View Full Version : axle removal & tape?

xrracer36
11-26-2003, 08:21 AM
hi. i have a axcalibur axle on my 400ex that i am going to be taking off due to a worn sprocket hub, and was wondering if i need to replace any seals or gaskets before reinstalling it?

also, the axle nuts are blacktaped on it. i hear this is cuz they will work themselves loose somehow if you don't. wouldn't a drop of blue locktite work just as well?:confused: :huh

thanks,
racer36

nuttynewt
11-26-2003, 10:24 AM
The black tape is on there to not only help the axle nut from working loose, but to also keep dirt out of the fine threads on the axle nut making it easier to remove (always remember that these threads are left handed). I always apply an ample amount of anti-sieze before taping mine up.

xrracer36
11-26-2003, 10:35 AM
is that just electrical tape?

and again, are there any seals or anything i gotta get (i have the LSR double row axle bearing carries in the swingarm, if it makes any diff?) that will need replaced when reassembling?

44oEX
11-26-2003, 11:33 AM
electrical tape or even duck tape will work.

There is no gaskets to change.

Narly R
11-28-2003, 08:09 PM
I put black electrical tape and the best locktight I could get on my axel nut cause it kept comming off. Worked great!;)

AtvMxRider
11-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by xrracer36
. wouldn't a drop of blue locktite work just as well

thanks,
racer36

Use red loctite.

xrracer36
12-01-2003, 05:56 AM
are you serious? red loctite?
nuttynewt said about applying anti-seize, and you're telling me to use the almost permanent kind of locktite? :eek2: :confused:

thanks
racer36 :D

Fat Possum
12-01-2003, 06:50 AM
I would have to go with the anti sieze over the loctite. Those fine threads can be a booger with even a little dirt or oxidation on them, so gummy old loctite would suck. Electrical tape will do the trick and leave your lock nut clean for easier removal.

hondarider2006
12-01-2003, 07:56 AM
I wish this thread would have been on here about....6 months ago. When I put my bearings and what not back togeather, I used red locktight on my axle lock nut...this is gonna be fun getting off when my bearings go again...:rolleyes:

nuttynewt
12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I wish this thread would have been on here about....6 months ago. When I put my bearings and what not back togeather, I used red locktight on my axle lock nut...this is gonna be fun getting off when my bearings go again...:rolleyes:

Shouldn't be too bad, just use a little heat if it gives you problems.
I personally have never used loctite because I have never had the need to. When you putt around as slow as me, you don't work things loose too often.

hondarider2006
12-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by nuttynewt
Shouldn't be too bad, just use a little heat if it gives you problems.
I personally have never used loctite because I have never had the need to. When you putt around as slow as me, you don't work things loose too often.

Some of us like to ride WFO most of the time:D