PDA

View Full Version : How do u polish side covers, engine, etc

LynchmobR
11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Hey i was wonderin what dremel tools u guys use to polish side covers, engine, etc.....

I have a 250R and want to polish it all up as i rebulid it and im not sure what to use....

thanks

44oEX
11-24-2003, 12:00 PM
I did it the long way but it turn out good.
I sanded the paint of by hand and then buft it out.

wilkin250r
11-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Polishing is labor intensive.

First, you sand it with 400 grit to remove the paint, and all the surface imperfections, pits, ect...

400 grit leaves pretty deep scratches, so you sand with 600 to remove the deep scratches.

Do the same thing with 800 grit, 1000 grit, and on up to at least 1500 grit, or even to 2000 grit if you can find any.

Don't skip a grit, because you'll end up with three times as much work.

At this point, it should look shiny, but it's certainly not a mirror finish. It's helpful to get a a couple 4 or 6 inch cloth polishing wheels that attach to a drill, as well as a polishing compound. I have two compounds, a "cutting" compound, and a "coloring" compound, although you can get a general "cutting and coloring" compound that has decent results (not quite as good as using two separate compounds)

Get some compound on the wheel, and start polishing. If/when you switch compounds, USE A DIFFERENT WHEEL for the next compound. Clean your part with solvents before you start the next compound. Use a dremel polishing wheel for those tight spots.

If you take your time, you'll have a mirror shine that you cannot distinquish from chrome.

Trust me when I say this, TAKE YOUR TIME. If you rush it, it WILL show in the final project.

ReconRider25
11-24-2003, 07:28 PM
wilkin 250r pretty much summed it up. for the dremel bits just use those white felt ones. but only use them for the small areas. in larger ones polish it by hand so you cant see swirls

stupid driver
11-24-2003, 10:40 PM
in polishing, you get out of it what you put into it. Elbow grease is the best method.

i took paint stripper to my cases, btw i only did the parts that stick out of the cases, to remove all the paint. Then i got very fine grit sandpaper, like 1500 grit up to 3000 or in that area, and sanded until it was extremely smooth. Then, i took mothers billet polish and rubbed that in for a good 10 minutes, dabbing a little bit on at a time. After that was all done, i wiped off the black film, and buffed it out w/ a felt drill attatchment. Worked well.

brandonpeake
11-25-2003, 04:25 PM
will u guys post some pics of your polishing work?

hondafox440
11-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Do you use a palm sander with the sand paper, or just use a small bit with your hand? Is it best to go in circles or a straight back and forth movement?