PDA

View Full Version : Need help Snapped bolt

dannyboy20
11-28-2003, 02:06 PM
i snaped the bolt that holds the oil filter cover on. Its the smaller of the 2. What do i do ??? And what size bolt is it.

11-28-2003, 02:33 PM
i think you are going to have to crack the engine open or take an ezout & drill it out...what did you do? tighten it when you were supposed to loosen it? :confused:

dannyboy20
11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
no i changed the oil filter and was tightening the bolts back up and snapped one of them.

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Would suggest taking out the other 2 bolts and getting the cover off.... you should then be able to get some vise grips on the remaining part of the bolt that snapped... if it is to low then you will need to go the ez out route.,.....
Suggest lock tight in the future and either a tourqe wrench or just snug and let the lock tight do its thing.,...;)

dannyboy20
11-28-2003, 02:49 PM
whats lock tight ?

11-28-2003, 03:08 PM
some goo that makes metal stick

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by quadrider400
Would suggest taking out the other 2 bolts and getting the cover off.... you should then be able to get some vise grips on the remaining part of the bolt that snapped... if it is to low then you will need to go the ez out route.,.....
Suggest lock tight in the future and either a tourqe wrench or just snug and let the lock tight do its thing.,...;)

Lock tight is a liquid that will hold bolts nuts in place so that you don't have to tighten the chit out of um and bust 'um....

Get the red I think the number on it is 242.... that one comes apart well with tools .... if it is something that you may never take off again use the blue.....

Any hardware store will have it....

Remember snug (or to tourqe specs) no all ya can twist with a wrench.....

Did you get it out?

If you have a bit sticking out you can file it flat on each side to give vise grips a better bite.....

Honda5
11-28-2003, 06:17 PM
you will never get a ez-out to work on that bolt what you need is a reverse thread drillbit i only know of one company that sells them it's snap-on the part # is DBCL105 all you need to do is center punch it then drill in reverse ,the bit will hook into the bolt and your done.

Sportrax10
11-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Same thing happened to me, but I was able to get it out with my fingers after I took off the oil cover.

4wheelboy
11-29-2003, 06:12 PM
if ya cant get it out with vice grips and there alil sticking out get a dremel an cut a slit in the bolt. den take a screw driver and back it out

dannyboy20
11-29-2003, 09:04 PM
all set i got it out with a bolt extractor.

4Hundy2001
12-01-2003, 07:55 PM
I broke the long bolt a while back. I decided to haul my quad into the shop to get it fixed because it was in there a long ways. I didn't want to slip off the steel bolt on accident and drill into the aluminum block. It cost me over $100 to get it fixed. A mistake I won't ever make again. If you can do it yourself go for it mine was just stuck too far into the block.

xc400ex
12-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Get the red I think the number on it is 242.... that one comes apart well with tools .... if it is something that you may never take off again use the blue.....

You got it backwards...red is the stuff that never comes back off...

kenny
12-07-2003, 11:35 PM
dont recomend 242 or 271 on aluminum. put all bolts in,torque to spec you may try a bit of antiseize on the threads.to get an even torque on the bolt.loctiting bolts is a sure way to pull the aluminum threads upon disassembly.they suck.ive built 3 xr -trx engines all have pulled threads on disassembly.

robert goyeau
12-10-2003, 06:20 PM
same thing happen to me i just use a ez out and left the oil filter cover on but i don't have a bolt on it but no oil is leaking and i have been ridding alot like that