PDA

View Full Version : Poll: 400ex gas tanks/ IMS vs.Clarke

RIDER11X
11-27-2003, 12:46 AM
Why is one better than the other?

mkremer1
11-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Rider 11, The clark tank looks good and fits good. It does not have the funny hump that looks strange and a b___ buster. I have been running mine for since they came lout and it has held up very well. It dis-colors a little from your knees rubbing but not bad, nothing that mop and glow will not fix. If you want pictures send a P.M.
Mike

P.S. With the fuel economy that I get with the 440 and the extra's I need all I can get when we are up by the Great Lakes ( MN, WIS. and MI. )

tprender
11-27-2003, 06:11 AM
I have had the IMS tank for over 3 years and have never had a problem getting hurt. When you first look at the tank you would think that it would kill you. I like the looks of the Clark tank, but it will only work if you have stock plastic, I tried to make one fit with my Maier plastic and it looked like it was going to be more troubl than the extra gas that I would gain, so I sold it. I do like the looks of the Clark. If you look close some of the gas sits lower that the gas petcock, so it might have a hard time emping out if you should ever go down that far.

RIDER11X
11-27-2003, 07:28 AM
I was all for the Clarke tank before I read this post from Wingnut. Now I'm really undecided.:confused:

Wingnut
no relation to Zingnut

I have a Clarke tank and an IMS tank. I use the IMS while the Clarke sits on my basement floor. There are several things I don't like about the Clarke:

1) About 1 gallon is held below the petcock. It's not a problem while moving and gas is sloshing around, but when stopped in a bottleneck with the gas low, you will run out of gas with a gallon still in the tank even on level ground. For example, if I had used the Clarke tank at the Ironman this year, I would have run out of gas in the bottleneck in the ravine. With the ravine being down hill, I probably would have run out even with two gallons left.

2) The back of the tank bolts up to part of the subframe (where the seat hooks on). I have this part of the subframe break off before. If the Clarke tank had been bolted up it would have had to support my weight. I don't think it would have for very long and probably would have ripped a hole in the tank.

3) Removing/installing the Clarke tank is a pain.

4) The petcock is relocated compared to stock and the IMS tank, and the fuel line is nearly kinked. It is very hard to use a fuel filter without it leaking.

5) It is nearly impossible to remove the carb without removing the Clarke tank. If you use the snorkle, it is even hard to remove the airbox. Both can be removed easily with the IMS tank installed.

6) I have seen dirt get into the holes the front fenders hook to and wear a hole in the tank.

7) You will unavoidably get water in the tank, it happens to all tanks. The Clarke tank has a raised area around the gas cap. When you try to dump gas out, it turns into a trough to hold any water so that it won't come out.

In my oppinion, the IMS is better. Clarke had a some good ideas with their tank, but I don't think they did any extensive testing of it.

Wingnut
11-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Glad I could help.;) I have never had any trouble with the IMS tank. I usually finish a race with about a gallon left, never less than a half gallon ('03 Ironman). Before buying the IMS I was also worried about how it sticks up. But, not being able to have kids means more money for racing, right? I have only "hit" the tank once. It is broad enough that it doesn't put all the pressure in one spot. To be fair to IMS, I have had more trouble with the front edges of the seat.

Wingnut
11-27-2003, 09:06 AM
I have had two IMS tanks, both held 4.8 gallons. I never tested the Clarke tank's capacity.

kickin440
11-27-2003, 03:12 PM
I don't see why everyone is saying they are having trouble with aftermarket plastic my grey maier fits fine with my clarke.:confused: and when I run out of gas mine is almost dry.;)
And mine doesn't bolt on to the sub frame either:huh I have an FCR 39 and my fuel line is no where near kinked at all. And I have had mine since they first came out and after I heard that about the dirt getting in the holes I took off my plastic to make sure and I didn't even have any dirt in mine.(glad to see that) I have an IMS tank too but for me its the one sitting in the shop floor.
So my vote is Clarke all the way:)

P.S. When mine is dry I think it held 5.8 Gallons:)