PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Port and Polish here???

LynchmobR
11-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Hey
for school im doing a project and im gunna rebuild my R i was wondering if anyone on here could port and polish the engine for me and how much would u charge?

thanks

11-24-2003, 09:04 AM
I can do it....:eek2: I'm sure lots of guys on here can...:eek2: do you want it done professionally or just half arse???

I'd call a couple engine builders if I was you, there's only 30 or so out there that would love to have your business...:cool:

400exdad
11-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Word (actually several) of advice: 2 stroke porting is an art. Don't let just any Tom Dick or Harry cut on your cylinder. Port timing and compression is very much a part of the port shape and height in the cylinder. Go to MacDizzy.com and read about it. Go to him, if you can get him to do it, or a reputable shop.... not the guy down the street. 4 stroke porting is a lot different from 2 stroke porting.

400exdad
11-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Hey Rico.... I checked out your webpage... Houser must have treated you pretty good. I thought I would see somebody drinkin' a Coke in a minute! :D

SHADETREE101
11-24-2003, 09:58 PM
THESE GUYS AREN'T LYING, EVEN AFTER PORTING THE HEADS FOR MY 66 CHEVELLE I THOUGHT I WOULD SURELY BE ABLE TO PORT A SINGLE CYLINDER. IT RAN LIKE CRAP AND BLEW UP DURING BREAK IN. I WAS TOLD I OVER PORTED AND PUT THE ENGINE TO FAR OUT OF TIME WHICH BLEW THE PISTON TO SHREDS.
SO MUCH FOR THE DREMEL TOOL WARRIOR.

PAY SOMEBODY, AND PAY THEM WELL, THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP.

speedy400
11-25-2003, 10:50 AM
I ported my ol' banshee when I was 14 ofcourse after talking to a pro about how and what to port, but really, its not all that hard, I ported my 416 a few months ago, after talking to a few pros. Bolth had great outcomes.-darren

11-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Some people might not realize that the terminology Port is kinda vague.

You can get mild port jobs or play port as some engine builders call it...which range from $40 to $150 or so.

Then you have a full race port which is gonna run you $250 at the lowest.

wilkin250r
11-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Some people might not realize that the terminology Port is kinda vague.

You can get mild port jobs or play port as some engine builders call it...which range from $40 to $150 or so.

Then you have a full race port which is gonna run you $250 at the lowest.

True. The mild porting is also called matched porting, and it just consists of removing the burs and mis-matches between the sleeve and the cylinder wall to decrease the turbulence and get a nice smooth airway.

For a REAL port job, the person doing the porting actually changes the size and shape of the ports to shape the powerband. There is alot of power hidden in the port shapes. However, it has already been pointed out, it is truly and art, I would never recommend doing it yourself. Find somebody good, and pay him well.

UglyMotha™
11-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by SHADETREE101
THESE GUYS AREN'T LYING, EVEN AFTER PORTING THE HEADS FOR MY 66 CHEVELLE I THOUGHT I WOULD SURELY BE ABLE TO PORT A SINGLE CYLINDER. IT RAN LIKE CRAP AND BLEW UP DURING BREAK IN. I WAS TOLD I OVER PORTED AND PUT THE ENGINE TO FAR OUT OF TIME WHICH BLEW THE PISTON TO SHREDS.
SO MUCH FOR THE DREMEL TOOL WARRIOR.

PAY SOMEBODY, AND PAY THEM WELL, THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP.

just out of curiosity did you do your break in on diesel fuel

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=841543

ya really can't knock your motor outta time just by portin it :confused:

2004TRX450R
11-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Actually there are mathmatical formulas for porting a two stroke to make the port mean area , timeing, and height so that it runs best at X rpm. Granted there are some other parts to it like makeing the rest of the ports smooth and what angle to make the tops of the transfers so that it shoots the fuel/air up to the spart plug right. If you want to do some proting you can smooth out all the rough edges and radius the corners to make it flow better to see gains without cutting into the port shapes and dimensions themselves. 4 stroke proting is a bit different as there are no formulas. You just have to make it all smooth so that it flows well. You can also easily over do it if you are not careful and hurt your power if you get the ports to big it will slow the air down to much and it won't fill the cylender very well and won't stay atomized very well. Porting is easy as long as you don't over do it and just clean every thing up. Leave the heavy race porting to the pros though.

airheadedduner
11-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Actually there are mathmatical formulas for porting a two stroke to make the port mean area , timeing, and height so that it runs best at X rpm. Granted there are some other parts to it like makeing the rest of the ports smooth and what angle to make the tops of the transfers so that it shoots the fuel/air up to the spart plug right. If you want to do some proting you can smooth out all the rough edges and radius the corners to make it flow better to see gains without cutting into the port shapes and dimensions themselves. 4 stroke proting is a bit different as there are no formulas. You just have to make it all smooth so that it flows well. You can also easily over do it if you are not careful and hurt your power if you get the ports to big it will slow the air down to much and it won't fill the cylender very well and won't stay atomized very well. Porting is easy as long as you don't over do it and just clean every thing up. Leave the heavy race porting to the pros though.
Not only that but there is also the trasfer port scavenging effect you have to deal with. Screw that up and the bike will hardly run at all. All the ports timings have to be similar. You can't set up the exhaust for a certian duration and have the intake or trasfers set up for another. You also have to take into consideration the pipe you are using. You normally port to pipe. Thats why engine builders recomend you use there pipe, and why the good ones ask what pipe you are using. I was getting into it for a while but when I found out how rediculously difficult it was I decided it would be best to leave it to the pros, their pros for a reason.

