hondafox440
11-26-2003, 11:02 PM
What kind of quad eh?

DangerousDean
11-26-2003, 11:12 PM
4hun ex

2004TRX450R
11-27-2003, 12:48 AM
I've never heard of a 4hun ex. But most any Honda quad you just loosen the 6mm alen bolts on the back of the swing arm then stick the alen wrench in the holes in the carrier on the left side of the swing arm and rotate back to tighten and foreward to loosen. You want it so that with the center of the front sprocket, swing arm pivot, and axle are all in a straight line that you have about 1/8" of play. That will be the tightest position in the swing arm's travel. You want just enough play that it won't get any tension on it at any position of the suspension travel.

11-27-2003, 10:57 AM
what if you do that &the carier wont move forawrds or backwards no matter how hard you try:confused:

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 05:55 PM
thanks dawgs

I got most of the info from a friend at school who owns a 400ex. Works better when your actually talking to people lol :)

thanks though
nice and good

Sportrax10
11-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
what if you do that &the carier wont move forawrds or backwards no matter how hard you try:confused:

Make it looser and pull it harder...

pnut420
11-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I've never heard of a 4hun ex. But most any Honda quad you just loosen the 6mm alen bolts on the back of the swing arm then stick the alen wrench in the holes in the carrier on the left side of the swing arm and rotate back to tighten and foreward to loosen. You want it so that with the center of the front sprocket, swing arm pivot, and axle are all in a straight line that you have about 1/8" of play. That will be the tightest position in the swing arm's travel. You want just enough play that it won't get any tension on it at any position of the suspension travel.

Just think about it 4hun ex. 4hundred ex. As in 400ex.

11-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Make it looser and pull it harder... ive taken the 4 bolts al lthe way out...i then pryed open the carrier with screw drivers...I then pulled the 4 wheeler back so hard the piece on the acrrier snapped off. there is still the other thing left for me too stick my screw driver into to adjust it. it still wont work...what do you think is holding it back? :confused:

DangerousDean
11-27-2003, 09:55 PM
ive taken the 4 bolts al lthe way out...i then pryed open the carrier with screw drivers...I then pulled the 4 wheeler back so hard the piece on the acrrier snapped off. there is still the other thing left for me too stick my screw driver into to adjust it. it still wont work...what do you think is holding it back? :confused:

you know it can only move a certain distance

11-27-2003, 10:51 PM
it wont go forwards or backwards at all...i already thought of that but thanks anyways...anyone else? :confused:

JOEX
11-27-2003, 10:56 PM
it wont go forwards or backwards at all...i already thought of that but thanks anyways...anyone else? :confused:
There is probably a bunch of crud inside that is causing it to sieze up. Remove the axle and carrier and clean everything out then reinstall.

Joe

11-27-2003, 11:08 PM
thats what i was thinking cause water came out of the bolts when i too kthem off ;) :(

2004TRX450R
11-28-2003, 02:39 AM
I know what he was talking about I just think it is dumb to say it like that so I was just messing with him.

If it is stuck there is probably a bunch of dirt/water/carosion in there and it is frozen up. Take it apart and you may have to drive it out with a block of wood and hammer or something. Clean it all up and reinstall it. If you lightly grease all the seals it will help them seal better and keep the crud out.

muff
11-28-2003, 08:53 AM
if the carrier won't turn there could be two things wrong

1. the carriers siezed in there...you'll need to take the axle out and pull the carrier out and grease it up

2. the caliper holder on the right side of the swingarm can get "stuck" this has happened to me, look in the front of the plate how it slides over the little roundish piece..the little round piece can get worn and it will get cocked in there locking the caliper holder in a place which would prevent the carrier from turning

kind of hard to explain :( if someone wants to know more about this i could get some pics to help explain

11-28-2003, 11:21 AM
i'd like to know more about it...i just changed m ybearings so i porb. did something wrong & waters getting in there corroding ****,.:(

liljosht
11-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Also ,besides the two 6mm allen bolts there is a bolt that holds the carrier in place. It is in the center of the swing arm housing and it is facing down. there have been times where i forgot to take this bolt out and i just bent my screwdriver when trying to tighten my chain.Maybe this is ur problem.

muff
11-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by liljosht
Also ,besides the two 6mm allen bolts there is a bolt that holds the carrier in place. It is in the center of the swing arm housing and it is facing down. there have been times where i forgot to take this bolt out and i just bent my screwdriver when trying to tighten my chain.Maybe this is ur problem.

sorry buddy but thats only on a 300ex, and that bolt has nothing to do with turning the carrier...it only keeps the carrier from completely falling out

11-28-2003, 12:33 PM
lol..i was reading that & was very confused :confused:

liljosht
11-28-2003, 12:37 PM
oh, my bad. and it does keep the carrier from turning. if it is not take out it will hit the zerk fitting and keep it from turning.

muff
11-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by liljosht
oh, my bad. and it does keep the carrier from turning. if it is not take out it will hit the zerk fitting and keep it from turning.

ohh i gotcha..I have a stock carrier on my 300 so I didnt think about that

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 02:47 PM
i'd like to know more about it...i just changed m ybearings so i porb. did something wrong & waters getting in there corroding ****,.:(

Mine is the same way and I have not had it apart yet.... everytime I adjust the tension I get water out when it is loosened up.... can't be good but no time to deal with it now... :o :o

11-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by quadrider400
Mine is the same way and I have not had it apart yet.... everytime I adjust the tension I get water out when it is loosened up.... can't be good but no time to deal with it now... :o :o exactly...its botering me but the whole axle thing is suck a pain in the *** to get off & I just did it & i dont feel like messing with it anymore....i just want the bearing carrier to move :mad: :mad: :mad:

liljosht
11-28-2003, 03:49 PM
its not too hard to take out the carrier.Ijust did it about an hour ago and greased my bearings(only took about 2 hours). if you do take it appart try putting some grease around the outside of the carrier, it will help it move. it helped mine move.

joeroadking
11-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by muff
sorry buddy but thats only on a 300ex, and that bolt has nothing to do with turning the carrier...it only keeps the carrier from completely falling out
sorry that is incorrect the bolt stops the carrier from turning on atc 200x,350x,250x,300ex,86-87 250r,85250r there is a casting on the carrier which contacts this bolt at max chain adjustment, I know this because I have had all of these bikes and actually seen this casting on all of the factory carriersit is shaped like a small ramp on outside of bearing housing for these model, will email photo of casting that contacts bolt if you requre have spare factory carrier for 250r right here.

muff
11-29-2003, 09:30 AM
I just meant to say that it wasnt like that on a 400ex, i didn't know about the other models you listed because I havent owned or worked on any of them before :o