PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like the 450r Got It's First Win

DMH
11-22-2003, 02:52 AM
John Gregory takes the overall, Quad win on a new, Honda TRX450R.

http://www.off-road.com/race/2003score/baja1000/index.html

Guy400
11-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Stock frame and revalved shocks wins Baja:huh

:muscle: :bandit:

87250r88
11-22-2003, 06:07 AM
That is pretty impressive winning the first time out and on stock bodied shocks. Man that thing just looks fast. Cant wait to get on one.
Now it is going to seem like an eternity until it is released on December 8th.

kwatts400
11-22-2003, 06:13 AM
And everyone was saying that there was no way the shocks could be as good as the yammi's w/ an inch less travel!

Wingnut
11-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Don't forget that it also had stock a-arms, swingarm, and tie rods. Who ever said that it had revalved shocks?

HondaATC500X
11-22-2003, 08:51 AM
I'll admit that as a TRX250R owner I was a little concerned about maybe how good the 450R really is....but this race just proved to me that theres absolutely no doubt this will be an awesome bike when its released.

VIC
11-22-2003, 09:18 AM
First and fourth overall in its class, pretty good. And to boot they beat the past 2 year winner of the 1000 who came in 2nd.

300XFST4602
11-22-2003, 09:53 AM
This is awsome. I knew the Honda 45R was going to perfrom well at the Baja 1000, awsome bike it will be when it comes out. I had no dought at any time that the 450R was going to be a awsome performer. Ryan

2000ex
11-22-2003, 10:43 AM
wow, big surprise considering it is such an inferior machine on paper to the YFZ :rolleyes: They did what Honda does best.....win races. Did you guys expect anything different??? ;)

r450rr
11-22-2003, 02:14 PM
well there is no douting it now,,
it had good riders but it also performed...

good enough for me now i just cant wait until they call me and tell me to come get mine

r450rr
11-22-2003, 05:09 PM
does anyone have anyclue about what kind of speed the r was running duriing the baja... and was the yfz in the race....

what kinds of atv's was in the race against the 450r

twisted threads
11-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Thats awsome that the 450r won in its first race of the year and being the BAJA 1000 is just a HUGE bonus!!!:blah: :macho

rob-u/21
11-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Team Honda 12a ridden by John Gregory, Doug Eichner, Mark Spaeth, and Tim Farr averaged 43.93 mph. The team of Gilberto Santana 2a took second overall on a DS 650 averaging 41.93 mph. Mike Cafro's team took third with a 39.57 mph average and Danny Rudd the second Honda bike took fourth with a 39.06 mph average. There was two v force 700 one ridden by the #1a team of Jimmy Stephensen, one yfz450 ridden by Greg Row of the alba team, a few 400ex's, 250r's, bombs, raptors, and there was two xr650 quads one ridden by Wes Miller who was leading after the 200 mile mark or so but I guess they had some problems, not sure if they finished.

SpeedBump
11-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Well, got a call from my brother today....his money is down for a new 450R. The dealership is gettin only 1 each month until March or April, then they say they get 2-3 a month. The Dec. 450R is sold, the Jan. 450R is sold too.....now the Feb. 450R goes to my brother. The nice thing about it is he keeps his quads at MY house. He lives in the city, and got minimal places to ride. I live out in the country and have plenty of room here. Right now I have his 2000 400Ex and his son's 250EX sittin out in the garage now. He thinks the 400EX is sold to a guy where he lives, and it will be replaced with a shiney new R. :devil: BTW I just realized something.....this thing is going to be a true HI-perfomance quad , and I am too old, fat and slow to really get all the performance out of it. Can you say OVERKILL??? :eek2:

Honda Jay
11-22-2003, 08:31 PM
that is great news for myself and others waiting on the public arrival of the new beast:cool:

trueblue450
11-23-2003, 11:50 AM
ahw man that is awesome... i cant believe a stock quad can win the baja 1000.. those guys have to be awesome riders to get barely any ride time on the thing before the race and win the thing. Wow i thoght the 450rs shocks looked kinda skinny compared to the yfz but they must hold up great.

