PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do.....?

02-12-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey, I ride a stock 300ex and I was looking into scoring aftermarket parts. Please help me out be answering all the typical novice questions, like what should I get first, and why all that junk. All the help I can get would be real helpful. Oh, please be realistic budget wise, I only have like $500 (or less) saved for this occasion.

NJ300ex
02-12-2002, 06:37 PM
First get new handlebars to get rid of the ugly plastic thing. You can buy a 87 250X ignition holder for the ignition or drill a hole in the plastic. Then get skidplates if you trail ride. I would then get tires. Tires are the best handling improvement you can make. especially rear tires. If you want motor mods I would go with some holes in the airbox and get a 350x airtube. These mods should make your quad handle better and have alittle more power.

MichaelS693
02-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I aint a genius or anything but man get real (no need to flame) I mean here is just my $.02

1. Pipe(whatever kind u like)
2.K&N Filter
3.Jetting (of course)
4.Piston
5. whatever else u want

but see i am more into drag racing might not do as well for some of you MXers

400exdad
02-12-2002, 07:18 PM
If you ride in the woods, get a skid plate first. Protect that rotor! Next, get some holeshot or like tires for the back. 20" tall. That will help it rail the corners alot better. Then a pipe if you want to make some noise.

yellowrider
02-12-2002, 07:43 PM
First get new handlebars to get rid of the ugly plastic thing. You can buy a 87 250X ignition holder for the ignition or drill a hole in the plastic. Then get skidplates if you trail ride. I would then get tires. Tires are the best handling improvement you can make. especially rear tires. If you want motor mods I would go with some holes in the airbox and get a 350x airtube. These mods should make your quad handle better and have alittle more power.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
get used to the plastic it would be a waste of money if you changed it it dont help nothing out screw the rental bars thats 80 dollars that could go into something useful.
dont get th 350x air tube... get a after market air filter if i were you i would get uni but i already have kn so that is what i am stinking with but have no series promblems out of it.
get a pipe i would not get another disk piipe again but if you are looking for a disk pipe i would get wb
get some nerfs their been some times when i wish i had them and a stick bent my foot ...
get some hand guards .. which i might be doing soon..
and if its new get a bigger bumper that looks half way desent and use it to ram trees that is in your way ..without hurting your plastic to much...
you might want to get some all traks they are very good on wet slippery hills or lose dirt hills.. just a good all around tire.. or maybe the 400ex stock tires they are really good and i like them more than the all traks. just remember the lighter the tire you have the more power you can get to the ground..

and if you add a tooth on front you gain speed
if you subtract you lose speed but gain power\

on the back you have more teeth more bottom end you have
you subtract you have more top speed

sorry i wrote alot but i was bored

NJ300ex
02-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Why would you not get the 350x airboot. It costs less than an air filter and will put more air in the engine than an air filter. He said he was ona budget. If handlebars are a waste then why does pretty much everyone have them?

yellowrider
02-13-2002, 03:50 AM
what is wrong with the stock handle bars..?

you sound like a little kid... "If handlebars are a waste then why does pretty much everyone have them?"

cause they could have fliped it bent the other ones.. or maybe didnt have enough room..

i just seen a report somewhere on the 350x air tube and it didnt look very pleasant... it mught have been on atv connection. i dont know.

i also said for him to get a uni cause i think they are better than kn and i think will stop more dirt.

Mr. 300 just use common sense if you dont need it DONT BUY IT dont get something just because it looks pretty. get something that u can use something that can help you out on trails

take it eaasy

Poncho
02-13-2002, 05:40 AM
Yellowrider, renthal handlebars are one of the best things you can put on your quad.You must not ride very hard or you would have already bent yours.;)

just my $02. cents

Red Rooster
02-13-2002, 05:56 AM
1.Fmf power core 4 s/a exhaust $260
2.Uni foam air filter $22
3.Jets $10
4.2 NGK dr8esl sparkplugs for dialing in the jetting. $5
=$297 If you jet correctly you will be amazed at the power! Oh yeah drill some holes in the air box lid

Scott
02-13-2002, 06:12 AM
Without getting into bickering, I'll tell you what I've done to my 300ex and why.

