PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Extreme Mods

MarkyNark
11-22-2003, 02:26 PM
I had some money to promote some cool parts and this is what just got installed:

440Kit with 13:1 compression piston
Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor
Big Gun CDI
Ported Head
LTE Dual Exhaust with custom billet downspouts

All those parts ended up being just over a thousand and labor about the same. I picked it up yesterday at my mechanics and my GOD! - It felt like a Raptor!

I'll have to post some pics of everything when I get her cleaned up.

ReconRider25
11-22-2003, 04:33 PM
cool:macho lets see those pics!

11-22-2003, 06:32 PM
felt like a raptor? hope to god it didnt handle like one? is it real tipsy? lol...j/k :blah:

DaveEX7
11-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by MarkyNark
I had some money to promote some cool parts and this is what just got installed:

Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor
Big Gun CDI
Ported Head
LTE Dual Exhaust with custom billet downspouts

All those parts ended up being just over a thousand and labor about the same. I picked it up yesterday at my mechanics and my GOD! - It felt like a Raptor!

I'll have to post some pics of everything when I get her cleaned up.

Should get a cam next.

DaveEX7
11-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
felt like a raptor? hope to god it didnt handle like one? is it real tipsy? lol...j/k :blah:

If it felt like a Raptor, it musta fell apart as soon as you took it around the yard... pieces of junk.

MarkyNark
11-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by DaveEX7
Should get a cam next.

Cams: Already got...

Web Cam 479 Grind: Specifications: Lift = .378, Duration = 274 Degrees and Valve spring kit. Also shortened valve guides.

DaveEX7
11-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Cams: Already got...

Web Cam 479 Grind: Specifications: Lift = .378, Duration = 274 Degrees and Valve spring kit. Also shortened valve guides.

OK, you're good then.;)

Chanman420q
11-22-2003, 08:39 PM
so with all those modifications it only felt like a raptor... damn usualy it only takes a high compession piston and cam to beat a rappy.

MarkyNark
11-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Well it sure as hell didn't pull nearly as good as my DS (63 rwhp). So, I would say yes, it pulled like a Rappy 660R or maybe a Raptor 686 with a stock pipe. I would use a 650EX example, but they don't make one. :eek2:

Got Sand?

11-23-2003, 12:53 PM
I'd check into a heavier rod...:cool:

Get some pics of this beast...:D

Colby@C&DRacing
11-23-2003, 12:58 PM
I agree I would of got the bigger rod with that piston:eek:

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 01:09 PM
http://www.on-dunes.com/cw2/assets/product_thumb/DSCN0646.jpg http://www.on-dunes.com/cw2/assets/product_full/DSCN0649.jpg
http://www.on-dunes.com/cw2/assets/product_full/BattBox.jpg

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I'd check into a heavier rod...:cool:

Get some pics of this beast...:D

I looked into getting a beefier rod, but after talking with a lot of folks with 440 kits, and my experience with the 14:1 piston in the DS, I decided to waive that for now. Over 440 with that compression I would have. Im 14:1 in my DS and everyone thought I would have rod problems - 6 months and no problem yet.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-23-2003, 01:18 PM
The rotax motor has a lot heavy rod in it than the 400ex does. Cool pipes:)

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The rotax motor has a lot heavy rod in it than the 400ex does. Cool pipes:)

Like I said, after talking with several race mechanics, we think the rod is fine. I understand that it would have been safer to throw in a beefier rod, but, because I sell these kits, I'm willing to take the risk to find out if it really needs it. I hate selling a customer something they dont need. In some of the other forums, guys that sell headbolts said I needed those. Guys that sell tranny parts said I needed those too. I think I'll be ok.

Chef
11-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Hows it sound?

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 01:50 PM
It sounds awesome. There is something about the separation with dual exhaust that really makes it sound good. Im sure its at least 100 DB at 3000 RPM. If I was running the discs, I could bring it down to 98db. But the flow of the downspout tips was much greater and I couldn't pass that up. I still have the discs, so I can always swap the tips out if I need to.