Good news for hondahttp://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

trx440
11-23-2003, 01:51 PM
The Winner (http://bbs.off-road.com/photobb/data/672/2dsc_009010.jpg)

I should have mine in just a few weeks.

bigz-71
11-23-2003, 02:27 PM
the first thing i want is a new bumper. i hate the stock honda front bumper, its ugly. well i am glad to see that the bike did what everyone was hoping it would do. i got one coming but i ordered it last week. i am just as ready as the rest of yall are.

Trx4Life
11-24-2003, 05:28 AM
You know I was just looking through all the older posts... there was a lot of talk of Honda dropping the ball on the 450. Well those people must have not been paying attention, Honda didn’t drop it they spiked it after they crossed the line 2 hours 38 minuets and 41 seconds ahead of the yz. Yeap sure sounds like an inferior quad to me too...

r450rr
11-24-2003, 05:34 PM
yea i agree with u

thats a statement,,,an i know i am goin to hear it about (look what riders team honda had... and all that) but the point is it came in first,,lol

i just cant wait till mine comes in:devil:

Guy400
11-24-2003, 05:38 PM
While Honda did have a damn good squad it's not like the other teams were a bunch of slackers. If I read correctly one of the guys who won last year was on a YFZ this year.

BigAl
11-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Ok, now this is all in good fun, so relax.....

The Rincon won the Baja last year, did all you guys trade for Rincons because they are obviously very good .

Bad Habit
11-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Good point about the Rincon. The Baja is not about having the fastest machine alive, it's about finishing. The results of the Baja have nothing to do with how fast the 450R will be on the MX track or XC course. It does however give a very good indication of how well built it is. Remember, those two bikes were completely stock (except for seat, tank, handle bars and tires/wheels). The mere fact that it finished is saying alot. But a machine finishing first with the exact same suspension, motor etc. that you can buy off the dealer floor, that's what I'm excited about.

All indications (IMO) are pointing towards Honda's long standing reputation. Maybe not the highest hp numbers. Maybe not the most suspension travel. Maybe not the best specs on paper. But THE best total package and unquestionable reliability.

Merriman
11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but those bike were not as stock as they appeared. My cousin Scott was one of the riders on the 7a. bike that came in 4th. a few days before the race they were able to ride the "Stock" bikes, and he said they were OK, and could be made competitive with a few modifications. Then they delivered the "Race bikes" He told me it was THEE best bike he's ridden, and could easily win in Baja. He felt better on it than his past Roll Design 250R's, and other bikes. During testing Scott was clocked on Radar at 96mph, and was not full throttle. What Honda did to the "Race bikes" I don't know, but he had a completely different opinion about the 2, so you be the judge....

Just like the Stock rincons, that were actually custom built racing utilities, these 450R's were built for one purpose.....winning the 1000.

Another factor to why Honda is SOOOOOOO succesful in the baja is because of the support they bring with them. When you have the right Pit support, and chase team, and let's not forget the HELICOPTER in the sky that spots all the trouble for you. (imagine how much faster woods racers would be if they had an eye in the sky giving them the best path to take, and what was ahead.....I've also seen the Helicopters fly real low when it get's dusty to "help spot better" but actually clear the dust away for their riders..)Plus they had 5 guys to switch out on the 12a. bike while the YFZ only had 2 people. So the racers for Honda had a lot longer break before they had to race again so they were more refreshed and able to keep a higher pace. There are so many factors that go into a race like this it's unreal. But with what Honda factory support brings to the table if they didn't win I would be amazed.

My cousin is Scott Callen....started the race on the 7a. TRX, and was leading until he wrecked after ojos negros....

