PDA

View Full Version : TC Racing

FMF416EX
11-24-2003, 07:37 PM
does ne body kno the number for TC racing? also does ne body have the 425 kit cuz im interested in it and i juss wanna kno the kinda power that it puts out?

Dave400ex
11-24-2003, 08:06 PM
814-723-3514. The 425 is suppose to be a really good setup. I will be getting his XC Cam and Headstuds very soon.

stupid driver
11-24-2003, 08:17 PM
i have the 425 kit. It is awesome. Great gains everywhere, but strongest on the top end. Thats mainly because of the mx grind cam that it has. Dont get me wrong though, twice the bottom as when i was just piped. I have a 39mm fcr carb with it, and it works great as well. A little hard to set up on the very bottom, but otherwise not a single complaint. I am very happy with the power and speed that this motor gave me. If i had the choice of this or the 440, id do this all over again. ;)

FMF416EX
11-25-2003, 06:18 PM
for that whole mx set up u got about how much did it cost? and u didnt have to sent ur motor to them did ya?

stupid driver
11-25-2003, 08:06 PM
i bought the motor from quadcustoms, because my stocker blew to bits(long story). Im pretty sure that he recommends you send him your motor, but what engine builder wouldnt. Im sure you could just buy the parts, and do the work yourself. It might have a little less power, but you spend less, and you aint waitin for 6-12 months. The motor cost me 1600 shipped.

MDE3
11-26-2003, 12:53 AM
Better to send him the motor, then you know he has been able to "dial it in" Tom is a custom race engine builder, not a kit maker. A lot of the power is from the flow TC creates when he dials in the porting, the cam and the jetting, so just tossing parts at your motor will not get you where a TC built motor will go. Besides your motor will be more valuable when it has TC Racing Engines scribed on it. You are correct about the lead time but he will tell you in advance how long it will take. Generally he is pretty accurate.

400exBro
11-26-2003, 03:16 PM
I talked to someone at TC today, and probably am going to get his cam, piston, head studs and tc rev limiter. He told me that there is no need for a aftermarket timing chain or rod. Should i run the timing chain and harden the rockers plus the HD spring kit?? or am i okay with out them. He also said that this will bring the hp close to 40, but with a lectron carb. Should i run a lectron or FCR 39mm?? i have heard a lot of good things about the fcr, and would rather run that, but he told me that it will produce less power.
Also is it neccsary to get the TC head work done with these mods??
I am going to talk to sparks and see how his 416 or 426 mx kit work out to be.

Dave400ex
11-26-2003, 03:23 PM
More then likely you talked to Tom. Every time I have asked about a Cam, he always says the stock rockers and springs are fine. He loves those Lectrons, but I think I would go with the FCR.

400exBro
11-26-2003, 04:01 PM
what about running those aftermarket timing chains??
Also, will i be happy with the just the kit (Cam piston rev box) plus the boring of the cylinder and port job by local engine builder? I will be running either uni or K&N filter with FCR 39mm carb and either LRD or Sparks exhuast. I hope i will be happy with this preformance.
Also stock head gaskets? Will they work with this set up or should i go with Comestic or C&D gaskets?

stupid driver
11-26-2003, 04:22 PM
go w/ the flex steel's from C&D racing. They are sweet

Dave400ex
11-26-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure on the cam chain. I never asked him about it. I think many places use it, and you couldn't go wrong if you did.
If I were you I would call Rocky Ridge and ask about a Port/Polish. He is a TC dealer and knows the TC stuff better then anybody but Tom himself. I think he quoted me $250 for a Port/Polish/Valve Job. Plus you might want to see if his prices are cheaper then Tom's.
I run the UNI and love it. I won't ever use the K&N again.
Either exhaust would be good. Pappy also had good results with his HMF on his TC 425.
Rick (465Stroker) would be able to answer some questions on the TC motor setup for you.

400exBro
11-26-2003, 05:35 PM
The reason i don't want to send my motor to tc is becuase it will cost to much for me to get it shipped down to where ever he is from, plus the cost for work and then return shipping. I will just have my local machine shop do it.
Also what kind of piston does TC perfer?? And would i need anyhting else done to the engine inorder for it to run top of the line?? I am on a budget at the moment and want my motor to be the strongest pulling, high output HP making ex, but still have really good reliabilty. I am gettting a set of JD a arms and elkas all the way around so handling is taken care of, motor and frame is all that is needed.

stupid driver
11-26-2003, 06:59 PM
im pretty sure that he runs JE pistons. I have an 11:1 in mine and it is exactly what i want. I run 50:50 race gas, so the price isnt ridiculous to keep the motor runnin. Although the motor isnt gonna be up to par w/ one you send to him, you can have a respectable builder do a good port n polish. But you gotta remember, even though it wont say tc on the side, it will still be one damn good motor. There isnt gonna be a huge difference in performance from 2 different builders. You will also be savin a lot of money and downtime. You will be happy with whichever route you take.

Dave400ex
11-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Actually for his 425 kit when I was going to get it he used Wiseco pistons.

str400ex
11-26-2003, 08:03 PM
its ok for you to have your mech. do the work like instalation but let tom do the head you wont be sorry

MDE3
11-27-2003, 05:00 AM
It's true.....TC doesn't do Doug Gust's engines for no reason...... He and Curtis Sparks are probably two of the best 4 stroke builders in the country.

If you want to go for very high compression, and power, it is important for an engine builder/tuner to do the work, as sometimes the piston must be custom cut for valve clearance, and the porting and cam have to match the other mods including the carb. It is possible to get some good results from just "kitting" a motor, but they will not be as good as a race tuned motor, by one of the premium builders.

I have run TC's Lectron's and they are very good carbs, but have never tried an FCR on the same motor to compare. He usess his own grind on the needle for the specific motor he is doing, which makes his carbs run well on the engines he tunes, so it is hard to just say Lectron's are better or worse than the FCR's in a generic sense, but I know the TC modded 44/38 Taperjet, is rated about the same as a 41 mm straight bore carb(that's according to Lectron not TC), so his claim of more power with his 44/38 taper jet Lectron may not be unfounded.

Lectron claims an increase in flow with the Taperjet design versus straight bore design carbs of something like 28%. The theory is that the velocity is still maintained at lower carb openings for low end power. In my experience, this is only true if you have the intake matched properly to the carb, otherwise the Lectron's have a reputation for weaker low end power than the FCR's., and higher peak power.

So you understand what the difference is between a Taperjet and a regular straight bore carb, the Lectron's are tapered both into the fuel gate area as well as out of the fuel gate, creating an exagerated venturi effect to increase air flow.