the little dowel back in the head under the cam. Once you get all that done and the valve cover is on and those little bolts are torque at 8 ft lbs and the big one in the center i think is 18 ft lbs then put the cam chain tensioner back in this if very important, if done wrong u can brake your cam chain. Take the Phillips head cover off the tensioner, take a small flat head screw driver and twist it so the spring inside is compressing this will make the tensioner shorter keep this tension on it when u reinstall the thing once the two bolts are secure in the motor let the screw driver go and the tensioner will tighten up the chain.
Then you can go ahead and do a valve job, this is needed since the valve cover has been removed and the torque on it affects the valves. Make sure you turn the motor over a few times because to get everything seated and back to TDC then you should be all set. Add conventional oil only after a bore job because this essentially is a new motor.
There are many things i left out but i hope you can pick them up i just though i would fill in the gap on a few little things
:devil

JabberJaw
02-14-2002, 11:02 AM
Could you just do mine for me? :-)

MOFO
02-14-2002, 12:11 PM
You DO want the lobes going up when you have top dead center. Depending on what stroke you are on, you will either be pushing gases out or sucking the mixture into the cylinder...either way one set of valves will need to be opened.

Just take your time and it will all go together well....the honda manual helps alot.

Eric

sly400ex
02-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks Blackguy, that is what I was looking foR:D

Houser Cannondale
02-14-2002, 07:24 PM
sorry bub but im pretty sure your cam lobes should be facing down when the motor is on tdc. because tdc is when the motor is at the top of its compression stroke both valves should be closed, this is right before it fires. and timing your cam... as long as you dont drop the chain down into the bottom end theres no prob timing it just before youput the head on make sure its at the top of the stroke and bolt the head on. then when you put your cam in just point the lobes down and put your sprocket and chain on and line up the mark.

thats how i work on em' and it always works.

JhallettEX
02-19-2002, 07:33 AM
Just thaught I would let you guys know that when I went to put it back together, Marcums had forgotten my gasket. I called and hey are overnightin it to me. Great customer service. Now gues what? They also forgot my Viton Valve seals, Man what were they thinkin, I will have to make another phone call today I guess..........Is there any other good info out there for me before I begin? Thanks guys

MIKE400EX
02-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Doesn't make a difference if the cam lobes face up or down when the T mark on the flywheel is lined up. The ignition pick-up is on the flywheel - so the coil fires every cycle. Every other spark is "lost". Just make sure the rocker is on the base circle of the cam when adjusting the corresponding valve lash.

JhallettEX
02-24-2002, 10:56 PM
Seems to be some confusion on teh cam lobes, does anyone want to back up any of these guys and also add any other info before the project begins Monday morning?

02-25-2002, 12:11 AM
it does not matter which way they are facing cause tdc happens every other stroke. but when putting together the motor face th lobes down so that there is no preasure on the valve cover when tightening it down. if they are facing up the valaves will wanna be opening and you could strip the valve cover bolts.

JhallettEX
02-25-2002, 06:42 AM
Thanks, can anyone tell me about the piston rings and how I have to put them in? I really appreciate it.

knighttime
02-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Make sure you put the rings on correct. I know that at least one is chamfered and has to go a certain way. I suggest calling JE and asking them. I had the guy who bored my engine put on the rings. I didnt want any part of installing the rings.:blah