Bad Habit
11-24-2003, 08:59 PM
You may have a point there Merriman...........
http://bbs.off-road.com/photobb/data/673/2finish2_034.jpg

I don't think these are the people from the local Mexican Honda dealership:D

Bad Habit
11-24-2003, 09:07 PM
But as far as the bike goes, it still as the stock suspension (probably tuned and tweaked to the max) and rolling chassis. Pretty much all the other bikes there had Roll, Axis, Elka etc. etc. I understand too about the rider availability and support team. But still, I'm impressed with the bike doing as well as it did.
Was the motor done up alot? My guess is no because a mild motor is gonna last better than one that is high strung. My guess would be gear selection to get it to cruise at Baja speeds. Any other info????????

r450rr
11-24-2003, 10:51 PM
i would have to agree.. they couldnt make it go super fast and be that reliable for that kinda race.,.. they just prolly had it geared to where it would cruise at baja speeds..an not high rpm.

does anyone know the average speed of the r ,, during that race

Merriman
11-24-2003, 11:18 PM
average speed was 43.?? mph. I am betting that the frame, and suspension where stock geometry, and appeared stock, but probably made out of a better material (i.e. 4130 chromoly). As far as Motor work, from what I've heard is they only had the HRC kit in them, with a different exhaust. I can't confirm this though so who knows.

86atc250r
11-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Merriman

Not sure why you are trying to discredit the accomplishment of your cousin or the other riders, but all the engine in world, all the helicopters in the sky, all the pit semi's in Honda's arsenal won't win races by themselves.

No one prevented other teams from coming as prepared (or more so). No one prevented Yamaha from showing up had they wished to. No excuses...

The fact remains these quads appear very stock. Stock suspension, stock chassis, stock engine cases - that means it won't be too terribly difficult to bring a stock one up to this same spec if a person wants to. As numerous people have said, there's not a whole lot of power in these engines that hasn't already been exploited.

Congrats to both teams of Honda 450R riders - an excellent showing for the quad's first outing....

The statement has been made - if you think the 450R will not be competitive - you're WRONG.

11-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

The statement has been made - if you think the 450R will not be competitive - you're WRONG.

Ditto.:devil:

Got Huevos?
11-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
Hate to burst your bubble, but those bike were not as stock as they appeared. My cousin Scott was one of the riders on the 7a. bike that came in 4th. a few days before the race they were able to ride the "Stock" bikes, and he said they were OK, and could be made competitive with a few modifications. Then they delivered the "Race bikes" He told me it was THEE best bike he's ridden, and could easily win in Baja. He felt better on it than his past Roll Design 250R's, and other bikes. During testing Scott was clocked on Radar at 96mph, and was not full throttle. What Honda did to the "Race bikes" I don't know, but he had a completely different opinion about the 2, so you be the judge....

Just like the Stock rincons, that were actually custom built racing utilities, these 450R's were built for one purpose.....winning the 1000.

Another factor to why Honda is SOOOOOOO succesful in the baja is because of the support they bring with them. When you have the right Pit support, and chase team, and let's not forget the HELICOPTER in the sky that spots all the trouble for you. (imagine how much faster woods racers would be if they had an eye in the sky giving them the best path to take, and what was ahead.....I've also seen the Helicopters fly real low when it get's dusty to "help spot better" but actually clear the dust away for their riders..)Plus they had 5 guys to switch out on the 12a. bike while the YFZ only had 2 people. So the racers for Honda had a lot longer break before they had to race again so they were more refreshed and able to keep a higher pace. There are so many factors that go into a race like this it's unreal. But with what Honda factory support brings to the table if they didn't win I would be amazed.

My cousin is Scott Callen....started the race on the 7a. TRX, and was leading until he wrecked after ojos negros....

ah got any more excuses? :rolleyes:

Guy400
11-25-2003, 05:05 AM
I'm now reading accusations of Team Honda cutting the course in order to win. LMAO...sore losers:o

SECCRS
11-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Come on guys I am a honda rider through and trough, but if you think those quads where anywhere stock you are smoking the good stuff. Thats like saying Miguel Duhamel and Nickey Haden all ride stock RC 51.

Trust me these are going to one of the best quads on the market. But as far as it being stock " I DONT THINK SO"

Doug

seatec
11-25-2003, 06:08 AM
iAgree. I understand that it’s exciting that the quad you are so desperately waiting for and hope to make a good showing has won the Baja. I would be excited too but don’t delude yourself thinking that there was a stock quad puttering around out there. You have to admit that that is definitely not Honda style. They leave nothing up to chance. Why do you think they hurried and signed Farr for instance? The pro rider makes the brand. (RC???). You know as well as i do that far could win on a Z400 if he wanted too and RC could win on a Kawi (like Bubba is already doing)

Don’t want to start a war but you guys need to definitely take a chill pill because you can breathe now. The TRX450 is one of, if not, the best quad on the market. Just don’t start embellishing (sp?) the story like "wow, last year a stock Rincon won the Baja and now a stock TRX450” Get real. Oh and btw, for all of you who thin that you can win races with just a good quad and no real support team is dreaming. Ask the pros.

