PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem Bearing Removal?

Hotdog
11-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Guys,

How do you remove the steering stem bearing. I got the manual and i m still not sure. Do you just knock it out for the bottom up?

11-24-2003, 09:17 AM
there is a clip that holds it in place. If your looking at it from the top, remove the top spacer, then I believe you can see the clip inside. Once you remove it you can just knock the bearing out with a hammer..:cool:

jshtex
11-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Yes remove the seal, and the circlip, then it comes out the top.

Pappy
11-25-2003, 08:58 AM
easiest way ive found is to remove the 2 dust seals( be easy on them as they can be re-used along with the bearing)

then remove the c-clip and turn the frame upside down. take a socket that is close to the same size as the outside bearing area and turn the socket upside down. use a long extension inserted thru the upside down socket. a few taps with a hammer and it should pop right out.

if the quad isnt disassembled ....ignore the upside down frame part:eek: ;)

honda400extreme
12-21-2003, 01:00 PM
I took mine off last night b/c i bent it on Friday. I had my four wheeler on the back tires and grab bar straight up when i took out the pin and took out the bolt. My bearing came right out for me. No pounding, knocking, or anything.

GoOn3
12-22-2003, 12:31 PM
I believe you need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the clip.

Hotdog
12-22-2003, 01:17 PM
You can use a set of snap rings. i just used a screw driver sharpened to a point and i worked fine.