PDA

View Full Version : wave rotor vs. vented

One_Bad_400
11-23-2003, 05:38 PM
is a wave rotor really that much better than just a vented one?

I need a new one and if it really makes a difference then I'll spend the extra money, but if it doesn't I don't want to waste it.....

I was looking at these four @ rockymountain...

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0003598280

Guy400
11-23-2003, 06:15 PM
I can tell you this (a sort of indirect answer to your question). The CDale Moto I rode with Wav-loc rotors stopped a WHOLE bunch better than my Cannibal or 400EX (both with drilled rotors). I wouldn't chalk all that up to the wave rotors, though, since the Moto came with stainless steel brake lines all the way around.

K_Fulk
11-23-2003, 06:17 PM
That just takes you to the homepage.
But rad has some for $80.

NacsMXer
11-23-2003, 06:19 PM
I dont have the wave rotors myself but if you think about it you can figure it out for yourself. Brake pads are what stops your quad, not the rotors. The rotors are what the pads clamp to and can be used to the advantage to dissipate heat. This is why we already have the cross-drilled rotors. A regular drilled rotor is circular the entire way around, the wave has that unique cauliflower shape to it. With the wave rotors, there is less metal from the rotor contacting the the pads at any given time because it has the cut outs that give it its shape. They also have longer slots cut out of them rather than drilled holes I believe. If your stock ones are getting too hot and cant handle the heat, then the wave rotors may help you out. Like I said, I dont have them, so I dont know how much they would help out, but in theory they have to cool down better than stock ones. They also look super trick too. Its all up to you and the prices I guess. I race hard MX with my stock rotors and they have never failed me. Im going to get the wave rotors when I bend my stock ones, because I always like to do things right the second time.

One_Bad_400
11-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
That just takes you to the homepage.
But rad has some for $80.

where can I buy that on the internet?

K_Fulk
11-23-2003, 07:13 PM
I got mine on ebay, maybe c&d sells them too.

One_Bad_400
11-23-2003, 08:18 PM
didn't see it on C&D...checking other sites....

anybody know where I can buy them?

One_Bad_400
11-23-2003, 08:29 PM
might get this one.......anybody got any input?

http://www.magicracing.com/myProducts.cfm?CFID=682841&CFTOKEN=3398396&CategoryID=174|Rear%20Brake%20Rotors&filterFor=&startrow=6

11-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I dont have the wave rotors myself but if you think about it you can figure it out for yourself. Brake pads are what stops your quad, not the rotors.

cool, im gonan take my rotors off tomorrow see how it goes, should be faster without the excess weight

i thought about it like you said

j37
11-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Lmao.

Ill probably get wave rotors when I get new ones. Or maybe not if the brake pads are what really stops it. Think about it when its muddy out. The vented ones holes just get filled with mud and then they dont work the way they did without the mud. Well at least for me sometimes.

pnut420
11-23-2003, 11:13 PM
If you are after good braking with little fade, you have to upgrade to stainless stell lines, pads help also, but the lines will do the most. ;)

11-23-2003, 11:34 PM
the gafler are nice, I also saw a set of BRAKING rotors, they look pretty good too.

I just installed the braking rotors on my buddies brand new walsh and i htought they were nice.

F-16Guy
11-24-2003, 07:30 AM
I like my RAD rotor. It works good, looks good, and it's cheap.

UglyMotha™
11-24-2003, 07:44 AM
i have wave rotors do i think there worth the extra cash "not really" they are good though no complaints of any brake failure i just think there are many others out there that are very comparable but cost less, also the wave rotor loves to eat brake pads so plan on buy stock in them

Derno24
11-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
didn't see it on C&D...checking other sites....

anybody know where I can buy them?

C&D sells Galfer, Rad, and others. I just got a Rad carrier from them and I got Galfer Rotors for the Dale through them. One other things the waves do is keep debris from build up. I had regular rotors on my dale and after a harescramble they would be packed with mud around the center. The new wave ones and everyhting was clear.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-24-2003, 09:24 AM
We carry rad, galfer, breaking, OEM, moose, vesrah, DP.