PDA

View Full Version : 250ex running lean

polabareus
11-22-2003, 12:43 AM
I have a brand new 250ex (had it for 2 days) and I noticed the header glows red a little. I also hear faint popping when slowing down from faster speeds. The dealer said the popping isn't exactly normal but I must admit it is very faint. He did however say the header on those bikes will glow because they used a certain type of exhaust (he explained it but I was like, DUH?). I just want to know if this is true, anyone else with a 250 notice this?

RIDER11X
11-22-2003, 01:55 AM
What is your altitude where you ride? Most of the time...........factories jet machines to the rich side to be safe and not have engine damage. Have you made any exhaust, intake, or other motor modifications?

polabareus
11-22-2003, 03:39 AM
Im in minnesota so low altitude. Bikes just a few days old and all stock. So running rich would cause the slight glow on the pipe? Is it ok to run the bike a little rich? Does the cold weather play any part in this? Sorry for all questions but im new to this stuff. thanks,

11-22-2003, 05:43 AM
my 250ex never glowed but it did the popping in the first few days then it went away i think u jus have to break it in i don no bout the header though mine never did that:cool:

polabareus
11-22-2003, 05:53 AM
well, I only notice it at night atfter ive been riding awhile it glows, Not like molten lava but you can see it.

RIDER11X
11-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by polabareus
Im in minnesota so low altitude. Bikes just a few days old and all stock. So running rich would cause the slight glow on the pipe? Is it ok to run the bike a little rich? Does the cold weather play any part in this? Sorry for all questions but im new to this stuff. thanks,

Rich is fine, they don't run at their peak HP that way, but it is safer. New engines will typically glow the pipe just a bit on break in, so I would not be too concernd as the glowing will probably stop soon.:cool: Just my opinion.