PDA

View Full Version : White Brothers Race Cam

02-13-2002, 05:25 PM
My dealer says all i need is the cam and a rev box to get more power out of my motor. Right now I have a jet kit, k&N air filter and white brothers e-series pipe. Is there anything that you guys think I will need in addition to the cam in order for my quad to remain reliable. Or will this do it without new valves and such.

out4sand
02-13-2002, 05:27 PM
If you get the XR400R cam you should be good to go!

NJ300ex
02-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Don't get a rev box.

02-13-2002, 05:44 PM
So get the cam and I am good to go?

MIKE400EX
02-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Scrap the rev box and spend the money on a stock bore high compression piston around 10.5:1.

Matt Fisher
02-13-2002, 08:36 PM
I don't know if the WB cam requires new springs/guides/hardfaced rockers, but you will loose a fair amount of low-end power if you stick with the stock compression ratio. Certainly an improvement in top-end, but that cam will work much better with some real compression.

The GT Thunder cam is a drop-in cam and has the same lift/duration specs as the WB (still suggest more compression).

If you're not interesetd in changing the piston, I'd suggest the XR cam. It's mild specs lend it very well to lower compression ratios.

Unless there's something wrong with your valves, don't mess with them.

VegasEx'r
02-13-2002, 08:52 PM
Mike & Matt covered it all. Have you thought about a larger bore piston? I have the rev box on my quad & like it for dune riding, but it's useless for everything else.

Sandragggen
02-14-2002, 06:47 AM
A little porting wouldn't hurt either.

oynot400
02-14-2002, 08:05 AM
I have the WB race/track cam. I really like it. It does feel like the bottom is lacking, just a little. It don't take long to pull through it, then she really rips! :D I do believe that the spring kit is required for this cam. ;)

Jbelknap21
02-14-2002, 08:21 AM
i have a white brothers all around cam, a much higher compression piston (im not sure how much, but it has a large dome on the top of the piston) and all the other mods listed in my sig. and to tell you the truth, i havnt noticed any difference whatso ever. it runs much better because before i had my top end rebuilt my rockers where honestly gone, but i havnt notice all that dramatic of a power increase, from what people said i thought having a cam and higher compression ment hang on, but its the same as always.

02-14-2002, 08:44 AM
I just got back from purchasing a Xr400 cam and ignition box and a new set of chromoly valve springs which I was informed are very important to get. Thanks for all your help let ya know how she turns out.

Houser Cannondale
02-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Jbelknap21, your reason your not getting much increase is prob because the 300ex motor is choked for airflow in stock form already, letalone with a cam and piston. i bet a good port job and you would see a dramatic increase.

Jbelknap21
02-15-2002, 06:34 PM
i have already had it ported. im serious, like stock 300's keep up with me no problem, mine feels like it has a real lot of power, but it doesnt really transfer into speed, its hard to explain. it pulls wheelies untill about 4th gear no problem, but just speed isnt up to what i thought it would be with all the mods i have. ive been wondering if gettin a new header might make a difference, im not sure if the one i have is stock, or if it is with the silencer, its not like the stock pipe, its shorter, it doesnt go around the frame in the front, im not sure though...

400exJOE
02-16-2002, 09:07 AM
hey Jbelknap21, I believe your piston is a 12-1 compression piston. I think thats the only one wiseco makes.