PDA

View Full Version : Stock pipe- Silver thing- Re jetting

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 06:05 PM
I have the stock pipe on my 400ex, buddy at school told me to take off the silver end thingy, and i did and its the spark arrestor i think. so i took it off and started it and its so dang loud and sweet.. lol

Can i leave it off? Its winter now so i dont think i need the arrestor.. :devil:

If i do leave it like this do i need to re jet it ?

sweet300ex
11-27-2003, 06:10 PM
you shouldnt have to rejet just from that

11-27-2003, 06:52 PM
you can leave it off.....you wont have to rejet.....it wont hurt anything either....if you thin kthat thing is loud you should hear my cobra exhaust :devil: when I had my spark arrestor off when i stioll had my stock exhaust I never once saw "fire or sparks" shoot out of it so nothing is going to catch on fire ;)

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 07:04 PM
I showed my dad it, and he said it was ok, but he thinks it will ruin the valves
because the pipe is made to have a certain amount of back pressure, and by taking it off it makes it to freeflowing and will burn the valves up .

cals400ex
11-27-2003, 07:15 PM
i have run mine without a spark arrestor for years. look at many of the aftermarket pipes, there a straight-threw design. i figure if my pipe is going to ruin my valves, its going to take long enough that my valves probally need replaced anyways. for jetting, in the winter you could go one size bigger on the main jet and you could also turn the fuel skrew out another turn from the factory 2.25 turns. the fuel skrew might get the bike to start a little easier. for winter, you go up (richer) on your jets. in summer, you go smaller (leaner) on your jets. however, your bike will run fine if you don't rejet when removing the spark arrestor.

Mofo Racing
11-27-2003, 07:22 PM
what I did was cut the back out of the "silver thing" and then I screwed the cap back on. It still is loud and it looks nice.

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mofo Racing
what I did was cut the back out of the "silver thing" and then I screwed the cap back on. It still is loud and it looks nice.

you you just cut the arrester off the silver end peice?

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 10:01 PM
up please, i really wanna be sure of this before i do it ;)

Mofo Racing
11-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Yep, just cut it straight off. I put the cap back on. Sounds nice but thats it. Don't expect any power increase. Oh and a word to the wise, don't do it with a dremel tool. You will be there forever. Trust me, I know. If I knew how to post a picture I would show you the end result.

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Mofo Racing
Yep, just cut it straight off. I put the cap back on. Sounds nice but thats it. Don't expect any power increase. Oh and a word to the wise, don't do it with a dremel tool. You will be there forever. Trust me, I know. If I knew how to post a picture I would show you the end result.

norco250rider@hotmail.com

send?

JOEX
11-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Why do you want a louder machine? All that is going to do is piss off others that don't like it, which is most people. Not to mention the risk of starting fires.

It is your choice but the rest of us will have to pay the price of stricter noise restictions and closed riding areas...

Joe

11-27-2003, 11:55 PM
i dont thin kthat taking off the sprak arrestor wil start a fire...as for pissing people off with a loud pipe you should hear my cobra...that mnakes the stock pipe w/o arrestor sound like NOT HING

JOEX
11-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i dont thin kthat taking off the sprak arrestor wil start a fire...as for pissing people off with a loud pipe you should hear my cobra...that mnakes the stock pipe w/o arrestor sound like NOT HING
The whole point of a spark arrestor is to reduce the risk of fires. That is why they have to be USFS approved.

Joe

hondarider2006
11-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Here is a mod you could do to your pipe if you really wanted...

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/index.htm

DangerousDean
11-28-2003, 07:11 AM
Can i run it jsut like this?
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/images/silencerend.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/images/silencerend.jpg

Water wont get in or anythingcasue the hole is so big?i dont wanna cut the arrestor off.. cause im gonna need it for the summer

hondarider2006
11-28-2003, 12:20 PM
just save your money and buy a pipe....if all you want is noise, and no power gain, you can pick up a DG or Corba really cheap on e-bay.