PDA

View Full Version : Good XC set up?

EX 80
11-28-2003, 08:34 PM
OK right now i have a 400ex all done up for MX. I want to get it sort of set up for the woods. I have a walsh swing arm, which has no skid plate mounts. I am going to look into getting some mounts for a skid added. I have a full chassis skid.

My real question is in the width of the quad, right now i got +2 LSR's a side, with a LSR axle thats 49.5 wide now with MXR's. How wide is your average XC racer? I am not going to race, i am only looking to rip around the trails while i build my yfz.

I know for tires i want RAZAR 2's, they are nice :D .

Any XC guys have thier quad wide, with just bigger tires?

Sorry if it seem like such a dumb thread. I have only dealt with MX for years, never really got into XC. I rode in the woods when i started out with a stock blaster but that doesn't count. That was a long time ago.:)

Toadz400
11-28-2003, 09:55 PM
i am also interested in what people have to say, as i want to set my 400ex up for XC.

most people run +1 in the front or stock length

250rpilot
11-28-2003, 10:53 PM
i went for a sort of both mx and xc setup. i used +2 arms and a +2+4 axle. it is too wide for the pa woods where i ride. i am going back to a +1 setup and a stock width axle. i just keep taking my tires out on rocks and stuff, where i had no problems before. my suggestion would be to go with a +1 setup and at the very most, a +2 axle. i also used stock offset wheels, and i was at 49.5 inches front and rear. i dont race, and i very rarely hit an mx track, so i would rather be setup for the woods, than be too wide for them.

good luck!

EX 80
11-29-2003, 04:25 AM
Maybe for people that have +2 a arms, can go to an in set rim. 4-1 off set, like i use on my long travel yfz. Any XC guys do that? For axle its easy put spacers on outside.

komatsu kid
11-29-2003, 05:28 AM
me and my friend race xc he has a z400 which has +2, 3+2 rim off set it worked for him , next year he will have 4+1 off set rims, on my ex i have stock arms with 3+2 off set, just giving you some ideas good luck

Out_Sider
11-29-2003, 07:57 AM
If you still have stock equitment (sp?) i would just put stock a arms back on..and get the rear as small in width as possible... xc trails can range from a wide open field, to a trail that anything over +1 wont fit...i have a 300ex though, so i could afford to go with +2 arms, and a 4+1 wheel offset. becuz with that i'd be as wide as a 400ex w/ +1's... i think u may be fine the way you are, as long as the trail is fairly wide ;)