PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problem

phireboi
11-28-2003, 12:30 PM
I have a problem with my 99 400ex and it won't start up and there is a weird clicking noise coming from the battery...The lights still come on and the battery came up with still charged would anyone know my problem. I've also tried to jump start it a few times and one time it started and rode it awhile but now when i try it won't.

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 03:49 PM
I would think if it is the original battery that it just needs to be replaced.... baring that I would make sure the terminals are really clean and all connections are tight.... the clicking is most likley the starter trying to turn over the motor..... lights may come on but does not mean battery has enought juice to fire the starter....
This would be even more true if you can pull start it and it runs fine. I would really lean to the battery as the problem.....:eek2:

phireboi
11-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Also has anyone had alot of trouble with starting after pipe and jetting? because mine has alot of trouble starting when cold.

Pappy
11-28-2003, 04:31 PM
time for a new battery and a pilot jet change

phireboi
12-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Well a new spark plug and a new battery fixed my problem and it starts alot better now too :)

quadryda
12-03-2003, 01:26 PM
same thing happens here! all u have to do its tighten the terminals:D

markk
12-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by quadryda
same thing happens here! all u have to do its tighten the terminals:D

not always, if your battery is junk its junk, but most common is that the termanals arnt tight or has anyone had there celeniod go out on there 400! that click was the celeniod trying to get that power to your started it just wasnt enuf! new battery here also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoOn3
12-18-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm glad somebody posted this question! I have the same thing happen to me several times. Once I was a couple miles out in the trails and took a break - only to discover my ex wouldn't start back up! only clicked. I pulled off the battery connection and cleaned off the terminals with my camel pack water. retightened and things where ok. problem was it kept happening several times during the day. New battery sounds like the best answer here. thanks.

Gillbilly
12-19-2003, 06:59 PM
I have a question regarding battery charging.Is there an easy way to do it without taking the bat. out completly or any ideas,would a strip of heavy wire on each term.work?2000 400ex.

Pappy
12-19-2003, 07:03 PM
easiest way is to use a charger designed for cycle or lawn and garden use. they have alligator clips and will attach fairly easily. the deltran "battery tender" has a set of wires that attach to the battery and are easily connected to the charger when needed.

what ever you dont leave exposed wires dangling around where they could short out.

Gillbilly
12-19-2003, 07:30 PM
yup I figured I could cap the ends and tape em.I just wasnt sure if it would burn anything up.Thanks for the help.Feels funny calling ya Pappy when Igot a few years on ya,its not so bad except it takes alot longer to recoup from wrekz. LATER