MITrail400EX
11-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Bummer, I was seriously considering getting the LTE system, but with the amount of time I spend up at Silver Lake (granted, NEVER been sound checked) not to mention, I ride in the area and my neighbors are already mad at 92dB. Wow, that was a run-on. I guess running at around 100dB isn't too bad considering a Big Gun system runs at around 105-108 if I'm not mistaken. Mark, by the way, I bought a UPP flag holder from you earlier this year and it's sweet. Thanks for the deal.

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 04:48 PM
If you run the 6 disc end (which is what it comes with) you'll be 92-93 DB and spark arrester legal. However, the gains are only 3 HP over stock. Just something to think about. Like I mentioned, I wasn't as concerned about my downspout ends because I knew I could switch back if I needed. Although, my jetting wouldnt be perfect if I did. Its a good thing the Edlebrock is easy to adjust.

BTW - thanks. I just got the new site up after taking it down for 30 days to upgrade to new software.

Marky

RAPTORAZ
11-24-2003, 09:15 AM

Sounds like all you need now is an Alky conversion.:scary:

RAPTORAZ
11-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DaveEX7
If it felt like a Raptor, it musta fell apart as soon as you took it around the yard... pieces of junk.

Mine's been stone reliable since day one. No broken anything. Even now as a 727, it's been perfect. And I've owned it since new. January of 2000.

DaveEX7
11-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
Mine's been stone reliable since day one. No broken anything. Even now as a 727, it's been perfect. And I've owned it since new. January of 2000.

Well...... I saw pics of Raptors after they rolled down some not to big hills, they were totaled.

pnut420
11-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Like I said, after talking with several race mechanics, we think the rod is fine. I understand that it would have been safer to throw in a beefier rod, but, because I sell these kits, I'm willing to take the risk to find out if it really needs it. I hate selling a customer something they dont need. In some of the other forums, guys that sell headbolts said I needed those. Guys that sell tranny parts said I needed those too. I think I'll be ok.

Ive talked to people who have had 416's with 13:1 and it didnt work out, they were constantly blowing head gaskets, not only do you need the stronger rod, but you need the bigger studs as well. Im not trying to pick a fight, but dont want others being mislead. If you sell these kits and dont recommend bigger rods and studs it could come back to haunt you.

MarkyNark
11-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Ive talked to people who have had 416's with 13:1 and it didnt work out, they were constantly blowing head gaskets, not only do you need the stronger rod, but you need the bigger studs as well. Im not trying to pick a fight, but dont want others being mislead. If you sell these kits and dont recommend bigger rods and studs it could come back to haunt you.

Not really, because I don't sell all the items as a kit. If I did, then you'd be right. Right now, there is NO ONE that sells 440 true kits. What we do have are a lot of engineers, and race mechanics that help all of us make decisions on what we need, each and every one of us. I made my decision on what I needed based on my quad. Others need to make thier decision on what they need based on thier quad.

If you want to spend a lot of money, you can replace the whole motor and then maybe you'd be safe. I think its better to consider all the parts and decide for yourself.

PS - I do have the performance headgasket for the 440

pnut420
11-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Not really, because I don't sell all the items as a kit. If I did, then you'd be right. Right now, there is NO ONE that sells 440 true kits. What we do have are a lot of engineers, and race mechanics that help all of us make decisions on what we need, each and every one of us. I made my decision on what I needed based on my quad. Others need to make thier decision on what they need based on thier quad.

If you want to spend a lot of money, you can replace the whole motor and then maybe you'd be safe. I think its better to consider all the parts and decide for yourself.

PS - I do have the performance headgasket for the 440

Sweet, let me know how it works out, I want to have a spare motor with 13:1, I think Im going to wait and save some $ and do bigger studs and stronger rod to be safe.

shamisc
11-25-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ

Huh?:confused: How'jew get a 2001 Raptor in Jan 2000??:huh

RAPTORAZ
11-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
Huh?:confused: How'jew get a 2001 Raptor in Jan 2000??:huh

Oops. My bad. My fingers are sometimes faster than my brain. I got it January of 2001.