PDA

View Full Version : gasket question

bdrue
11-26-2003, 12:45 AM
i recently installed a curtis sparks advance key and the side case cover ripped. i bought a new one today and i was wondering if i needed any kind of gasket sealant or if its ok to install as it is.

44oEX
11-26-2003, 08:30 AM
It's ok just clean the old one off.
Make sore it's clean.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-26-2003, 08:43 AM
yep just make sure the old gasket is cleaned off and the surface is clean and make sure you line the holes on the gasket when you put the bolts in, I accidently missed the gasket hole on the clutch side did not know it till I went riding and needles to say it was a short ride that day.:rolleyes:

quadmxracer
11-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Yeah just clean the gasket surface off really good with some gasket remover, let it soak for like ten minutes and then clean it off. I wouldn't put any sealer on the gasket because theres a chance it could come off in in spots and get in your oil and
eventually block off oil galleys. I hope this helps

F-16Guy
11-26-2003, 10:26 AM
I use a razor blade to carefully remove as much gasket as I can, then I use a small wire brush and some solvent for the final cleaning. No gasket maker.

11-26-2003, 03:34 PM
im about to have to change my cluthc..I have my new Tusk plates & springs with me...I also have a new gasket on hand...how hard will this project be? my friend also said that thers no way to keep the old gasket on there once it is removed & when i put the new one on there to use black gasket sealer....:( :(

Taco
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
im about to have to change my cluthc..I have my new Tusk plates & springs with me...I also have a new gasket on hand...how hard will this project be? my friend also said that thers no way to keep the old gasket on there once it is removed & when i put the new one on there to use black gasket sealer....:( :( I'd advise that you and your friend step away from the quad:)

cals400ex
11-26-2003, 10:28 PM
i have never done a clutch, but with a manual it can't be all that difficult. make sure the surface is clean, get a new gasket and don't use any sealer.