PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit?

EricB
02-12-2002, 11:50 PM
First off i have always love honda bikes i've been riding a 200r 3 wheeler since i was about 11 and its never broke down, since 1985. anyhow im 6' 1" and weight 260 i plan to do lost of trail riding and maybe some sand and possibly some small jumps. is the stock suspension gonna bottom out on me with normal trail woods riding? i was reading somewhere that it said the 400ex was bad for heavy folks. if this is true how expensive is adequate suspension?

Edit: i rode a fairly new warrior at the dunes and did some jumping..didnt seem to have any problems with me bottoming it out. but im just a little curious if the rumor is true? i haven't got to ride one yet im getting to this friday, also thinking about looking at the raptor, but i love honda so much it would have be a DAMNED good bike!

Holty
02-13-2002, 07:29 AM
I am 5ft 10in. tall and weigh around 245lbs. I go off the same jumps, go the same distance & height as my buddy on his raptor. We are hitting like 5 or 6 feet high and about 30 ft. jumps. He bottoms out almost everytime and I have NEVER even came close to bottoming out. Smooth landing everytime even if I mess up a little and land front end first. We both have stock suspension on the settings the came with from the factory and he weighs about 180lbs. or less.

EricB
02-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks dude that was my only concern about the bike.

PsychoDave
02-13-2002, 01:06 PM
i weigh 195lbs and i bottom out my suspension all the time. I land smooth and my quad is 3 months old.....i go big over jumps...
i would suggest getting better shocks in the future.....you dont have too but it could help later on when the shocks start to fatigue. I need to do that right now!!!!

EricB
02-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Where is a site or something that has prices and info about suspension? i just like to do all my homework before i goto the dealerships and shops. they always hassel you into getting something you dont want if you dont know what you are talking about =/

trx400ex
02-13-2002, 01:36 PM
www.motojoe has a section of faqs on shocks
www.kandk atv has prices for diffrent brands

i only wieghed 120 iand i could bottom out the shocks, but this is because i jump all the time,, if they do bottom hard often replace them, or else you will end up with broken aarms and a cracked frame,, trust me its cheaper to buy the shocks at first........for my needs, all stock shocks suck,,,but the 400exs are one of the beest stock ones......

PsychoDave
02-13-2002, 01:40 PM
well said!!!! i couldnt of said it better myself....thanks

EricB
02-13-2002, 02:16 PM
i'll be jumping some, maybe a few feet in the air. depends on how crazy i get. hehe ya i used to have some rock shox on my old diamond back mt bike i meen i could bottom out the shocks if i took a huge jump and landed bad, but other than that i see where you are comming from.

Holty
02-13-2002, 02:35 PM
I must have gotten really lucky with "super" suspension on my 400ex. I've yet to bottom my shocks out on a jump and I do weigh 245lbs and hit descent sized jumps, although nothing really major.

02-14-2002, 09:15 AM
i was 250 during this summer...droped 25 pounds now.anyways i could bottom out my shocks. since i think your new to quads let me tell you my theroy on moderations to your quad..suspension and frame first, motor later.welcome to exriders

EricB
02-14-2002, 10:16 AM
oh i dont have it yet =/ still waiting for tax returns hehe. hmm good call i'll look into those things first, would probably be in my best interest to create an even stronger platform and then do other mods.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 11:40 AM
on the bottom of the shocks the adjusting thing....witch way is set to soft and witch to hard....mine one back from one of the directions.....also....what tools do you use to adjust them...so i can play around and get it a little stifer....also...if i make it stifer and i bottom them out now...would stiffining them make it worse on my bike or better...???

honda400zx
02-19-2002, 04:50 PM
ok ex-citeing you need a spanner wrench to tighten the shocks up and if you keep bottoming the bike out it will hurt it more than bottoming it only once in a wile

"BLAHH"300!!
02-19-2002, 05:33 PM
....but could you anwer the rest too...
witch way is set to soft witch is to hard...would setting them to hard be worse or better....and what the h_ _ _ is a spanner wrench...

Lil90man!!
02-19-2002, 06:22 PM
a spanner wrech is a lil wrench with a handle that has...hmm i can't really describe it it has a handle and the kinda curves up then has a point where another piece connects and it curves and has like a little hook on it??? ok now that i have really confused u i know that places like rocky mountain atv sell them i dunno if you can get them somewhere else or not?? but about the shocks the higer the ring is up the stiffer the shocks are just go look at it you'll get the idea the farther the ring is up towards the top the stiffer it is but i have heard say that this DOES NOT help bottoming out, but i am not sure!

DiceMan400
02-19-2002, 10:24 PM
You can set your shocks with your hands..... Just take the weight off the shocks by puttin your bike on a stand......

"BLAHH"300!!
02-19-2002, 10:58 PM
stanx fo da info main.

02-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Have no fear, Eric. I've been as heavy as 525# on mine and no problems. I just cranked up the preload all the way on the rear shock, and never had a problem.

Enjoy.