Dunlap
11-25-2003, 06:28 AM
My first race for Honda was 20 years ago at the 1000. Marty Hart and I teamed up on a 360r three wheeler. We rode 200 miles aday for 5 days so we knew the course real well. Honda would never cheat but they do there home work and if someone cut the course it was not like they were told to it by anyone from Honda.

SECCRS
11-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Ok, I talked to a team that was there racing the quads at the Baja 1000. So this is not hear say this is first hand info.

If you have never been to Baja or heard stories from baja the course gets changed in route. Not by the official but by the locals.

Specifically story coming out of this years Baja was top 3 trophy trucks where not only off course but where 60-70 miles off course. After a Highway section there where to take a left, well apparently the markers had been changed and had them going right. It took till one of the helicopters spotted it and finally got them turned around.

Another was if you read on score's web page they changed the course 4 days before the race. ago They had them re-route around a soft soft sand bed. Well once again the locals decided they still need to run this route and get stuck in the sand. And have several vehicles stuck out there.

So as far as them cheating I highly doubt it. Do I think they could have gotten off-course that is very likely. You are talking about a 800+ mile race. Hell I know riders that get lost on a 8 mile loop.

Doug Parker

Bretmd94
11-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by seatec
iAgree. I understand that it’s exciting that the quad you are so desperately waiting for and hope to make a good showing has won the Baja. I would be excited too but don’t delude yourself thinking that there was a stock quad puttering around out there. You have to admit that that is definitely not Honda style. They leave nothing up to chance. Why do you think they hurried and signed Farr for instance? The pro rider makes the brand. (RC???). You know as well as i do that far could win on a Z400 if he wanted too and RC could win on a Kawi (like Bubba is already doing)

Don’t want to start a war but you guys need to definitely take a chill pill because you can breathe now. The TRX450 is one of, if not, the best quad on the market. Just don’t start embellishing (sp?) the story like "wow, last year a stock Rincon won the Baja and now a stock TRX450” Get real. Oh and btw, for all of you who thin that you can win races with just a good quad and no real support team is dreaming. Ask the pros.

soo? that frame that looks stock is just made to look stock? your right.. its probably titanium or somthing. And the stock shocks are probably made to look like that too. So what if they are revalved. The bike is also running on stock A-arms. We all know there is probably some hardcore motor work done but its not like the YFZ450 in the race was stock. And im sure the YFZ probably has aftermarket suspension.

But yes we cant put all the glory on the bike, Tim far was racing it for part of the time. And honda put together a great team. But Yamaha didnt. Yamaha needs to throw down for some sponsored riders. Because this race sure makes the 450R look a whole lot better than the yfz. It even made you get all defensive. The closer and closer the 450 gets to coming out the better its looking. :macho

XANDADA
11-25-2003, 08:49 AM
wow, I think just finishing the 1000 is a statement in and of itself. 1st place is amazing, go red!

:eek: :cool:

86atc250r
11-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Sure can tell who the YFZ450 owners are in this thread :)

Don’t want to start a war but you guys need to definitely take a chill pill

That's right guys.. No more talking about the Baja. All this talk about the 450R may irritate or offend some of the YFZ owners out there and you know as well as I do, the Yamaha guys wouldn't have said a word if a YFZ had won.

Those of you telling us how not stock these two quads are - take a look for yourself - there are several pics of these machines online, I've got 15 I've pulled from off-road.com from all different angles.

No one's saying these machines were bone stock, but they *were* surprizingly stock - more so than anyone, including myself expected. No aftermarket control arms, no aftermarket shocks, no aftermarket swingarm, no aftermarket axle, no aftermarket chassis parts that I noticed other than wheels, tires, and pegs. Heck even the bumper was stock.

