PDA

View Full Version : dumb girl question.....

BIGLIZ34
11-22-2003, 02:04 PM
how do i change my spark plug? i guess i got a little happy hosing the quad down the last time out cuz now i got no spark. i am supposed to go riding tom so this really sucks.
is a 2003 400ex.

please help me out !!!

Bill Fuller
11-22-2003, 02:26 PM
How do you know you have no spark?The only way to check is to remove the plug.Remove the yellow boot from the plug and use the stock Honda spark plug tool.It is very straight forward...remove the old plug and screw in the new one.Be careful not to cross thread the plug,if it has any resistance try again,you should know when you got it.Make sure no dirt falls down in the hole also,some people say it is easiest to stand the quad up on the grab bar.I would also recommend adding some Dielectric grease to the inside of the spark plug boot.Hope this helps.

Bill Fuller
11-22-2003, 02:35 PM
P.S. do not over tighten the new plug.

BIGLIZ34
11-22-2003, 07:26 PM
thanks alot for your help. one other thing is i don't think i ever got the spark plug tool. its not in my kit. ( what does it look like just to make sure?) i know if it's not in the kit i didnt get it. i always add a thing or two to my little kit...fuse, zip ties. i have never had to do much tinkering cuz my quads have always been new and but eventually i will be able to take it alll apart and put it back together again.

JOEX
11-22-2003, 09:44 PM
I use an 18mm deep well socket with the short extention. Works for me:)

Joe

4TraxRider
11-24-2003, 12:14 PM
The spark plug tool is gold and has a hex head on either side that are different sizes and is about 4 inches long, and has holes on the side.

sparks400
11-27-2003, 05:07 PM
like bull fuller said dont cross thread it like i did, and if it is hard almost as soon as u start tighting, back it out and try again.

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Be sure that you blow out with air around the spark plug before you take it out that will keep any dirt, mud or water from getting in the cyclinder..... if you do not have air and can get it started at least let it dry out..... you could even use a vacume with a small hose to suck anything out before you remove the plug....

BIGLIZ34
11-29-2003, 09:56 AM
well boys....finally made the time to fix the spark plug issue....got the quad up on the bar all by myself :muscle:
was fiddling to take the spark plug out...and my cousin shows up. where was he for the last week when i was crying? but anyway...he took it out and cleaned it up for me and then i proceeded to wake up all the neighbors and rip it around the block once or twice. :D thanks for all the help guys...i think i was on the way to doing it by myself with all the tips....at least it was a learning experience

Bill Fuller
11-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Did you replace the plug with a new one?If you just "cleaned up" the old one it will need to be replaced soon.Now you know what to do.Did he show you how to check for spark?If not next time you have this problem remove the spark plug and reattach the yellow spark plug wire and hold the spark plug(metal end with the gap) to the head and crank the motor over while looking at the gap to see a strong blue arch.Don't worry you wont get shocked.By the way don't forget to apply Dielectic grease to the inside of the yellow spark plug boot,the will keep water out of the inside(reccommended for all electrical connections on your ATV).