First I got a set of rental bars from a friend and put them on. I didn't like the stock bars, wasn't comfortable for me. I also didn't like that plastic piece over the bars. I also hated the thumb throttle, so I put on a twist.

Eliminate the parking brake cable. Spend the $12 for a block off plate, it's better than $30 for brake pads.

I also did away with the reverse button/cable on the clutch lever assembly. There's a section on how to do that on the EX Tech page of this site. It simplifies getting into reverse. Since you've gotten rid of the extra cables on the clutch assembly, simplify things by swapping the perch and lever for a CR perch/lever or something. Probably have $30 invested unless you decide to spend more.

Next I swapped the factory rear tires for a set of holeshots. Luckily I found someone that bought a set of 22" and didn't like them. I paid him $50, got the 22s and he got 20s.

Next up, a new air filter. I like K&N and Uni both. Either one is better than a stock filter. Either one will run about $30.

None of the performance mods will do you much good if the quad is busted up, and as a new rider, you can bet you're going to hit stuff. So bolt on some protection for your ride. I got some aluminum and made a full length skid for mine. You can save some money by going with the aftermarket plastic full length skids. I think nerfs are a MUST HAVE. I wouldn't want to ride without them. DG or AC are the cheapest. Next I bought a-arm guards for $30 (used). You can survive with the factory front bumper until you mangle it, then go to something better like a PRM Baja, AC, DG, or whatever...

If you ride a lot of big rocks, creek beds, or other rough areas, a swingarm skid is a wise investment. AC, DG, probably about the cheapest. I have a friend that makes stainless steel skids for $125.

Four Stroke Tech has a larger headpipe that will fit the factory muffler. Get it and pull the baffle out of the muffler. The head pipe is pretty tiny on a 300. On a 400, warrior, wolverine, you can get a new silencer without changing the headpipe, the 300 ALWAYS comes with a bigger headpipe. Better flow=better power. Or you could look for a used system on here.

That's about as cheap as I could get things done for you! Good luck and keep checking the classifieds on here for good deals.

NJ300ex
02-13-2002, 01:59 PM
I didn't want to do this but yellowrider is flaming me. You are calling me a little kid. It must make a little boy like yourself feel real tuff. Only a little kid would start flaming me becuase I gave you some advice you didn't like in another post. I am trying to help a fellow member. I am not trying to fight with you.

02-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions... knock off the bickering you two (you know who). My one question is for scott. How in the world to you take out the baffle (and what is it?)?

MichaelS693
02-13-2002, 05:33 PM
its another word for spark arrestor (right?) it is is the muffler

02-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Ok, but exactly which part of the spark arrestor. Is it the very back? And if it is how the heck am I supposed to cut that off? And no body has said anything about new front shocks... (Probably cause we're in the powertrain forum but ohwell) I assume these will help handling (correct me if I'm wrong:)) Are shocks a good investment and if so what should I get?

Later:huh

yellowrider
02-13-2002, 07:54 PM
i was flameing sorry !!

it is just i dont see the need it is just when you siad something like all the other riders are getting the new bars..... that was a little childesh dont you think ???

i am comfy on the stock handle bars so thats why i think stock bars are ok ....

sorry dude no flame intended .. i was trying to help out to so the guy could save some money

oh someone said i would have already bent my handle bars it i ride rough well i ride really rough but..! i save the quad and i usally get hurt .. i know one of these days i am going to wish i would have just jumped off and not try to save it but i wont never learn till i get hurt badly enough...

yes shocks are good if you have the money
get works i heard alot of good things about them

you may want some wheel spacers also ....

only thing i hate about the 300ex is the head lights you might want to loose that and though on some fog lights under you plastic ... i have seen that before and rode one like that at night and i can see better on it than i can on mine and it looks really sweet.

