PDA

View Full Version : Hair-pin Turns

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 04:14 PM
How do you guys take hair-pin turns??? .... at race speed not trail speed.

Cause I slam on the brakes and shift down and then try to go again, but most of the time I get passed... and theres like no room to go outside unless you wanna go off the track.

Any suggestions?

Nausty
11-27-2003, 04:18 PM
try to take the corner as fast as you can because thats where people can gain the most time on you. So maybe go a little easier on the braking so you can set your self up around the corner better. Also try to get hard on ALL the brakes as hard as you can while still going where you wanna go. Find where your braking points are and try to carry as much momentum around the corner as possible.

Move in through the middle/inside cut around the apex and go to the outside/middle all the while not letting anyone get by. IF they are farther behind you round it off more.

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Well since Im in the 350 & under class, Im racin against Warriors and stuff...... the 300exs I have no problem, its just the Warriors and every race I had I got passed by one. So during this off season I wanted to practice turning so I can make up some time.

So go in the middle/inside of the track until the turn then powerslide back toward the middle then shift down, and wack the gas and go?

Nausty
11-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by DaveEX7

So go in the middle/inside of the track until the turn then powerslide back toward the middle then shift down, and wack the gas and go?

ok, I dunno abt the middle to inside i guess it all depends. Basically you wanna take the corner as wide as possible without worrying around getting passed and not going to far past the apex. Get the rear end slid out as soon as possible downshift and get on the gas and point your inside knee towards where you wanna go. Brake with ALL 4 brakes and you will gain A LOT of time because in most of the beginner classes almost no one does it and it will cut your stopping distance in half and u'll be able to get on the gas that much harder.

As weird as it sounds if you have a ps2 check out grand tourismo 3. By the time you get the game most of the way beat you will just be able to look at tracks and understand how know the fastest lines and how to maintain as much momentum as possible and what to watch out for passing wise.

Also if your front end starts to push before you get all the way in the corner lean forward and ease on the front brakes a little bit and get on the gas so you can turn sharper and maintain more of your momentum.

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
ok, I dunno abt the middle to inside i guess it all depends. Basically you wanna take the corner as wide as possible without worrying around getting passed and not going to far past the apex. Get the rear end slid out as soon as possible downshift and get on the gas and point your inside knee towards where you wanna go. Brake with ALL 4 brakes and you will gain A LOT of time because in most of the beginner classes almost no one does it and it will cut your stopping distance in half and u'll be able to get on the gas that much harder.

As weird as it sounds if you have a ps2 check out grand tourismo 3. By the time you get the game most of the way beat you will just be able to look at tracks and understand how know the fastest lines and how to maintain as much momentum as possible and what to watch out for passing wise.

Also if your front end starts to push before you get all the way in the corner lean forward and ease on the front brakes a little bit and get on the gas so you can turn sharper and maintain more of your momentum.

So what you're sayin is head toward the outside, hit all 4 brakes and shift down..... wack the gas and il be pointed toward the middle of the track again??

Cause Il try this tomorrow at the same track that has this turn, so I can get it down.

I need to get as much speed as possible because after the hair-pin turn, theres a 40 foot table top, and only 30 feet to get speed.

And Im only on my 250 so I need to get as much speed as possible.

Nausty
11-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Alright if it is a REALLY tight hair pin do that. If you can hold your momentum round it off as much as you can without getting passed and get your butt over the rear as soon as possible. I'm sorry if i'm not helping that much but I really suck at explaining stuff and there is so many what ifs, as in track layout, type of dirt, ect.
Sometimes it almost better to come into a complete stop and whip a 180 down shift to first and get going again or just get to the outside lock up all 4 brakes then let off the fronts and let your rear tire slide out while your still on the brakes and then get on the gas as soon as you think you can spot yourself ending up on the outside of the track after the turn. I hope i'm helping and not confusing you.:(

I could just tell you what to do but I want you to know why so you know how to applie it to differant situations and techniques. IF I had to give u a answer though I think it would be fastest for you to round it off since you don't have much power and you need to clear the next jump.

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 06:23 PM
You're not confusing me.... its just that its kinda hard to understand, like I know what your trying to say, its just sounding weird.

Well the slamming on the brakes technique hasnt worked, and the rounding off technique just slides me to the outside.... so Il slam on the brakes and then wack the gas and have my rear whip out then Il go again.

Nausty
11-27-2003, 06:32 PM
You're not confusing me.... its just that its kinda hard to understand, like I know what your trying to say, its just sounding weird.

Well the slamming on the brakes technique hasnt worked, and the rounding off technique just slides me to the outside.... so Il slam on the brakes and then wack the gas and have my rear whip out then Il go again.

ok keep in mind some times you gotta go slower in some areas to go faster through out more. So if your going to far to the outside and its pushing you need to break sooner and maybe coast a little bit more into it and round it off more. Bye rounding it off you still gotta go to the outside but your pry going into the corner to hot and going way past the apex.

There is a lot of little stuff I wanna tell you but I don't think your ready for it and I think it will only make it worse. But so far does that all make since right there? To me it seems like your going strait at the apex, then stopping and turning as sharp as possible and going way past the apex and is waht you wanna do is make it one long smooth turn while still not going past the apex. Make sence? Set yourself up for the turn and turn ahead of time so that by the time you get to the corner you'll be making up for all the sliding you'll be doing and you already got your self set up for it.

Anything else you want me to go more in depth on. I'm trying lol.

Glow Plug
11-27-2003, 07:15 PM
I don't know if this will help but try setting up some plastic garbage cans and try your best to turn around those good luck

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Ya it makes sense.

What Im doing is swingin left, then slammin on the brakes and tryin to cut back right (cause its a right turn).... left turns I have no problem, but I cant seem to do the same on right hand turns.

And all I do is slide on the right turn cause it kinda goes downhill from other riders tearin it up.

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
I don't know if this will help but try setting up some plastic garbage cans and try your best to turn around those good luck

Ya know, thats a good idea!! But all turns arent the same so I dont know if it would work to well. Cause I would have to set up the cans for every turn I have trouble with.

Thanks anyway.

Glow Plug
11-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Ya know, thats a good idea!! But all turns arent the same so I dont know if it would work to well. Cause I would have to set up the cans for every turn I have trouble with.

Thanks anyway.

yeah ture but it might help you just work on your entry/ exit problem well just an idea

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
yeah ture but it might help you just work on your entry/ exit problem well just an idea

Ya, Im going to try it tomorrow...... Il bring orange cones and put them along the turn.

1 where I dont wanna go any further..... 1 where I dont wanna go too far inside.

Thanks!

300extreme#8
11-27-2003, 09:32 PM
what helps me practice for those turns is practicing using my backend to turn ,just practice using you clutch unstead of the brake and roll then pop it and spinn the rear tires and use your body weight to center the backend where it needs to go,if you can keep your momentum you will keep your speed and you'll will get faster in turns,try to start chargin to turn differently in practice laps and find out which way is fastest,that faster you are in the turns the faster your lap times,so just practice and you'll figure it out sometime.and if your worried bout the just after the turn if your not pickin up enough speed take the turn on the outside b/c you keep more momentum on the outsides of turns but you may not be quicker in that area but you should make the jump no problem

DaveEX7
11-27-2003, 09:36 PM
What I think Im gonna do is just take the turn more to the outside, cause Im faster in other parts of the track, except for that one turn.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Juggalo
11-27-2003, 10:43 PM
whys this in the freestyle forum?

DaveEX7
11-28-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
whys this in the freestyle forum?

I know it should be in the EX Racing forum.