PDA

View Full Version : compression ring

kenny
11-27-2003, 11:57 AM
just finished building my engine last night.11:1 je.told to use oe honda head gasket.hangs into combustion chamber 440 bore. told thats fine.piston doesnt touch it.also i filed my compression riing to .009. book says .008-.014 i wanted it tight. later my buddy did the math on je worksheet came up with .016.do you think i will be ok.break in went fine.thanks for the tips on that.im halfway there actually.still need to stay off the pipe for awhile.full throttle full time.second ring to .013.im gonna blow it up this weekend at the dunes huh. i love ex riders this site is sick.dude i wanna go chase some turkeys lol. :devil:

hondafox440
11-27-2003, 12:19 PM
What do you mean he did the math and came up with .016? You put the ring in the cylinder and align it with the piston, then measure the gap between the ends of the ring with a feeler gauge. No math is involved.

kenny
11-27-2003, 12:40 PM
ok. i read the insert that came with the piston kit je. it explains the types of rings and their applicatin.some are cut differently than others depends on application.i left the sheet at work. cant explain details now.anyways you determine what ring you are using and then multiply or divide a # with the bore this equation determines the ring gap. im pretty sure that is what it said. smaller cylinder smaller ring gap i guess.so say i put the ring into cyl straighten the ring with piston measure .009 compression.do you think its too tight ;)

2004TRX450R
11-28-2003, 02:19 AM
If it is with in the specs then it should be fine. If you haven't had any problems by now and you have had it up to operateing temps then you more than likely won't have any problems.