Someone alleged that they were running chromoly instead of a stock frame. Take a close look at the pics - they painstakingly made it identical to a production frame if that's the case - pinched tube and all.

Engine? Who knows - are you guys changing your tune now though? Is there suddenly tons of power to be found in engine mods on a CRF or TRX450R?

What's left for "super trick" parts that we can't see? They have a supercharger hiding under the seat? A cloaking system that makes 20" Custom Axis shocks mounted on a full Roll chassis appear as stock? How about a set of unobtanium nitromethane injected carrier bearings....

Personally, I think Honda was trying to make a statement by showing up with the quads configured the way they were - their new quad is good enough to compete with the best of them with minimal modification. Did they make their point?

Wingnut
11-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Yes they did!

Pappy
11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
i reckon honda answered the yammy with a large THUMP:p

rtyfz450
11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
all I have to say is factory support is great to see in quad racing and as we all know honda doesn't like to loose. Yamaha didn't show up no one's fault but their own and this dissapoints me it would be cool to get more factory teams in baja for quads but I hope this season is filled with them. I can't wait to see Farr ride against Gust, factory on factory. That will be some good racing just how it has been in the past except we will see alot more money involved, more competitiveness and hopefully some tv coverage. This will bring more innovation to the quads that we currently see and make up for all those years of new factory inspired graphics.

seatec
11-25-2003, 09:32 AM
That's right guys.. No more talking about the Baja. All this talk about the 450R may irritate or offend some of the YFZ owners out there and you know as well as I do, the Yamaha guys wouldn't have said a word if a YFZ had won.

Those of you telling us how not stock these two quads are - take a look for yourself - there are several pics of these machines online, I've got 15 I've pulled from off-road.com from all different angles.

No one's saying these machines were bone stock, but they *were* surprizingly stock - more so than anyone, including myself expected. No aftermarket control arms, no aftermarket shocks, no aftermarket swingarm, no aftermarket axle, no aftermarket chassis parts that I noticed other than wheels, tires, and pegs. Heck even the bumper was stock.

You know what!? whatever , dude. is just no making sense with some people. Yes Honda is the greatest and will always be.

Happy now

Bad Habit
11-25-2003, 09:34 AM
I would be excited too but don’t delude yourself thinking that there was a stock quad puttering around out there......... Don’t want to start a war but you guys need to definitely take a chill pill because you can breathe now. The TRX450 is one of, if not, the best quad on the market. Just don’t start embellishing (sp?) the story like "wow, last year a stock Rincon won the Baja and now a stock TRX450” Get real. Oh and btw, for all of you who thin that you can win races with just a good quad and no real support team is dreaming. Ask the pros.

First off, the 450R was closer to stock than any of the other quads entered. It did not have aftermarket arms, shocks, swinger. Everything else entered did. There was more than one quad there with $4000 worth of Roll harware. The Rincon that won last year had custom made, one-off suspension and I don't recall anyone saying it was stock.

Second, is this the same chill pill that all the YFZ owners needed to take when the SPECS on the 450R came out and they all said "what a POS"? People judged the 450R based on a piece of paper but now that it has a race (arguably the toughest race known) under it's belt, these same people are saying everything to discredit the bike's accomplishment.

I'm in no way trying to turn this into a YFZ vs TRX bashing contest. I've ridden a YFZ and I am very impressed with it. If I was forced to buy a new quad today, I honestly don't know if I would choose Red or Blue.

11-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i reckon honda answered the yammy with a large THUMP:p

more like SMACK!

VIC
11-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Why do you think they hurried and signed Farr for instance? The pro rider makes the brand. (RC???). You know as well as i do that far could win on a Z400 if he wanted too and RC could win on a Kawi (like Bubba is already doing)

Yeah so what happened to Jeremy Mcgrath when he left Honda?
I'm sure they didn't sign Farr for desert riding either

seatec
11-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
more like SMACK!

yup you are right. the Honda is the BEST EVER quad made in the world. it is so much better than a YFZ450, us yfz riders shouldnt even dare to egt on the same track as you trx riders. lol

Are we having fun yet?

