PDA

View Full Version : 450R. FCR or not?

QuadMatt
11-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Im confused......

ATV Action says the 450R does have an FCR carb. But I have been hearing otherwise... What gives???

cr500r
11-27-2003, 01:21 AM
it doesnt

TGW_400ex
11-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by quadmatt
Im confused......

ATV Action says the 450R does have an FCR carb. But I have been hearing otherwise... What gives???

They put a FCR on the 450r for the baja 1000

TC17
11-27-2003, 09:38 AM
i think it has a Keihn 42mm...it's not the flatside like the FCR, the FCR is only 38mm though

brif
11-27-2003, 05:50 PM
The crf bike has a 40mm fcr carb:)

QuadMatt
11-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Well, I have heard from a couple sources the 450R does not have the FCR. Maybe someone from ATV Action didnt do their homework.

Ryan
11-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Yup, the 450r doesn't have a fcr carb.

brif
11-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by brif
The crf bike has a 40mm fcr carb:) I am refering to the dirt bike not the atv. I am assuming this is the carb they ran on the baja winning machine. My question is why did they change carbs when the rest of the bike appeared relitivly stock? I thought I read some where the carb that the atv was using was comparable to the fcr in performance if this is true why did they switch it?

QuadMatt
11-27-2003, 10:43 PM
I think, as an engineer, the reason they dont use the FCR is simply $$$. However I have read that the D-Slide carb that is used is 42mm. I think the large size carb is used to get the top end power from this high torque motor setup, yielding an excellent power curve, i think.

The FCR on my 400EX made excellent low end power improvements, but WOT performance should be alot about bore size, i.e. 42mm.

I still wish they put the FCR.

markeg192
11-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by quadmatt
I think, as an engineer, the reason they dont use the FCR is simply $$$. However I have read that the D-Slide carb that is used is 42mm. I think the large size carb is used to get the top end power from this high torque motor setup, yielding an excellent power curve, i think.

The FCR on my 400EX made excellent low end power improvements, but WOT performance should be alot about bore size, i.e. 42mm.

I still wish they put the FCR.

I think thats what Honda had in mind.

dirtriderex
11-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Dude the quad is $6500 you eithar have that much $ or you don't. If you do, I don't think Honda would worry about the price.

QuadMatt
11-28-2003, 10:02 PM
dirtriderex, The whole world is controlled by sex and money. In this case, its money. Honda made a management decision to use a lesser expensive carb for this product, the TRX450R. They decided that the lesser carb is adequate for the application, and that the market will except the product for the taget price that they previously specified, $6500. They likely chose the price early in the game, specifically, a price less than the yammi.

REmember, that every aspect of a new ATV or similar product, is measured, down to the type of corrosive coating on the bolts, to determine the most cost effective solution.

Fred55
11-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Honda usually only does things if they know it will work and wokr well, now my guess is that they used the larger 42 to get a broader...more usable powerband....frankly...I dont care what carb its got on it, unless your a pro, the carb doesnt matter in a race...its the rider.

QuadMatt
12-01-2003, 01:10 AM
I just wanted to make a correction to a statement i made previously.

The 450R carb is to be a butterfly style, not D slide as i mistakenly stated.

12-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Carb:
While it looks like a constant-velocity (CV) carb, it is not one. It uses a butterfly combined with a round slide for a high-performance carb that is easier to tune than a high-strung race carburetor. A nice touch is that all the moving parts are protected from dirt behind the plastic cover (top).http://www.atvrideronline.com/newsfront/carb_z.jpg

markeg192
12-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Honda usually only does things if they know it will work and wokr well, now my guess is that they used the larger 42 to get a broader...more usable powerband....frankly...I dont care what carb its got on it, unless your a pro, the carb doesnt matter in a race...its the rider.

Exactly

Colby@C&DRacing
12-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda's lawyers made the call not to use the FCR carb for saftey reason. The FCR carb is made by keihen to be used with a push pull twist throttle only it is not made for a thumb throttle and honda does not want a law suit on there hands. There was a tech article in one of my dealer news mags that was aswered by a tech from honda he claims the performance difference between the 42mm butterfly carb and the 40mm fcr were very small and they felt that saftey was more important considering the small difference in hp:)

raptor_02
12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
if you want my opinion on the topic I think Yamaha had racing in mind when designing the quad and Honda was think of ways not to get their butts sewed off. Panzy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way that the carb on the Honda is as good as an FCR, if so then why didn't Honda use one on their CRF dirtbike. I'll tell you why, Honda want peformance first out of their bike and they don't really care about their quad as long as it stays close to the yami. But to get the most out of your money the YFZ is the way to go in my opinion. It comes with a high compresion piston, tit vavles, and an FCR carb. Yamaha designed theirs for performance first while honda was just thinking of ways to stay close. That's the bottom line. But that still don't mean you can' make the TRX as good or better. It will just cost more money and I'm not ready to spend the extra cash when I can just go to the local shop and pick me up a bad ***** quad which is the YFZ.

Out_Sider
12-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
if you want my opinion on the topic I think Yamaha had racing in mind when designing the quad and Honda was think of ways not to get their butts sewed off. Panzy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way that the carb on the Honda is as good as an FCR, if so then why didn't Honda use one on their CRF dirtbike. I'll tell you why, Honda want peformance first out of their bike and they don't really care about their quad as long as it stays close to the yami. But to get the most out of your money the YFZ is the way to go in my opinion. It comes with a high compresion piston, tit vavles, and an FCR carb. Yamaha designed theirs for performance first while honda was just thinking of ways to stay close. That's the bottom line. But that still don't mean you can' make the TRX as good or better. It will just cost more money and I'm not ready to spend the extra cash when I can just go to the local shop and pick me up a bad ***** quad which is the YFZ.

STFU with all your BS. no one cares about what you have to say. You just want to start somin :mad:

Dieselbike
12-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi guys, anyone know of a road bike that uses a 42mm carb?

I have a Harley Davidson sportster 1200cc and the carb is awful, she’s 15 years old now so I guess anything would be better than the original.
The Mikuni 42 flat side carb recommended is way too expensive £200+ in the UK. I just want to get one from a bike breakers.

I found this forum on yahoo, looking for carb info, you lot sound as if you know ya stuff. :D