PDA

View Full Version : 400ex air filter came off.

Moded86R
11-24-2003, 01:15 AM
The other day I was jumping my 400ex pretty high.(7-8 foot depending on how hard I hit)I was landing flat.

Anyway my bike died and wouldn't restart.I pulled it up to my basement to check the spark.It had it.So I decided to see if something was messed up with the carb.When I took the seat off I noticed that the airfilter was off.I had been running without a lid.(I don't normally do this)I know that filter was on there tightly.I had just cleaned it a few nights before.

Is this a problem on 400's?And why did it die?It took probably 3 minutes for it to start again and then it ran fine.I cranked it over 4 or 5 different times in that 3 minutes.

zfire_28
11-24-2003, 01:49 AM
I use a little vaseline when I put mine on to keep a better seal, and tighten it down real good, and mine has never fallen off in 3 years.

4TraxRider
11-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Not having the lid won't have an effect on the filter falling off. The only thign that could have caused that is that it wasn't tightened enough or somthing was between the lip and the airbox flange so when you tightened it down there was a false sense of being tight. It may have died from getting water and or dirt in the carb, then after being cranked over passed it though, or the filter could have wedged itself in the boot opening so that it prevented airflow and choked the engine out.

j37
11-24-2003, 10:22 PM
On my 400ex I have a UNI airfilter and sometimes if I tighten it down too tight it pushes the inner piece out and then the filter doesnt stay on but luckily its only come off once when I was riding it which still isnt good. Now when I put it in I push the inner piece in as hard as I can and tighten it down at the same time and it seems to hold well.

250exlogan
11-25-2003, 06:37 PM
my K&N fell of all the time and i just said "HELL WITH IT" and put my stock on then went in the house and ordered a UNI and the UNI hasnt ever fallen off ever :):):):):):):)