PDA

View Full Version : Taking apart a 400 diffuculty to get pc'd?

exrider123
11-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Didn't know where this belonged but this winter I am hoping to tear my 400 down to send some stuff off to pappy to get pc'd. My question is though how hard is it to tear it down to the frame so I can get that pc'd also and then put everything back together the right way?

K_Fulk
11-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Its not that hard unless your pivot bolt is froze. Just takes some time. But after you do it seems like you get faster at it.

brandonpeake
11-25-2003, 04:23 PM
is there anything that cannot be taken out with simple tools, so does anything have to be pressed out?
how about where the steering stem connects to the frame is it difficult to rmemove

does it have to be down t othe bare metal to powdercoat, i ve heard yes and no

Live2Ride300
11-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Get yourself a good manual and go at it

brandonpeake
11-25-2003, 04:38 PM
i got a honda shop manual
about how long does it take to tka eone done to ge tthe frame pc'd

11-25-2003, 05:10 PM
If you have an impact wrench it's pretty quick. I didn't have one just good ole ratchet and what not. I'd say i had it down to pullin the motor out in about 6 hours. Puttin it back together if you plan on cleaning every part, greasing, polishing, etc, etc, will take a week or 2...:eek2:

Mines tore down so i can get to the motor to put in a timing chain and pull the head off to have it ported. I'm highly thinkin about tearin mine down and given it a full make over like I did last year...:eek2:

Doibugu2
11-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Rico
If you have an impact wrench it's pretty quick. I didn't have one just good ole ratchet and what not. I'd say i had it down to pullin the motor out in about 6 hours. Puttin it back together if you plan on cleaning every part, greasing, polishing, etc, etc, will take a week or 2...:eek2:

Mines tore down so i can get to the motor to put in a timing chain and pull the head off to have it ported. I'm highly thinkin about tearin mine down and given it a full make over like I did last year...:eek2:

How bout you send me your frame, and I'll send mine to Pappy so you can get it rePc'd (is that a word)

exrider123
11-25-2003, 05:21 PM
sweet! thanks for the replys I've got clymers and an impact wrench. So I'm stoked about gettin black maier plastics for christmas and then sending my frame off to pappy Im still tryin to decide what color to get it done. Does anybody have any suggestions or better yet pics.

03400EX_Nacs
11-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Rico nice fourwheeler what brand of swing are is that?

K_Fulk
11-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
is there anything that cannot be taken out with simple tools, so does anything have to be pressed out?
how about where the steering stem connects to the frame is it difficult to rmemove

does it have to be down t othe bare metal to powdercoat, i ve heard yes and no

The Stem part is easy. All you need is snap ring pliers to get the sterring stem bushing out.

As for being bare metal, If its still the stock paint get it to bare metal, If its powder you dont have too.

Since im puting my other motor in this winter, im just going to get my frame gusseted and powdercoatyed again while im at it

jarred15801
11-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 03400EX_Nacs
Rico nice fourwheeler what brand of swing are is that?

i believe it says houser on it but cant really tell

Woodsrider
11-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Zip loc bags and a permanent marker can be really helpfull if you think the task is too overwhelming. Just put all the nuts and bolts in bags and lable them.

Hey rico that frame still looks pretty good. You must not ride too close to the frame with your boots.

Pappy
11-26-2003, 05:47 AM
soggy...rico rides his quad with his feet on the nerf bars i think:p

the frame...eother pc'd or factory paint should be taken to bare metal for the best outcome.

take your time and remove everything off the frame and like suggested...a few marked bags can help a first timer a ton.

11-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider

Hey rico that frame still looks pretty good. You must not ride too close to the frame with your boots.

Well when that pic was taken the quad had not even been rode since it got the PC on the frame. But as pappy mentioned I ride the mofo with my feet about 6 inches out on each side of the frame...:huh Lots of people have said it's funnier than chit to ride behind me cuz my legs are stickin out so far to the sides...:p

speedy400
11-26-2003, 10:59 AM
yeah it's not all that hard, get a bunch of ziplock small bagys and a perminant marker and put all the bolts for seperate things in seperate bags, the electrical stuff was the hardest but it was easy because I labled where everything went, its not hard. Also if you have a digital camara after you get the plastic off take pics of anything you think would be tough.-darren

luvmyex
11-26-2003, 12:53 PM
The plastic bags worked good for me too.Also if you have a camera take close up pics of anything you think may be hard to remember how it goes back togeather.Like wires and such.I was really supprized at how few parts there actually was to get it to the frame.

DEAL
11-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Not hard at all.
Like everyone else said, zip lock bags and marker.
I'm doing a major rebuild this winter, I already have a pretty high bill for all my motor work and such I got done.
Lets just say its gonna be fast ;)

derekhonda
11-27-2003, 09:21 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/html400exrebuild2.html