PDA

View Full Version : 97 cr 125 help please!!

t-balls400ex
11-28-2003, 12:45 PM
just bought it has been sitting awhile at a lot anyway when I start it it leaks oil between pipe and head fairly bad actually drips a little when first started and have some coming out of exhaust lightly is it screwed up or what it is an fmf pipe took a ton of kicks to get it started too but I kind of figured that was cause I just brought home 100 miles in arctic weather hope I m not screwed whats wrong?

hondafox440
11-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Sounds like rich jetting and bad O-Rings. Replace the O-Rings in the pipe.

t-balls400ex
11-28-2003, 06:08 PM
should I order stock oring or do I have to order from fmf?Do you know what jetting should be?what needle clip main size etc only has pipe and silencer thanks

Kawboyz beware
11-29-2003, 02:56 PM
MY friend had a 97,98,99,00 cr and he cleans out the power valve there is a small screw located by the w/p and power valve linkage cover. Lack of cleaning this out can cause damage he usually does it like everyother ride. also I would suggest getting a different exhaust flange like Atomic that is supposed to fix the leaky exhaust the OEM flange IMO stinks as for the rubber gasket on the power valve linkage cover it best to install a new one with the jug off then reassemble

hondafox440
11-30-2003, 10:05 AM
You dont have to clean the powervalves that often. I clean mine once a rebuild, but the 00-02 design was much cleaner than previous years.

As for jetting, it is trial and error. There aren't guidelines to go by as it all depends on the condition of the engine, altitude, octane, premix, humidity, etc. What you can do is set the needle to the middle position, and the airscrew 1.5 turns out from lightly seated (close the air screw, not wicked hard just until it gets tougher to turn, then turn it 1.5 turns out).

You will be find with any brand o-rings. I actually like the ones that come in Cometic gasket kits.

2004TRX450R
11-30-2003, 10:28 AM
It can be caused by serval things. Type of premix oil, premix ratio, and jetting. I would recomned running Honda's HP2 for premix and run it as 32:1. It burns cleaner than most others and won't clog up your powervalve. When I had my '98 CR250 that is what I ran in it and I never had to clean the power valve once. On your jetting it is prett much trial and error. You can dial in your pilot circuit by getting the bike up to operateing temp and turn the pilot screw in or out until the engine revs the highest. Ride it and if it lean hangs at all try screwing it in about a half turn at a time. If you have to have it all the way in or way out then you need a different pilot jet. I found that mine ran best wtih a 50:50 mix of 110 octane race gas and super unleaded pump gas.

hondafox440
11-30-2003, 02:39 PM
I used to run HP2 all the time. Now I swear by Mobil 1 MX2T. It is even cleaner burning than HP2 (literally leaves NO deposits). Plus it is about 4$ a pint as compared to 6.50$ a pint for HP2. Its available at almost all auto parts stores, in a little silver bottle.