86atc250r
11-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Posts like that exemplify (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=exemplify) the ignorance (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ignorance) out there.

Note that no one even insinuated (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=insinuated) that the YFZ is junk, slow, or otherwise inferior (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=inferior).

We were talking about the TRX's win when suddenly some YFZ owners ego's were hurt and they chimed in making excuses and claims about the TRX. Those claims were addressed and now look at the arguments you pose - no substance, only drivel (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=drivel).

The YFZ and TRX are both poised to be great quads & there will be many close races between the two - I'm not sure why so many YFZ owners decide to take the low road and constantly criticize the new Honda and those that talk about it.

What point exactly were you trying to make with your last two posts? All I read was a whiny little voice mumbling something about not having the ammo to debate with the big kids. :)

Doibugu2
11-25-2003, 11:08 AM
atc, I had to look up drivel:rolleyes:

Pappy
11-25-2003, 12:22 PM
drivel:confused: hell i thought that was the toy all the jewish kids played with:o learn something new everyday...and today i learned that yamaha didnt even have the nutz to back a team at that race:devil: anyone smell smoke:macho :blah:

11-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
...and today i learned that yamaha didnt even have the nutz to back a team at that race:devil: anyone smell smoke:macho :blah:

That's because their full race team, rigs, and mechanics are still waiting for the rapturd that entered in 2001 to finish the race....:eek2: :devil: :eek2:

jarred15801
11-25-2003, 02:15 PM
from what i read in that article the only things they nsaid that were not stock on the R were the wheels, tires, higher seat, exhaust, and a carb. those are all that were stated in the reading.

knighttime
11-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Rico
That's because their full race team, rigs, and mechanics are still waiting for the rapturd that entered in 2001 to finish the race....:eek2: :devil: :eek2:

u betcha :D

XANDADA
11-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Baja 1000 results, Class 25 (Open ATV)

1. Poncho Castro/Doug Eichner/Tim Farr/John Gregory/Marc Spaeth-Honda TRX450R-18:27:34

2. Ruben Martin/Gilberto Santana-Bombardier DS650X-19:20:33

3. Carmen Cafro/Mike Cafro-Honda TRX400EX :eek: -20:29:47

4. Scott Callen/Shane Hitt/Alberto Marquez/Danny Rudd-Honda TRX450R-20:45:28

5. Alex Croswaite/Antonio Espinoza-Yamaha YZ450-21:06:15:devil:

Guy400
11-25-2003, 03:06 PM
I agree with Gabe that we weren't bashing the YFZ. We were simply acknowledging the win by the TRX on a freakishly stock looking chassis until a couple YFZ owners came in and cried foul. You're telling us to take a chill pill because these are the results of one race but some of these Yamaha owners were the same ones screaming the praises of the "stock" YFZ that Ellis raced and won on a couple months ago. That "stock" quad wound up having LSR arms on it and Axis shocks. I'm not arguing that because the TRX won the Baja 1000 that it's going to win every race it enters because it won't. There will be plenty of race wins going to both teams. If you're happy with your YFZ, keep it. Whether the TRX won or not is inconsequential to me. Just the fact that it competed and finished without any major chassis or engine failureson it's first major race is what pleases me. The fact that it was the Baja 1000 and that it did win is simply an exclamation mark.

Fred55
11-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Honda made its official return to ATV off-road racing by winning Class 25 (Open ATV) and taking first overall ATV at the 36th-annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 with the brand-new, never-before-raced TRX450R. The come-from-behind win over several larger-displacement machines was backed up by a second TRX450R ridden to fourth place despite an early race crash that left the rider with a broken collarbone-though he managed to nurse the damaged bike and himself 20 miles to the next pit.

