PDA

View Full Version : Can't get ball joint bolts out...wtf!

redroost85
11-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Ok I am taking my a arms off to do some painting and I have gotten everything off and ready to go except the two upper ball joint bolts. I have tried weasling the cotter pins out to no avail, I have wd40 the schnoz outta them. These sob's aren't coming out.

What else can I do? I don't think I can get anymore of the cotter pins out and they are at difficult angles to get at. Anybody got any tricks out there? I have taken many an a arm off, but these are some stubborn ******es! Any help is appreciated. heck I'm gonna go get me a cold one come to think of it, lol!:devil:

JOEX
11-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Try snipping off the loop end of the cotter pin and pull it out the other way.

Joe

redroost85
11-28-2003, 08:29 PM
I'll keep trying but it is at a weird angle. man this is turning out to be more of a pain in the *** than I expected, lol! Well, I am already into the brew, so I guess I call it quits tonight!

Any other ideas you expert EX'ers? I take any ideas at all!:o

Live2Ride300
11-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Take a pic so we can see exactly what you mean, or draw it out

11-29-2003, 09:16 AM
i use balljoint car remover thing its like a fork and the tips are real thin and they get thicker, u keep tapping it and it pulls the ball joint out of the spindle, always rips the boots

4wheelboy
11-29-2003, 05:03 PM
i think hes tlaking about the coterpin not the ball joint its self.

jus cut it and get new ones. also are the boots on the arms replacable?:confused:

wheeltrax
11-29-2003, 11:50 PM
i tried.. and tried.. ripped one boot.. and said the hell with it, and just took it off and masked what i didnt want painted.. it was alot easier.. i used a automotive ball joint seperator and it didnt help at all..

cals400ex
11-30-2003, 12:19 AM
in the FAQ there is an article about removing the ball joints.

cals400ex
11-30-2003, 12:21 AM
by the way, the rubber boots aren't replaceable. you should probally buy new a-arms if they rip. i think the a-arms were like $55 a piece from the dealership if i remember correctly.

11-30-2003, 12:31 AM
i dont even use cotter pins...they are annoying to take out & I just said the hell with them & dont use them anymore ;)

redroost85
11-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Yeah guys, I am not trying to take the ball joints out, just where the bolt from the ball joint comes down and there is a cotter pin going through the bolt.

I think I have now lodged the remaining parts of the cotter pins inside the bolt, but I can't still get it to doggone turn. Freaking a I am down to the last two ball joint bolts for the upper arms and they just don't wanna seem to come out. I got an idea to try and I am gonna give it a shot here in a bit. I'll let you know if it works!

I know for darn sure that I ain't putting no cotter pins back in after I paint the arms, lol!:macho

Thanks for all the responses guys!

JOEX
11-30-2003, 04:46 PM
I highly recommend using cotter pins. They are a safety feature. If the bolts (anywhere on the quad) were to come loose and fall off it could cause serious damage to rider and quad. If you choose not to use them I hope you have good medical insurance:o

Joe

11-30-2003, 05:18 PM
my medical insurance is pretty good. I only use the cotter pins on the hubs of the wheels :cool:

TRX300X
11-30-2003, 08:48 PM
If you use a small punch you can drive the cotter pins out of the ball joint ends. Also not using cotterpins on your crown nuts is a very stupid idea. The nuts can back off and your A-Arm can come off your spindle and you can bit it really hard or even die. Come on cotter pins cost like 4 cents a piece and only take a second to install. I hope your life is worth more then 20 cents in cotter pins.

redroost85
11-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Alright guys, I hear ya on using the cotter pins! Ok then is there a good size or even brand to get? These stock ones are a mofo! I think when I replace the pins I am not going to bend the pins as dam much as the factory guys did, lol!

thanks for the heads up Joe, I thought the pins were just put in there to piss us dudes off, lol! And my insurance leaves something to be desired.:blah:

TRX300X
11-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Any auto parts store will have them. Just take in the pieces of the old ones so you know what size to get. A dealership will probly end up costing you like $1 a piece.

JOEX
11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
Alright guys, I hear ya on using the cotter pins! Ok then is there a good size or even brand to get? These stock ones are a mofo! I think when I replace the pins I am not going to bend the pins as dam much as the factory guys did, lol!

thanks for the heads up Joe, I thought the pins were just put in there to piss us dudes off, lol! And my insurance leaves something to be desired.:blah:
I hear ya on the insurance;)

Cotter pins can be picked up at any hardware store. Just bring one with you and match it up. Buy several of different sizes and lengths and keep them in your toolbox. You'll be glad you did;) I have had a tie rod nut come loose, the cotter pin kept it from falling off:)

Joe

KandK952
12-01-2003, 02:25 PM
The only place cotter pins are necessary is in wheel hubs, because if those bolts come loose they might spin off fast because they move a lot. As long as you check your bike over after or before you go riding just a little bit to make sure the bolts aren't ready to fall off you will be fine. Also, I can usually notice if I have something loose (like a tie rod end bolt or something) when I am riding.