PDA

View Full Version : Do the 04s have bigger carbs?

04EXdude
11-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi guys, newby here. I just bought an 04 400EX and the website states the carb is 38mm but 35.5 for the 03s. I just assumed that info was correct but I hear rumors of this not being true. Can someone enlighten me on this matter?:confused:

batgeek
11-27-2003, 07:15 PM
you are correct sir. the '04s will have the 38mm carb.

and new graphics!!! :D

Glow Plug
11-27-2003, 07:32 PM
yeah thats true...

Has anyone riden one with the bigger carb on it does it make to much diffrence?

11-27-2003, 09:16 PM
the new graphics are so sweet! im going to get one :(

11-28-2003, 06:57 AM
The carbs are the same..

why would honda make 2 carbs and give them the same part number. does that mean if you order a carb you take a chance of getting a 35 or a 38 depending on what they grab. Negative. Every dealer i've called including service honda said it's the same carb as the 99 model..:blah:

If it has the same part number it's the same part it's always been.

This question has been asked 30 times and not one person has ever came up with proof besides what the honda page says.

Wingnut
11-28-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Every dealer i've called including service honda said it's the same carb as the 99 model..:blah:

If that's what they said, I wouldn't believe them. Honda has made changes to the carb in the past. The excessive gas that came out of the overflow on the '99s was fixed for '00, and in '01 the carb got a new vent system. I don't think that boring the carb out would be as much of a manufacturing change as changing the vents was.

muff
11-28-2003, 08:56 AM
i dont see why honda would call it a bigger carb then if it was the same...how about on the '04 that you got pull the airbox boot off and measure the inside..then i'll measure the inside of a '01 carb and we can see if theres a difference :macho

11-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Wingnut
If that's what they said, I wouldn't believe them. Honda has made changes to the carb in the past. The excessive gas that came out of the overflow on the '99s was fixed for '00, and in '01 the carb got a new vent system. I don't think that boring the carb out would be as much of a manufacturing change as changing the vents was.

I"m referring to the bore size not the small little updates. A bore size change is bigger thana different vent hose, etc,etc, Those don't help the performance just flaws in how it works.

Untill someone shows proof with pics or actual measurements between the 2 I"m callin it a Typo.

Would you be conserned if you called and ordered a FCR carb and they had both 39 and 41's on the shelf labeled as the same thing. You order a 41 and they send a 39,,same part number so why should it that matter....:confused: ;) Follow me now.? I deal with inventory and have for years,, I don't see honda stocking 2 different parts with the same number. If they did they are truly dumbazz's..

stupid driver
11-28-2003, 09:19 AM
maybe they changed it to the 38mm, and just got rid of the 35.5 all together. I can see where you are gettin at rico, how it would cause confusion. But, if they did away w/ the 35.5 and just started sellin the 38 w/ the same number, it would all work out. So if you were to order the carb w/ the part number that the 35.5 has, (after the remaining 35.5's had been sold) they would probably send you the 38 mm carb. I brought the issue up w/ one of the honda guys at torrance, Ca when i was callin about my old motor. He assured me that the 38 was not a typo, that they just felt the 38 mm gave the 400 a bit more response and overall power.

11-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by stupid driver
maybe they changed it to the 38mm, and just got rid of the 35.5 all together. I can see where you are gettin at rico, how it would cause confusion. But, if they did away w/ the 35.5 and just started sellin the 38 w/ the same number, it would all work out. So if you were to order the carb w/ the part number that the 35.5 has, (after the remaining 35.5's had been sold) they would probably send you the 38 mm carb. I brought the issue up w/ one of the honda guys at torrance, Ca when i was callin about my old motor. He assured me that the 38 was not a typo, that they just felt the 38 mm gave the 400 a bit more response and overall power.

Does this guy have proof or is he going by what everyone else is going by. Paperwork from honda stating it's a 38 and that's it. I could be wrong and if I am i'll admit it but something just isn't right about this.:huh

44oEX
11-28-2003, 10:08 AM
I know you said that you are taking about the bore size and not the air hoses. But if they change the air hoses and keep the same part # they could have changed the bore size and keep the same #. is like the others said maby they sold the smaller one's firts and then started to sell the bigger ones

Wingnut
11-28-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't see honda stocking 2 different parts with the same number. If they did they are truly dumbazz's..

17 16100-HN1-013 CARBURETOR (QB10A A) 99-00
17 16100-HN1-013 CARBURETOR (QB10A B) 01-04

Yep, you're right.:mad: Honda's full of dumbazz's.
BTW, that came from one of your all knowing sources.;)

stupid driver
11-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Does this guy have proof or is he going by what everyone else is going by. Paperwork from honda stating it's a 38 and that's it. I could be wrong and if I am i'll admit it but something just isn't right about this.:huh

sry rico, no proof but what came out of his mouth. But, he put me on hold for a cupple of minutes while he checked it out, so i dont think he said it just because of a gut instinct. I dont give a hoot if its 35.5 or 38, my carb whoops um both :D . I would like to find out for sure though. I will send them an email and see if they can fax me or sumthin.

monkeyboy
11-28-2003, 10:47 AM
:mad:

sweet300ex
11-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
:mad:
what he said? i think:huh

04EXdude
11-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys for your responses. I'm pretty satisfied that its a 38mm carb because not only is it on their website, its also in the sales brochure and if its a typo then I would think they could be held liable. Either way I'm very happy with this machine!.............:D

muff
11-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by 04EXdude
Either way I'm very happy with this machine!.............:D

thats good to hear...and welcome to the site :cool:

Kawboyz beware
11-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Well I measured my stock carb on my 350x and the service manual says it is a 31mm. I measured it to be a 34.?? unless i was measuring it in the wrong spot.