PDA

View Full Version : ? on shipping a used motor

pnut420
11-25-2003, 03:17 PM
I bought an engine off a guy on here. He said he went to UPS and Fedex to ship it out and they told him since the motor has had oil though it, they will not ship it, so he said he will go through yellow express or something.

Can you really not ship a used motor or am I getting some b/s. Thanks for any help casue Im getting irritated now.

ReconRider25
11-25-2003, 03:25 PM
i thought you could ship any motor as long as all the fluids were drained out of it?

Greg Z
11-25-2003, 03:56 PM
yep when i was shipping out my banshee motor I had to drain all the fluid out of it to send it out!

pnut420
11-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Yeah thats makes sense, you cant send it out with oil in it, but he is saying that since the motor has had oil ran though it they wont ship it, but I think their is some b/s going on.

lilpoppy
11-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Dude I think you are getting ripped off!

pnut420
11-25-2003, 06:39 PM
I give him like 2-3 days then Im going to take further actions. He has been lagging way to long now, ever since I gave him the $, he has been taking his time. Told me it would be shipped out Saturday and he will call me to tell me he did so. Well, I never have gotten 1 call from him informing me on anything.

pnut420
11-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
Dude I think you are getting ripped off!

hmm. you arent to far from me maybe Ill just rip yours off. :cool:

K_Fulk
11-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Get your money back and buy mine :devil: . I'll get ups to ship mine.

stupid driver
11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
thats a bunch of bull$hit. Quadcustoms had no problems when he shipped my motor to me.

pnut420
11-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by stupid driver
thats a bunch of bull$hit. Quadcustoms had no problems when he shipped my motor to me.

Yeah, my uncle has done it quite a few times, thats why I was for sure ge was b/sing. I dont want to give him a bad name, but after not answring my call today, Im starting to get real pissed.

chrisc
11-26-2003, 03:53 PM
I shipped a snowmobile engine out 4 months ago UPS and had no problems . I do think it has bo be under 120 lbs. , i don't know what the engine weight is . on a 400ex . I know it must be drainded of all fluids . it was 92 lbs and cost me 80.00 to send. let us know how it workes out.

joeroadking
11-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by chrisc
I shipped a snowmobile engine out 4 months ago UPS and had no problems . I do think it has bo be under 120 lbs. , i don't know what the engine weight is . on a 400ex . I know it must be drainded of all fluids . it was 92 lbs and cost me 80.00 to send. let us know how it workes out.
how did you pack it was it crated?

stupid driver
11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
a 400ex motor is right at 90lbs drained.

mine was shipped in a plastic storage container, filled w/ a bunch of packing, and then the lid was zip tied on. The shipping took an extra day due to the size issue, but that was it.

pnut420
11-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by stupid driver
a 400ex motor is right at 90lbs drained.

mine was shipped in a plastic storage container, filled w/ a bunch of packing, and then the lid was zip tied on. The shipping took an extra day due to the size issue, but that was it.

90 pounds OMG, I knew I should have gotten a 250r:eek:

chrisc
11-26-2003, 08:03 PM
The snwomobile engine was put in a box I got a kohler mower engine in. it was really thick . and I bolted the engine to a plywood bottom and packed the sides with paper. tell the guy to go to the local mower shop and ask for a engine box. it seems strange that you can get a mower engine from UPS but you can't ship a quad engine?

pnut420
11-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by chrisc
The snwomobile engine was put in a box I got a kohler mower engine in. it was really thick . and I bolted the engine to a plywood bottom and packed the sides with paper. tell the guy to go to the local mower shop and ask for a engine box. it seems strange that you can get a mower engine from UPS but you can't ship a quad engine?

You can, this guy is just trying to b/s me.

yellerfour00
11-29-2003, 05:58 AM
yea you can my dad did it with a 350 chevy he built for a guy.. that guy just dicking with you....if all the oil is out of the motor then its fine.

Woodsrider
11-30-2003, 08:39 AM
I have to agree with everyone else here, he's screwin with you. We get trannies from UPS all the time at work. And we have had junk yard motors shipped as well.

If he puts the motor in a plastic bag, then fills a rubbermaid tub full of packing peanuts and ziptie the lid on it will ship fine.
Call him and leave a message that if youdont have a tracking number by a given date the you will take legal action. Then follow up and press charges for fruad.

2004TRX450R
11-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
He said he went to UPS and Fedex to ship it out and they told him since the motor has had oil though it, they will not ship it,

This is partially true. If anything has come into contact with a combustable fluid then it CAN'T be AIR shipped. It CAN go GROUND though. You have to specificly write on the box that it has to go ground or there is a nasty fine if they find out. With a lot of you guys shipping stuff did you tell them what was in the box when you were shipping it? Just because you were able to ship something doesn't mean that you were supposed to ship it the way it was shipped and that they necessarily knew what was being shipped.