03400EX_Nacs
11-26-2003, 11:13 AM
a local shop around here have been sending thiers off to whitebrothers to get them donr but i dunno how much

TRX_Thumper
11-26-2003, 12:17 PM
I just deported mine..Yeap thats right made the ports smaller. If my headgasket comes in 2day itll be running in the morning and will give a full report.

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper
I just deported mine..Yeap thats right made the ports smaller. If my headgasket comes in 2day itll be running in the morning and will give a full report.

please tell me thats a joke.

cals400ex
11-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper

let me know how this works. you know, the smaller the port, the greater the velocity. i don't know anything about the 400ex head, but i know this has worked on some street bikes.

airheadedduner
11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
let me know how this works. you know, the smaller the port, the greater the velocity. i don't know anything about the 400ex head, but i know this has worked on some street bikes.
Depends. Keeping the gases hotter is what gives good velocity. Hotter gas flows better. If you have a decent amount of mods(pipe, piston, ect..) then deporting woudn't help a whole lot. I don't think anyway:confused:

2004TRX450R
11-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Deporting or "microporting" actually works very well for mid range power. You don't do the exhaust ports usually though mainly just the intakes. A guy at my work has done this on several race street bikes with VERY good gains. We saw about an 8hp gain on a CBR600RR. We have done it on a few dirt bikes such as a YZF250. With the head porting and exhaust and I'm not sure what all else but not much we had it makeing as much power as a stock YZF426. Basicly what you do is port the head as usual and flow the head. Then fill in the top and bottoms of the ports until just before it starts to make it flow less. This gets the intake velocity up and makes it fill the cylender better at lowr rpms but doesn't hurt your top end performance. I will be haveing this done on my 450R when I install the Power Up kit.

airheadedduner
11-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Deporting or "microporting" actually works very well for mid range power. You don't do the exhaust ports usually though mainly just the intakes. A guy at my work has done this on several race street bikes with VERY good gains. We saw about an 8hp gain on a CBR600RR. We have done it on a few dirt bikes such as a YZF250. With the head porting and exhaust and I'm not sure what all else but not much we had it makeing as much power as a stock YZF426. Basicly what you do is port the head as usual and flow the head. Then fill in the top and bottoms of the ports until just before it starts to make it flow less. This gets the intake velocity up and makes it fill the cylender better at lowr rpms but doesn't hurt your top end performance. I will be haveing this done on my 450R when I install the Power Up kit.
That makes sense. I would think though that once you start doing other mods that you would want to open up the exhaust at least a touch. It seems to me that you could do so without sacrificing power in anyother range. Stock port size can only flow so much. There has to be some thresh hold at which you can open up the exhaust and not effect intake velocity any. I am having a hard time with words today. I don't think I am conveying what I mean very well:rolleyes: What are you using to fill ports? An aluminum epoxy?

2004TRX450R
11-26-2003, 11:43 PM
Sorry, let me clarify. You don't do the filling in of the exhaust port but you do make it flow better. Usually the actual size of the port isn't the detrmining factor of what it will flow but rather the area around the valve bowl. The area right around the valvee seat and the lower radiaus angles and how the bowl flows into the port. The actual size of the port itself usually doesn't need to much attention other than makeing it smooth.

airheadedduner
11-27-2003, 12:06 AM
So more like reshapeing the port around the valve seat to flow better and prevent cavication(sp?) for better midrange response??

2004TRX450R
11-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Yes you want to clean up all the flashings and sharp edges around the valve seats and guide but that is for all out flow. You only fill in the top and bottom of the ports through the port and not really in the valve bowl itself.

cals400ex
11-27-2003, 01:44 PM
here is an intake porting article. i know it doesn't apply to atv's, but it does apply to bikes.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fast.htm

TRX_Thumper
11-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Yeap i done mine according to mototune..i had a je 11:1 426 piston with hotcams stage 2..k&n filter stock exhaust..now ive done this porting and i have lots of low end and midrange and a little extra on top im satisfied

cals400ex
11-27-2003, 07:00 PM
did you do the head and add nothing else to the bike at the time?? basically, did you notice power from just the porting and no other mods? you also gained a little top end??

TRX_Thumper
11-27-2003, 08:29 PM
yeah i did just the porting and gained power all the way around

Jpoutlaw250R
11-27-2003, 09:01 PM
I am sorry but I missed it I think but what are you filling the ports with? Thanks

2004TRX450R
11-28-2003, 02:34 AM
You can either fill them in by welding them or with a high strenght epoxy such as JB weld. The guy at my work has been mostly useing JB weld. If you try it in the exhaust ports you will need to weld it though as the epoxy won't hold up to the high temps of the exhaust.