PDA

View Full Version : my brake pads bad allready!!

liljosht
11-28-2003, 03:44 PM
ok, i put some new brake pads in my atv (in the rear) and they are allready bad. iput them in about 2 weeks ago .Inoticed that the pads are rubbing against the rotor constantly , and it must be wearing the pads down. why is it doing this and how can i fix it??

cdalejef
11-28-2003, 04:03 PM
remove your parking break setup!

liljosht
11-28-2003, 04:13 PM
i do have my parking brake removed ,and i have a block off plate

cdalejef
11-28-2003, 04:17 PM
were they EBC pads?

liljosht
11-28-2003, 04:21 PM
no they are not ebc, they are parts unlimited turf stop pads , ceramic ones.Also the pads are wearing wierd. one side has no pad left and the other side still has pad left.

cdalejef
11-28-2003, 05:24 PM
sounds like your caliper slides are sticking! Pull them apart and put some anti-sieze on them

liljosht
11-28-2003, 05:47 PM
WYea i think that might be it. i Found out that i am missing a boot that hold one endof the caliper, and the caliper is rubbin on the disc and the disc is makin a hole in the caliper , so i wedged some pieces of plastic in there to hold the caliper up.Which it must not be letting the caliper move.

thanks..

absrio
11-28-2003, 09:35 PM
What are the calipar slides? I am having a problem on my front brake on my Z400. I can barely spin the wheel. I squeeze the brake lever and it actually moves the rotor. Are the slides the two pins that run through the pads and hold them in?

JOEX
11-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by absrio
What are the calipar slides? I am having a problem on my front brake on my Z400. I can barely spin the wheel. I squeeze the brake lever and it actually moves the rotor. Are the slides the two pins that run through the pads and hold them in?
Yes, the slides are the two pins that the pads run on. I don't think the rotors should move at all:huh

Joe

absrio
11-29-2003, 06:32 AM
I did get some info last night that if you run your brake pads down to low they heat up the calipar and ruin the seals. THis can cause the symptoms i have. But I am gonna try the anti-sieze before I order the seals.

12gofast
11-29-2003, 09:03 AM
replace the brake pins

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
I had a leaking problem with my parking brake. All the brake fluid was leaking out from around were the parking brake was bolted to the caliper

SO......i ordered a Nac's block-off hoping just to fix the problem because i never used my p-brake anyway

after puting everything back on and trying to bleed my brakes it is still leaking out from were the parking brake bolts to the caliper

I'm lost as to what to do i tightened the bolts as tight as they will go, but i'm still getting leakage

Do i need a new caliper?

cdalejef
12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
You have a bad o-ring behind the piston. The parking brake should not have any brake fluid behind it. You will need to disassemble the caliper and rebuild it.

Aceman
12-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Also, if your brakes go bad prematurely check to make sure your rotor isn't warped at all. As for the brakes slides, I just run them across a wire wheel every once in a while to keep them freed up.

toby400ex
12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Bad axle bearings can also make the brake pads wear strange, because the axle isnt straight in the carrier. Your brake pads could just be trashed because of riding in alot of mud too.