PDA

View Full Version : XC racers: Questions on the Clarke 5.5 gal. tank........

RIDER11X
11-25-2003, 09:32 AM
1. Do you really get to use all of the gas in the tank, or are there parts that hold gas below the petcock? If so, how much is left over? Alot?

2. How many hours of racing can you go with this tank?

3. Have you had any problems with the fit, use or durability of this tank?

4. What color did you choose? Do you like it?

Thanks guys!:cool:

bradley300
11-25-2003, 10:18 AM
i dont have 1, but 5.5 gallons seems like it would last a 2 hr. xc no problem.

i have seen them tho, and i think the clear is ugly, try to get black, or one to match the fenders. you also cant put stickers on the tank.

11-25-2003, 10:47 AM
Well it's twice as big as a stocker tank so i'd say you could go dam near 4 hours on one tank of gas runnin none stop... I can run just barely over 2 hours nonstop with my stock tank and simi beefed up motor. If you have to stop and refill this 5.5 tank up during a XC race i'd have to say you suck....LMAO :D

Unless your racing the baja...:devil:

RIDER11X
11-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Well it's twice as big as a stocker tank so i'd say you could go dam near 4 hours on one tank of gas runnin none stop... I can run just barely over 2 hours nonstop with my stock tank and simi beefed up motor. If you have to stop and refill this 5.5 tank up during a XC race i'd have to say you suck....LMAO :D

Unless your racing the baja...:devil:

I'd say at that point you must have gotten really lost, and stopped for directions! Thanks. Which GNCC's you doing this year?

kickin440
11-25-2003, 05:47 PM
There is only a little bit left over when you run out of gas I guess because the shaking and off cambers you use most of it. I have a 460 stroker run a 39 fcr with a 195 main jet and I can run at least four hours on a tank. As far as fit it is perfect the only problem I have had with it is when you bolt the front fenders on I had to put washers between the plastic and the tank to keep the tabs from ripping off the plastic. I have a black one and I love it The one thing I have a com;laint about is the knob for the petcock is down and back so graphics don't fit right.

Cannonball08
11-25-2003, 09:35 PM
1. You get use of most of the gas in the tank except for a little, at the last race at R&D this year i forgot to fill up before the race, when my bike shut off I picked the front end up to get gas to the petcock and finished to lap

2.I can get almost 4 hours. I can get a full four hours if I pick the front end up toward the end of the last lap... LMAO

3. Mine don't fit perfect but not bad enough that is loose.

4. Mine is black and I recommend them.

Out_Sider
11-26-2003, 06:59 AM
does anybody know about those bigger gas tanks for the 300ex? i've heard they bulge out of the sides of the plastic..but i dont think that would be too much of a problem...and i hate the stock steel gas tank....rust is a ******:cuss:

Cannonball08
11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
I don't know about 300ex tanks.

atl855
11-26-2003, 07:59 AM
mine is natural, not the prettyest thing, but i love it, 4 houes easly, it does not look great cuz i do not have graphics on it, it allows me to see exactly how much gas i have left i would recommend natural with graphics on it

Wingnut
11-26-2003, 03:53 PM
I have a Clarke tank and an IMS tank. I use the IMS while the Clarke sits on my basement floor. There are several things I don't like about the Clarke:

1) About 1 gallon is held below the petcock. It's not a problem while moving and gas is sloshing around, but when stopped in a bottleneck with the gas low, you will run out of gas with a gallon still in the tank even on level ground. For example, if I had used the Clarke tank at the Ironman this year, I would have run out of gas in the bottleneck in the ravine. With the ravine being down hill, I probably would have run out even with two gallons left.

2) The back of the tank bolts up to part of the subframe (where the seat hooks on). I have this part of the subframe break off before. If the Clarke tank had been bolted up it would have had to support my weight. I don't think it would have for very long and probably would have ripped a hole in the tank.

3) Removing/installing the Clarke tank is a pain.

4) The petcock is relocated compared to stock and the IMS tank, and the fuel line is nearly kinked. It is very hard to use a fuel filter without it leaking.

5) It is nearly impossible to remove the carb without removing the Clarke tank. If you use the snorkle, it is even hard to remove the airbox. Both can be removed easily with the IMS tank installed.

6) I have seen dirt get into the holes the front fenders hook to and wear a hole in the tank.

7) You will unavoidably get water in the tank, it happens to all tanks. The Clarke tank has a raised area around the gas cap. When you try to dump gas out, it turns into a trough to hold any water so that it won't come out.

In my oppinion, the IMS is better. Clarke had a some good ideas with their tank, but I don't think they did any extensive testing of it.

quadrcr87
11-26-2003, 07:31 PM
about the 300ex tank. i have a clark one and its only a little larger than stock. It is all hidden under the fenders. but i love it

RIDER11X
11-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
I have a Clarke tank and an IMS tank. I use the IMS while the Clarke sits on my basement floor. In my oppinion, the IMS is better. Clarke had a some good ideas with their tank, but I don't think they did any extensive testing of it.

I really appreciate the honest opinion, as I want to research this as much as possible to get the best tank for my needs. You bring up some interesting points that I never considered.
Anyone else experience any of these problems, or problems with IMS tanks?:confused:

Cannonball08
11-27-2003, 08:32 AM
Those are some good points wingnut. I guess the two most important things i like about the clarke are that they look good and you won't bust your nutz on it like you do with the IMS