PDA

View Full Version : Vortex, Dyna, or MSD?

RAPTORAZ
11-24-2003, 09:22 AM
I've got a buddy running an alky 465, and he's looking for an ignition box so he can run more timing. Anyone have or try out any of these ignitions?

pnut420
11-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Since nobody else has answeed I'll try my best.

The Dyna has 4 preprogramed spark curves and 4 different rev limits to choose from. It cost $280, and is like another $180 if you want to buy the programming kit, it allows you to make you own spark curves.

The Vortex is around $380 and comes with 10 different spark curves and 10 different curves.

Here is a thread on it.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81220&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

MarkyNark
11-24-2003, 05:02 PM
MSD have a history of falling apart on quads. Dyna is good, Big Gun is good, Vortex is good. I run the Vortex on my DS and the Big Gun on my EX. I like the flexibility of the Vortex.

hawiianpwr
11-24-2003, 06:22 PM
I have the MSD ignition on mine and its great. For what he has its the best choice in my opinion. MSD has doing this a whole lot longer than any other company I'm sure they know what there doing! I got it mainly for when I do my mods in the future, but just on a stock motor it made alot of difference. Its starts easier, it burn cleaner, has better throttle response, and sounds better.

Heres what all you can do
-Adjustable timing(0-7degrees)
-High speed retard
-Multiple spark up to 3000rpms
-Over 30,000 output volts (stocks around 16,000 volts)
-Adjustable max rpm all the way up to 10,250 rpms
-Adjustable holeshot rev limiter
-You can adjust at what rpm you want the full timing to come in
-Instructions and kit are put together very well and is made so you can go back to stock easily if you wanted
I think thats all.

For the money you can't go wrong. I can't wait till I biuld my motor and see how the whole package works. It ran me $433 for everything

Hope this helps

pnut420
11-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Looks like the Dyna is the best value so far, then if you want to get expensive you can make your own curve. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages, so I guess just pick which one you like

RAPTORAZ
11-24-2003, 07:47 PM
On the dyno, we tried the Dyna box on his EX. And it responded favorably to it. But apparently the Dyna maxes out at an additional 20 degrees of advance. And his EX seemed to want even more than that. How much additional advance does the MSD have?

pnut420
11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
On the dyno, we tried the Dyna box on his EX. And it responded favorably to it. But apparently the Dyna maxes out at an additional 20 degrees of advance. And his EX seemed to want even more than that. How much additional advance does the MSD have?

You can make you own curves with the Dyna, so you could go full advance, the the Vortex has 10 different curves, and one setting is for full advance, I dont know how many more degrees it puts out though.