PDA

View Full Version : Help me start my 400. Please

the-ex-files
11-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Ok here's the deal. I have a stock 03 400ex. Today while riding I shut off the 400. Now it won't restart. My buddy helped me push start it and it fires right up. So the first thing I did was hook a battery charger to the battery. It went instantly to charged. So I think it's not the battery. So then I started to tighten the bolts around the battey, well the wrench touched the two little postive nuts. Sparks flew and she came to life. While running the neutral light flashes, and it is very dim. But the lights come on and are very bright,like always. So what else should I try, is it the voltage regulator? Thanks for for help!:cool:

ReconRider25
11-25-2003, 06:02 PM
soleniod?

toby400ex
11-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Does it make any noises when u hit the starter, do u hear clicking?

the-ex-files
11-25-2003, 06:21 PM
No clicking at all. I turn the key on and nothing happens at all. No green light either. Thanks for helping.

sprtrx300ex
11-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. The same thing happened to my 300. It turned out that a piece under the seat had come loose.

Also, sometimes the wires that go to the battery ports will wiggle loose. Make sure those are tight.

toby400ex
11-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Did u clean the battery connections before u tightened them, sounds like theyre dirty. Otherwise just check all the connections, there arent really that many.

the-ex-files
11-26-2003, 03:18 PM
I will clean and tighten them all down. Thanks!

smallearssuck
11-27-2003, 08:38 AM
I've had this happen before a few times....just change the fuse one of them burnt out. I think its the 2nd one good luck

pnut420
11-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by smallearssuck
I've had this happen before a few times....just change the fuse one of them burnt out. I think its the 2nd one good luck

Yeah that happened to me alot. Of course the first time it happened it had to be at night in Pismo.

2004TRX450R
11-27-2003, 10:31 AM
If there is no neutral light when it is in neutral either you neutral wire is unplugged or the switch is bad. It should be a green wire on the left side down by the sprocket. make sure is it plugged in. If you have an ohm meter check for continuity from the pin on the switch to ground in neutral. If there is not continuity you need a new switch.

the-ex-files
11-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Yep, it was the second fuse! Thanks for the replies. This is such a great site!

Chanman420q
11-27-2003, 05:47 PM
i was gunna say ill bet you a 100 bucks its the fuse

damn i was getting all excited as i was reading down cuz i knew it was the fuse, as soon as he said the neutral light was blinking and came on when the lighters were on. DAMN IT lol:p

MarkyNark
11-27-2003, 06:56 PM
One thing to consider is that the battery may have gone bad. When they go, they go in a few hours from perfectly normal to dead. They usually last a year or two. Check your voltage off the battery after you charge it - charge it while it is not hooked up to the quad. Charge it overnight. Then check the voltage in the morning. If you dont have any, then you'll know what the problem is.

pnut420
11-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i was gunna say ill bet you a 100 bucks its the fuse

damn i was getting all excited as i was reading down cuz i knew it was the fuse, as soon as he said the neutral light was blinking and came on when the lighters were on. DAMN IT lol:p

Hey their is more than one smart person put there, cant get it everytime :p . Since it is an 03 I doubt its the battery but you never know, but usually when that fuse blows it is for a reason, so keep a spare fuse in case it does it again

MarkyNark
11-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Hey their is more than one smart person put there, cant get it everytime :p . Since it is an 03 I doubt its the battery but you never know, but usually when that fuse blows it is for a reason, so keep a spare fuse in case it does it again

Hehehe!

Chanman420q
11-27-2003, 07:39 PM
i have some electricle problem. and when ever i turn the lights on it blows, so i just took the assembly ( lights/starter ) and broke t he light switch so it doesnt work. i kept hitting them on when i was riding, and i never use the lights. so that was my short term solver