PDA

View Full Version : Wreaked hillclimbin yesterday

TGW_400ex
11-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I was going up the hill in third and i use to do this climb all the time with my stock tires but now I got puresports and i have to run 12psi in them because the bead wont seal! Anyways I was almost up the hill but i was bouncing all over the place and my front tire cliped a tree on the hill i went over the bars and luckily a tree caught my quad:D But anyways does anyone climb w/ Kenda Klaws and how do you feel about them?

400exdad
11-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Dang dude, I'm suprised the quad didn't bounce out of the back of the truck on the way to the trails! :D Break down the beads and clean'em real well and then oil up the bead with some motor oil. Then re-inflate the tires till the it makes a bead. Check for leaks and if it is, beat the tire at the bead with a rubber mallet. Should take care of it.

Glad you didn;t get hurt!

blasterguy1087
11-24-2003, 09:08 PM
i have klaws on the b-laster and they have been great for climbing so far. i have used them on everything from hard pack to sand and they havent failed me yet. the klaws also get brownie points from me for the slow wearing process... beats my old fast trekkers

TGW_400ex
11-25-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by blasterguy1087
i have klaws on the b-laster and they have been great for climbing so far. i have used them on everything from hard pack to sand and they havent failed me yet. the klaws also get brownie points from me for the slow wearing process... beats my old fast trekkers

Do you have MX or WC tires?

YZEATER
11-25-2003, 06:57 AM
don;t use motor oil to seat the bead. it will never dry and after it gets seated it can cause the tire to slip and spin on the bead. at the auto parts they sell special mounting fluid that dries and helps seal the bead to the rim.

Jeffksf
11-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
Break down the beads and clean'em real well and then oil up the bead with some motor oil. Then re-inflate the tires till the it makes a bead. Check for leaks and if it is, beat the tire at the bead with a rubber mallet.

He probably uses WD-40 to put grips on too:rolleyes:

400Ex_Rida
11-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I use klaws for climbing and i love then. A friend of mine has the bandits and i can outclimb him.

TGW_400ex
11-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Yea I just think I'm takin the bandits off there too heavy and i like the klaws

cool 300ex
11-25-2003, 08:27 PM
He probably uses WD-40 to put grips on too

Hey my friend wanted to go riding but needed to get his grips on. So he put some of that new skin stuff on them taht you are suppost to put on your cuts. It worked for a few weeks now they are lose again.

Nope i don't use klaws to climb i use fast trekkers with 4psi in them. :D

blasterguy1087
11-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Do you have MX or WC tires?

i have the xc tires... i just got a flat today after riding on them since march. im satisfied with them because i ride over a rocks and broken bricks all the time.

400exdad
11-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by YZEATER
don;t use motor oil to seat the bead. it will never dry and after it gets seated it can cause the tire to slip and spin on the bead. at the auto parts they sell special mounting fluid that dries and helps seal the bead to the rim.

The oil helps seal and seat a bead. If he is going to run 12 psi in his tires do you really think he is going to spend the cash for the "special mounting fluid" as you call it? :P Why don't you go to the Zone and ask for it?

400exdad
11-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Jeffksf
He probably uses WD-40 to put grips on too:rolleyes:

Theres one is every crowd..... ;)

Fat Possum
11-26-2003, 06:28 AM
Ya ever seen the warning on condoms that say "do not use with a petroleum based lubricant?" (well, trust me, it says that, kiddies.) Petroleum breaks down rubber, fast, so keep the oil away from your tires. Use thick goopy dishwashing detergent to seat your beads, then hose off the excess. Blue Dawn stuff works good.
Also, Shoe Goo is the shizzow for holding on your grips. Works better than spray paint, dries like yesterday, and you've got to cut 'em off when you swap 'em out. Even works well with the Renthal Soft blend ATV grips, (you know, the ones that "require" the "special Renthal glue?") uh huh.

Jeffksf
11-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Dishsoap IS the way to go for tire bead lube. You can usually water it down to 1/4 a bottle soap and 3/4 water. As a bonus the squeeze bottles work well for dipensing it to. Plus if you have a rim leak it will show up right away because the soap will bubble. Another tip is to bounce it around on the floor to help seat it.

YZEATER
11-26-2003, 09:44 AM
dish soap can also cause the tire to spin on the rim also.

Jeffksf
11-26-2003, 10:07 AM

Yeah but atleast you can wash it off with water. I've never had that problem with soap but then again I wasn't riding on a freshly mounted tire 10 min. after I soaped it up, then maybe that could be a problem then.

Got Huevos?
11-26-2003, 06:13 PM

the dishwashing liquid along with the water if u mix it dries up your moron and if it doesn't just wash the access off. :rolleyes:

MOFO
11-26-2003, 06:21 PM
I've seen dish soap being used on all types of tires and wheels for quads, bikes and cars. Never have they spun... works great.

muff
11-26-2003, 07:22 PM
havent had any problems with wd-40 or Simple Green...anything of that nature has worked for me...I've done over 10 beads like this

I dont think motor oil would be such a good idea

03400EX_Nacs
11-26-2003, 07:39 PM
well i say you got lucky on that one lol

YZEATER
11-27-2003, 07:06 PM
whenever you clowns have a tire slip on the rim i don't wanna see you crying on here.