The winning team consisted of veteran racers Poncho Castro, Doug Eichner, Tim Farr (Honda's official factory-supported ATV racer for 2004), John Gregory and Marc Spaeth, who covered the 808-mile course in 18 hours, 27 minutes, 34 seconds, at an average speed of 43.78 miles per hour. That was quick enough to earn them 16th overall vehicle of the 272 original starters, and put a whopping 53 minutes between them and the second-place team. Scott Callen, Shane Hitt, Alberto Marquez and Danny Rudd comprised the riders of the fourth-place ATV, finishing in 20:45:48 on the second TRX450R. After Callen's injury, Rudd rode the last half of the race, and felt the effects afterward of what was considered the toughest, most technical Baja 1000 ever. Besides tight, rocky sections, competitors faced conditions that ranged from hot, dusty and dry to cold, foggy and even rainy. Of the 272 starters, just 153 finished.

This marked the second consecutive victory for a factory-backed Honda ATV in the 1000 after last year's rather surprising 1-3 finish by a pair of virtually stock Rincon sport-utility quads. Unlike last year, however, the pair of TRX450s was widely expected to vie for the win this time.

"The main purpose of racing the 1000 with the new bikes is to confirm the base performance for this product," Honda R&D Chief Engineer Hajime Shogase said before the race. To that end, both 450s were only very slightly modified-a different carburetor and exhaust, dialed-in stock suspension, taller seat and aftermarket wheels with Baja-oriented tires being the notable changes. "Basically, every rider on the two teams was happy with the suspension setting change, and they loved the power!" Shogase reported.

Though they drew the 12th starting position, the eventual winners were in third place unofficially by the time they reached Valle de Trinidad about 110 miles into the race. They continued to hunt down the front-runners until Spaeth caught up to the lead ATV about halfway into the race and saw the leader crash in a silt bed. Seeing that, Spaeth veered to the left but also hit something and tumbled into the powder. However, he got the Honda restarted before the other rider and sped by. That essentially ended the race as the TRX450R simply pulled away in the last half.

"The bike worked awesome!" Spaeth exclaimed. "The only thing I had a little bit of trouble with was the helicopter-I've never had a helicopter over me so it was a little bit intimidating having somebody watching you."

"Everything went smooth," Farr said. "In the past, the teams I've ridden for have just had a lot of problems-organization and bike problems have always plagued the teams that I've been on. This year with Honda and Golden West Cycle it was completely different."

"This bike is everything you could want in an ATV," said Eichner who took the start and finish sections. "The powerband is very useful and very, very easy to ride. The bike handles really well, and it's built like a Honda-it's built good!"

Baja 1000 results, Class 25 (Open ATV)

1. Poncho Castro/Doug Eichner/Tim Farr/John Gregory/Marc Spaeth-Honda
TRX450R-18:27:34
2. Ruben Martin/Gilberto Santana-Bombardier DS650X-19:20:33 3. Carmen Cafro/Mike Cafro-Honda TRX400EX-20:29:47 4. Scott Callen/Shane Hitt/Alberto Marquez/Danny Rudd-Honda
TRX450R-20:45:28
5. Alex Croswaite/Antonio Espinoza-Yamaha YZ450-21:06:15

trx440
11-25-2003, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 86atc250r
- no substance, only drivel (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=drivel).

I had the drivel once. No big deal, a week on antibiotics fixed that leaky pipe.:)

86atc250r
11-25-2003, 11:17 PM
More info than we needed Rob...

hotrodhonda400
11-26-2003, 07:17 PM
In 99 didn't honda test their 400ex the same way, also taking the win If i remember right they did , looks like history repeats itself again huh:blah: congrats Honda

cr500r
11-26-2003, 07:30 PM
we all know, even the yami guys, honda built one tough quad. this is the first of many, many big wins honda can put under their belt in the forseeable future.

MIA450R
11-26-2003, 09:25 PM
A different carb???

What carb was on these 450R's???

Guy400
11-27-2003, 03:18 AM
A true CV carb off a Raptor...lmfao:D

I'm going to guess and say it was a FCR.

CEET400ex
11-27-2003, 08:22 PM
I have a lot of pics of the 450R in the Baja race..someone post their email addy & ill sned them to you cuz i dont wanna host them

SECCRS
11-28-2003, 06:13 AM
These are not the ones on the off-road.com site are they?

If there not I would like them.

Doug@seccrs.com

CEET400ex
11-28-2003, 08:36 AM
they are the ones off the site but they havent been posted yet so i was just wonderin if anyone wanted to post em cuz i cant...