PDA

View Full Version : 425EX knocking? Timing chain or Timing chain adjuster?

RedRacer44
11-23-2003, 03:07 PM
My buddy has a 425EX with a stage 2 Hot Cam that just of late has started to have a knock. It doesnt make the "knocking sound" in neutral when you are reving it up. It only makes the sound when you are in gear and moving w/ the motor reved out. It also only knocks when you're in the mid range rpms but when when ya get to higher RPMs it stops knocking. Any ideas to what it might be? I was thinking maybe timing chain/timing chain adjuster might be loose?? Any help or comments would be appreciated!

Chance

Werx615
11-23-2003, 06:40 PM
pull the cam chain tensioner out an make sure it still has sum spring in it

cals400ex
11-23-2003, 10:30 PM
possibly you could retorque the head studs.

a1965gt
11-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Sounds similar to the problem I was having. Mine was more like a clacking sound, seemed to be coming from the case, could only hear it when under heavy accleration.
Im 90% sure my problem is a blown head gasket. Im waiting for my FDO studs to come in before I fix it but I did retorque the head and it helped.
Check all around the head gasket for gas/oil leaks, also try riding it at night and looking for sparks. Thats how I found my first blown head gasket, had sparks and light flames shooting out the side of the motor!!!!:eek2: