PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! My rear brake won't bleed

EX Stud
11-26-2003, 09:18 AM
my rear brakes were not working so i decided to take the caliper completely off and clean it up good, then i put in some new pads then i reattached the caliper to the wheeler. I then filled the resivoir with brake fluid. I began pumping and nothing was happening. So i bought a little bottle and hose for pumping the fluid and air into.

I open the bleeder valve while holding the brake down.....i opened it just a bit and there is a tapered end on the hose that inserts into the hole on the bleeder valve. still i'm getting nothing!!

would the piece that goes in the hole in the bleeder valve be enough not to let air when i pump or should i get a bigger hose that covers the hole bleeder valve?

i'm lost this is my first attempt, please help

EX Stud
11-27-2003, 07:22 AM
i think i found my problem.........it is leaking through my parking brake.

would that keep my brake from working at all?

PATTE440
11-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Since you took the caliper off it is a lot easier to bleed brakes if you poor fluid into the caliper then re attach your line. Take the cap off of the reservoir and fill it up. Pump the pedal about five time then HOLD IT DOWN and lessen the bleeder valve with an 8mm wrench and then close then Let the pedal up and do it again and again till only fluid comes out and make sure you keep fluid in the reservoir. That should take care of ya. As for the fluid coming out of the parking brake I have no ideas. Hope this helps

11-27-2003, 11:22 PM
no fluid coes out of my reservoir..for my brakes to work i have to manually open the screw off the to pof the master cylinder & pour it into there & then they only work for a minute..there is no clog from my master cylinder to my reservoir & theres nop clog in the long line from master cylinder to caliper so im guessing my master cylinder is blown?

muff
11-28-2003, 08:36 AM
hmm I think you are just not bleeding them correctly

pump the pedal a few times, and hold it down, while still leaving the pedal down open the bleeder valve for a few seconds, then close the valve and pump the pedal again...you will have to do this a few times

and make sure you always have enough fluid

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I had a leaking problem with my parking brake. All the brake fluid was leaking out from around were the parking brake was bolted to the caliper

SO......i ordered a Nac's block-off hoping just to fix the problem because i never used my p-brake anyway

after puting everything back on and trying to bleed my brakes it is still leaking out from were the parking brake bolts to the caliper

I'm lost as to what to do i tightened the bolts as tight as they will go, but i'm still getting leakage

Do i need a new caliper?

K_Fulk
12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Here's how i fixed the leaking around the parking brake problem. Disasemble the caliper weld the hole in the back shut and get a new piston for a front brake caliper and reasemble.

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm gonna need more info on that.........I don't have a welder and haven't welded since shop class in 9th grade

K_Fulk
12-08-2003, 03:54 PM
You can take it to a local welding shop, they shouldn't charge you much just to plug a hole. Get new piston seals while your at it.
i powdercoated mine while i was it.