PDA

View Full Version : take out rear axle

11-24-2003, 03:28 PM
how do u do this, what all needs to be done

11-24-2003, 06:55 PM
take locknut off....take o ring off axle.....slip axle off.....take the metal lock oring thing off of brake stay...take brake system off...what else am i missing :confused:

JOEX
11-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
...what else am i missing :confused:
Wheels, hubs, chain.....:p

It's not a piece of cake, with the proper tools AND a repair manual it's not overly difficult either.

Joe

Fat Possum
11-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Do yourself a favor and soak the locknut and threads with some liquid wrench overnight, then gently brush any crud or oxidation off the threads with a toothbrush before you begin to keep the fine threads from gunking on you.
Don't forget that SOB locknut is reverse threaded, too.

11-24-2003, 07:39 PM
the previous owner has the locknut stripped. i hope its the nut not the axle.. is it possible to strip the axle or would the nut go first. its a left hand thread right? how much is a new stock locknut? where is a good and cheap place to order parts?

JOEX
11-24-2003, 07:47 PM
The lock nut assembly is a three piece unit, two nuts and a threaded sleeve that they are on. I highly doubt the axle is stripped, the threaded sleeve is splined with the axle. The nuts are left hand threads.

I don't know how much the stock ones are, you can try C&D Racing or Sevice Honda (they have a $8 minimum shipping:rolleyes: )

I recommend an aftermarket lock nut with pinch bolts, about $45. Well worth it IMO. Much easier to work with.

Joe

Ralph
11-24-2003, 08:18 PM
make sure you have sine big monkey wrenches and a good back. It can take alot of force and eaven my young ***** back hurts after a while...