Scott
02-14-2002, 06:09 AM
Mr 300M: Shocks are definitely a good investment, but you said you wanted to stay under $500 total. The cheapest shocks (Works) will run about $350 for ust the fronts. I would rather upgrade my suspension than rebuild a perfectly good engine just to go faster. The shocks make a world of difference from the other bikes I've ridden and ride with.

What I was talking about in the exhaust is, stand behind the bike, look at the bottom side of the 300 silencer/muffler. You'll see a small "bracket" about an inch or so long bolted on (can't remember if it's one bolt or two without looking at mine). Remove the bolt. Now from directly behind the machine, remove the center of the muffler. There will be 1 or 2 very small tac welds around the edge of that center section. They will pop easily with either a chisel or even a screwdriver. I took a pair of vise grips, clipped them on and twisted as I pulled. Comes right out. Used to be the normal trick for old dirtbikes.

Live2Ride300
02-14-2002, 06:05 PM
After removing that, is it alot louder??
How much does the larger headpipe from FST go for?

thanks in advance

02-14-2002, 09:55 PM
:rolleyes: isn't:rolleyes:this :rolleyes:really :rolleyes:really :rolleyes:fun?? :rolleyes:

So anyway... I've decided that firstly I am going to score some new bars for my bike. You all sound absolutely emphatic about these Renthals. Plus my right bar is beginning to sag. To all of you who own some Renthals: are there different models and shapes or is there just a generic '300ex' bar.

Scott... Would removing the baffle do anything if I did it before buying a new header? Also, I checked out FST's Site and didn't see anything for headers so where can I jack... errr:D ... buy one of those. And a suggestion for you: If pulling the baffle does add power, make it sound cooler, or both, you should grab the nearest camera and do a "EX Tech" Article on it. LOTS of photos 'cause this sound a might bit confusing. Anyway upon your response I'll probably pull the baffle.

Thanks to you guys and a local friend I have already ordered a set of DG Alloy Nerf Bars! I got my foot stuck in my tire before and didn't know what to do until now. (Hey, this means I can change my signiture :) ) While I'm in that section of my quad: I bent the footpeg... WHAT TO DO... WHAT TO DO?

Sorry for taking so damn long

Scott
02-15-2002, 06:07 AM
email FST with the question about the pipe and he'll get back with you pretty quick. As for the baffle, probably not a bad idea for the ex tech. You'll see more of a gain from the new headpipe than you will the baffle. You're not going to see a massive change from removing the baffle, either in noise or power, but every little bit helps, right?

As for the footpeg, if you try to get a new one, get your wallet ready. If it were me, I'd try a salvage yard. I know there are some links on the exriders links page that deal in both new and used parts. A place that I have used with some success is outside Parkersburg WV, called Lemon Barretts. Phone number is 1 (800) 648-5306. I see you say you're in Washington, if that's the state (like I think it is) there's definitely places closer to you. If it's D.C., Barretts wouldn't be too bad for you. Another option would be to post in the classifieds that you need a peg for a 300ex and see if one of the guys on here has one they'd sell. Don't see them listed for sale very often, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't have a spare on their workbench.

02-15-2002, 10:14 PM
But I have heard from a couple different people that their footpegs have bent. Along with that my unbent peg is starting to bend so I don't really trust the stock ones. Do you know of anyone that makes after market pegs

phatswinn
02-16-2002, 01:08 PM
roll design makes some real pretty good lookin ones but ther gunna cost ya like 90 bucks

02-17-2002, 06:31 PM
That's awesome:huh! Except for the fact that it is going to cost me that much. Are these new pegs stronger then the original pegs? If they are, do you know if they're compatible with the DG Nerfs I have?

Scott
02-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Better check that price... I was pretty sure the ROll design pegs were over $200. That was why B&M was selling them for like $125 or $150.

I haven't bent my pegs, and neither have any of my friends, but we don't ride MX and jump.